What's new

AC68U to custom firmwire or not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gmaister22

Occasional Visitor
Hello guys,

i have an AC68U and i was wondering, what are the pros and the cons of installing a custom firmwire? In what way would it benefit me installing a custom firmwire?

Hello guys,

i have an AC68U and i was wondering, what are the pros and the cons of installing a custom firmwire? In what way would it benefit me installing a custom firmwire?

When it comes to Merlin or John's custom firmwares there are no cons that i can think of. Go for it !! :)

FWIW - my vote would be for rMerlin's builds - bug fixes and subtle enhancements...

And he puts everything on GitHub...

sfx

with Merlin, can i use the USB port to plug an HDD to use it kinda as a NAS? to be able to download torrent and stuff when my computers are offline

With Merlin's firmware you can access to the JFSS (persistent) partition, and enables you to install many packages through optware or entware software. I.E. Instead of that nasty Download Master I use Transmission as torrent downloader.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

FWIW - my vote would be for rMerlin's builds - bug fixes and subtle enhancements...

And he puts everything on GitHub...

sfx
I also put everything on github for the 374.43 fork.....link is in the changelog or in the README-merlin-fork.txt file.

Whats the fork version? i noticed the fork version is older
As you noted, the fork is based on an older code release with a history of being very stable. More for the 'set it and forget it' user.

It doesn't include
- The new TrendMicro DPI engine functions for ARM routers
- the enhancements to the networkmap for custom icons, client naming, etc.
- some of the enhanced gui formatting of later releases, for instance the new wireless log
- all the changes/tweaks that ASUS may have made since the original code was released

It does include
- older versions of the wireless drivers that some feel offer better performance (especially on the MIPS based routers)
- a different IPv6 stack which again works better for some
- less of a lockdown on tweaking power levels
- up to date maintenance for documented security issues
- up to date supporting open source components (such as dnsmasq, miniupnpd, etc)
- backports of applicable fixes and new functions from Merlin's main branch
- some unique tweaking options requested by users

I have installed Transmission.

Each time i reboot the rooter, i need to TelNet and
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission start

all the time manually? :S Isn't there a way to auto start Transmission automatically ?

I used Entware, i read that is better, less buggy and better maintained than Optware

Should i remove Entware and install Optware?

Probably. Entware is actively updated.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!