What's new

AiMesh 2.0 node + vlan?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SubNoize

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Please excuse my crude illustration. I'm looking for an answer for what is potentially a simple issue. As you can see I have the main router which broadcasts 2.4 and 5ghz (red). I would like this to be extended to the blue node at the other end of the house so everything is on the same subnet (again, in red). Then I'd like a second wifi network which exists on another subnet and doesn't interact with the red network at all. I've done this by setting up a guest network but it seems that guest wifi separates 2.4ghz and 5ghz traffic?

wifi.png

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Welcome to the forums @SubNoize.

Do you have this working at any level right now?

When you connect a second router as an AiMesh v2.0 node, it extends your main network as you wish.

When you use Guest Network 1 (GN1) on both the 2.5GHz and 5.0GHz bands, it extends those too to the node and isolates them from the main network (if you set the option appropriately, of course, on the GN1 pages).

You can put the same SSID in the GN1 2.5GHz and 5.0GHz band and let the client devices decide where to connect to (if they can connect when set like this), but I do not recommend that even for the main network (I want to know where each device connects, and I control that by not associating it with the other band).

Apologies if I have missed your point(s), but it seems you have everything you want, already?

Thanks, @L&LD :) and thank you for your Nuke guide, my AC86U seems to be stable so far.

Yes, so I have it working at the moment like this. Which is also fine, I don't mind that the guest network is also being broadcast from the main router node.
current.png

When you use Guest Network 1 (GN1) on both the 2.5GHz and 5.0GHz bands, it extends those too to the node and isolates them from the main network (if you set the option appropriately, of course, on the GN1 pages).
meshguest.PNG

So this is how I have the GN1 setup and the following is the IP's GN1 assigns.
meshnode.PNG

See how it's placing 5Ghz on 192.168.102.x and 2.4Ghz on 192.168.101.x It's my housemate who is on GN1 and trying to have his devices all work together. With 2.4 and 5 on different subnets, the devices won't be able to communicate right?

Also, my housemate on GN1 said that even when both devices are on the same network, in this case, 5GHz the Google Home Mini is throwing AP Isolation errors.

I'd like for my outcome to be All devices on the red network can talk to each other and cannot communicate with any blue devices and all devices on the blue network can all communicate together but can't talk to/see any devices on the red network. Perhaps I need YazFi for this? though I'm not sure if it's compatible with AiMesh 2.0 etc.

Last edited:
Yes, see what YazFi can do for your situation. But not 'normal' YazFi, you need the develop branch, for now. :)

Guest network doesn't have internet access | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)
So I've installed the latest devlop but it doesn't seem to be working. Also I think this answers my question right.

@Jack Yaz I'm on the latest devlop branch 4.1.5 and when I click enabled "yes" it does the loading thing and then loads to "no"

Sorry, I don't have time to try/play with the develop branch yet. I don't think that link applies, it precedes the develop code you're testing with.