What's new

AC68U - Google Fiber and WAN-LAN Throughput

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jrmtz85

Regular Contributor
Hi there!

I live in San Antonio, and after speaking with a GF rep, they expect I'll have service by the end of the year (they are 3 block away right now). I also asked and confirmed with the rep, that I can use my own router without issues since they only provide a Google Home router here (hooray no workarounds like elsewhere!).

I currently have 1000/50 from my current ISP, and as seen here:
https://imgur.com/a/ZCuGmaO

I do get 900mpbs+ on speedtests. However, the SNB page here:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/old-tools/charts/router/bar/74-wan-to-lan
says my Asus 68U should only be seeing 750.

Am I missing something? I'm running the 2nd most current Merlin release, have static IPs for most devices, m running both 2.4 and 5.0GHz WiFi, no USB usage, and use some port forwarding.

Just want to make sure the router is up to the task for full 1000/1000.
Also pondering an 88U for those extra LAN ports (unless someone has a better suggestion for an 8-port router that doesn't break the bank and has good throughput).

Side-question: could one of the USB ports on the router be used to power the fiber jack? Apparently the connection on the jack is a micro USB port, so could I theoretically power it with the router?

Thanks!

Just want to make sure the router is up to the task for full 1000/1000.

Nah, it's probably not... but that's ok.. speedtest isn't everything - packets per second and number of active connections are...

If they're going to toss in a google home device - take it, give it a try..

One thing that google has on their side is massive analytics that they've collected across their gigabit offerings, and they can tune their devices accordingly.

Hmmm.. is there any other site to test it for a bit longer then? Not that'll be using full gigabit 24/7.

And I made a mistake, its not Home its a single Google Wi-Fi. Has 2 gigabit ports, so I'd have to get a switch in my setup, requires a constant connection to Google to function, and blocks the advanced customization features that, if we're on a forum like this, we need. GF rep recommended I use it as an extender.

My 68U B1 would do 940 Mbps both ways with CTF enabled albeit at 100% cpu usage on core 1.

As for the 88U I would go with the newer 86U and add a switch if you need additional ethernet ports.

Side-question: I thought I remember reading somewhere on this site that it is not a good idea to use the routers usb ports to power other devices. I think in the thread they might have been discussing using the usb port to power a cooling fan.

I would measure the current used by this fiber box. 100mA it is not really a load for an USB-port but this will be permanently, so up to 150-max. 200mA I would use it too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I may bite the bullet and get an 86U and make do without the extra ethernet ports. Unless they maybe release something with those newrr specs and 8 ports by the time I get it. I'm still waiting til I have GF regardless to make sure it works as expected.

If I do get the 86U, do people recommend Merlin for it, or is stock FW good on it?

Are they providing an actual "Google Home" device or a standard Google Fiber router? I still use the GF router in my network path since I haven't gone down the path of figuring out what it really takes to replace it. I do not believe, at least in my area (KC), that you can just blindly plug in any router to the fiber jack and it works. This is all just from what I have managed to read....not that I have actually taken the time to test it to confirm.

My main point, is make sure you are using your router for the correct reason. The stock GF router (the version I have) has been fast as snot and trouble free for me. The only reason I run other gear is for other features not available (OpenVPN, proxy filtering, etc) as well as improved WiFi coverage on the upstairs level of my house.

Are they providing an actual "Google Home" device or a standard Google Fiber router? I still use the GF router in my network path since I haven't gone down the path of figuring out what it really takes to replace it. I do not believe, at least in my area (KC), that you can just blindly plug in any router to the fiber jack and it works. This is all just from what I have managed to read....not that I have actually taken the time to test it to confirm.

My main point, is make sure you are using your router for the correct reason. The stock GF router (the version I have) has been fast as snot and trouble free for me. The only reason I run other gear is for other features not available (OpenVPN, proxy filtering, etc) as well as improved WiFi coverage on the upstairs level of my house.

Yes, here in San Antonio they came in internet-only, so there's no need for advanced configuration stuff involving VLAN tagging, etc. Because of that, instead of the fiber box, they're providing 1 Google WiFi device, which functions like a standard run-of-the-mill router. The rep told me I can use my own router without issues, and keep the Google WiFi as an extender.

I would measure the current used by this fiber box. 100mA it is not really a load for an USB-port but this will be permanently, so up to 150-max. 200mA I would use it too.
For what its worth, my GF FiberJack has a 5V 2A USB power supply on it. No idea what the jack actually is pulling. Mine is also PoE enabled so it also can get power from the GF Router which I do have on UPS. Not sure if the same FiberJacks will be used in San Antonio or not.

USB spec is 500ma minimum. Anything extra is optional and has to be negotiated between the devices.

150ma max recommendation is extremely low.

Users power their external disks at 500ma via the router port with no issue.

If OP says the original brick is rated for 2A (2,000ma) then no, I wouldn't use the router to power it. It wont work.

If OP says the original brick is rated for 2A (2,000ma) then no, I wouldn't use the router to power it. It wont work.

I would agree - not a reliable source of power - that port is intended for low power devices (thumb drives) or devices that have external power.

There's been a couple of questions in the sub-forums about using the router port to power single-board computers (like the Raspberry Pi), and it's not recommended. Same goes with external HDD's that are bus-powered, that's been a headache for many..

Side-question: could one of the USB ports on the router be used to power the fiber jack? Apparently the connection on the jack is a micro USB port, so could I theoretically power it with the router?

Not recommended... while spec says 5v/500ma - many Micro-USB cables are intended to charge cell phones, and they can't carry the 2A of current that the USB port on the device is asking for. Use the adapter intended for that purpose.

I do quite a bit of development work on single-board computers - and the major issue I've seen with external devs/customers is bad power on the boards due to cables and AC adapters - many think just because it plugs in, it's good enough, and I'll state up front, it isn't.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!