What's new

Adding RT-N66U router to existing RT-AC68P Set-Up?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Poseidon

Hey guys. I've always used a single router in my set-up and this would be the first time I would be adding a 2nd router to my network and I would appreciate some assistance.

Currently I have an Asus RT-AC68P router. In one of the rooms, I want to add an Asus RT-N66U router and connect my Xbox One console and my Apple TV - both WIRED via Ethernet.

How do I achieve this? Would the RT-N66U be set-up as an "Access Point?" And if so, do I connect it to the 68P router via 2.4 or 5 GHz (or some other way)?

The N66U is not going to be in the same room as the 68P.

Any help for best and most optimal set-up is appreciated. Thanks.

No, it should be setup as a media bridge.

Should be pretty straightforward. Use the 5GHz band for best performance.

Optimal would be if you can run an Ethernet cable from the 68P to the room where you're going to locate the N66U, then set up the latter as an AP.

Less optimally is what L&LD suggests, i.e., to run the N66U wirelessly as a Media Bridge (assuming you can't run a cable to it from the 68P).

Even less optimally, but still functional, you could also use Repeater mode on the N66U (assuming the N66U supports it...I don't own one and have never used the N66U, but I know that the AC66U supports Repeater).

If you're going to run Media Bridge on the N66U, I suggest you use Merlin's 378.53, because it seems to have solved many of the issues that I used to see when running Media Bridge on one of my AC66U's, which now runs flawlessly using that FW version.

BTW, an alternative to all of the above would be this (but only if you can run an Ethernet cable to the room where your Xbox and Apple TV are located): Buy a simple Gig-E switch and then connect it to the Ethernet cable from your 68P, and connect the Xbox and Apple TV in the other room to the switch. No real need for a separate router at all if you can run a cable to the other room, unless you also want to extend your wireless further (in which case you run an AP) or if you want to run the two devices on a different subnet (in which case you use the second router).

No, it should be setup as a media bridge.

Should be pretty straightforward. Use the 5GHz band for best performance.

I concur with L&LD...

I think the N66U would be an excellent media bridge - and then cable up the consoles in the media center to it.

If you can't run CAT5 over, try powerline - and then set it up as a second AP would be the other choice..

Last thing one would want to do is use it as a repeater - that will impact all clients on the WLAN...