What's new

AC680U and Merlin FW question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

..yes, port 443..why do you need that second server besides udp-1194?
When you are on the latest FW .42 or above, WAN services should be disabled by default.

TLS mode is the right one.
Just be sure you did put a static cert in the appropriate config-element and then enable the HMAC option (tls-auth)...see:
XMJstef.png

Enable tls-.auth in your VPN-Client and set it to side "1" if router side is set to "0" or vice-versa.

regarding automount...the ASUS should just do that once the disk is mounted once...no script needed after reboot.
Just refrain from using Volume/partition names...the disk should mount as sda1 (or sdc1, or...) and should do so after a reboot.

In Disk Utility the drive is displayed as:

62.25GB Patriot Memory Media
/Volumes/PATRIOT

is that a problem for the auto mount?

...errh...what Disk Utility :confused:

Check what gets/is mounted inside your router.
Login via SSH and issue the "mount" command.
This is mine:
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=127720k,nr_inodes=31930,mode=755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
/dev/mtdblock5 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sdc1 on /tmp/mnt/sdc1 type ufsd (rw,nodev,relatime,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,force)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/SDHC1 type ext4 (rw,nodev,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#

...my two usb disks are seen as sda1 and sdc1.
One is mounted with its Volume-name the other has none (as this did not work, I deleted the name on the disk/partition).

One challenge....

I haven't set up the router to allow SSH in as it has been a few years since I had to use a client like PUTTY.

Is there a pertinent guide I can follow? I was afraid of messing with those options in the router administration page because I didn't want to create a security opening.

I think I might have bricked something. I changed the SSH settings and hit apply and it froze on processing so i closed the browser and now when I try to enter the router via 192...

"Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

Even after a manual reboot....

this is just the nasty way of the ASUS to tell you to close the browser session yourself
since it has blocked it.

It'll re-enable itself after some timeout (20sec?) but just to make sure...

...close/end the browser programme, disconnect from the router physically (LAN or WLAN)...then reconnect and start the bowser again..try to connect after 30sec.

I did all of that. Even tried in other browsers. And two manual reboots. Each time I removed the Ethernet cable and re-inserted it.

Same message and on the other browser it just fails.

I am also using Chrome but for windows.

I can access the router via telnet and SSH using Putty but thats about it. No web UI. I imagine somehow the WebUI IP or port got changed but I dont know what to.

Ugh. Fixed. I changed it to Https authentication and it changed the URL to the one listed in that post.

*sigh*

I don't think you can change the port of the WebUI at all.
Since you are able to connect via SSH, the IP will be the same.

..I am out of my wits here ATM, sorry.
Do you have another computer to connect with another MAC-Adresse..maybe wirelessly?
Edit: Also try HTTPS....

My mount command gives this:

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=127720k,nr_inodes=31930,mode=755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
/dev/mtdblock5 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/PATRIOT type vfat (rw,nodev,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=winnt,flush,errors=remount-ro)

And when I reboot it doesnt automount it. But after all these reboots troubleshooting the login mistake (about 5) it did mount it on its own. So it seems to mount it sometimes and other times not after a reboot.

That disk has got one partition and Volume-name "PATRIOT" to it.
You should try and re-format it without a Volume-name.
Maybe even destroy and re-init the partition as well.

After that, it should mount under the same name as the device-name, in this case sda1.
And it should always do that...mine never failed.

This time around is FAT-32 ok or does ASUS work better with exFAT? USB is just going to have a bunch of music on it

I went with FAT32 since I want my MACOS to be able to read/write to it.

In terms of some of the other things you mentioned....

I successfully set up on both OpenVPN servers tls-auth. They both have the same static key for tls-auth, I hope that is alright. I set up one OpenVPN server to use TCP on port 443 because I had heard that in situations where you are behind a tough firewall this port isn't blocked. Makes sense if it is the port used for HTTPS to web-sites. And I figured it would be nice to have one UDP and one TCP server. Bad idea?

I know you said the WAN should be off but mine is on to handle my ISP modem. I believe that is fine, right? I attached a screen just in case I set something up insecure.

For the SSH stuff I set the following:

Telnet: No
SSH: Yes
Allow SSH Port Forwarding: No
SSH port: 22
Allow SSH access from WAN: NO
Allow SSH password: No (i set up a Authentication key with PuttyGen)
Brute force Prot: No

Authentication method: Both (HTTP and HTTPS)
HTTPS Lan: 8443
Enable Web Access from WAN: No

I saw that you have your option for SSH Port Forwarding set to yes. Should I set mine to that as well?

Any settings I should be mindful of in setting up FTP?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 11.24.42 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 11.24.42 AM.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 493
why connect nas and media player , when playing blu-ray file , the screen was freeze every 10-15Mins , freeze approximately 10-15 Seconds , then fast forward the lost 10-15 Seconds .

90Mins Movie , this condition appear 10 to 12 times , Is the Firmware Problem . I am using 374_43_2 firmware , 374_43_0 also abnormal.

When I change to RT-N66U , no such FREEZE appear during playing the movie.

The hardware I already TEST several times , It was absolutely running NORMAL.

Please Help....

Many Thanks

Chung, it might be better to start a new thread for that in the Asuswrt-Merlin forum. This discussion is mostly about setting up VPN, SSH, Samba, and FTP. And trying to get a USB drive to remount hehehe...

I am not familiar with the Media server. But I think the people who do will also need a lot more information about how you have your hardware set up on the network.

Good Luck!