What's new

AC88U 2.4 GHz radio keeps shutting down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

demonbane

Occasional Visitor
I've been having a problem for a while now where the 2.4 GHz radio will sporadically shut down. When it first started, it'd happen once a week or so, but recently it's been 1-3 times per day which is really driving me nuts.

When I go to the web UI (running asuswrt-merlin 380.62_1), the wireless icon in the top right is half green and half grey. Hovering over it shows "2.4G: Disabled, 5G: Channel XX". If I SSH in during this time and run top, I can see that the system load is elevated (2+, usually 2.7-3.2), but there's no CPU or memory utilization to back that up. (which leads me to believe it's IO related, but I don't know how to troubleshoot that with the limited tools available)

At this point, the only thing that works is doing a full reboot of the router, which ends up meaning that the whole house is offline for a few minutes (even though all of the 5 GHz devices continue to work just fine).

As a side note, I've been trying to track whether this might be temperature related, but I can't find a good way to programmatically check the radio temperature from the command-line. I found another post here that suggested using "wl -I eth1/2 phy_tempsense", but the results that I get don't match up with what the web UI reports. Running it just now I get:

Code:
admin@Router:/# wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
59 (0x3b)
admin@Router:/# wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
69 (0x45)

while the web UI shows: 2.4 GHz: 49°C - 5 GHz: 54°C

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!