What's new

[Alpha] Preview builds for Asuswrt-Merlin 380.60

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thanks much as always - since upgrading I saw the following every 5 seconds in dnsmasq log:

dnsmasq[1438]: query[A] www.google.com from 127.0.0.1

worked my way to the top and saw it first requested www.google.com once, then www.baidu.com once, then www.yandex.com once, then back to www.google.com every 5 seconds.

assuming this was maybe happening before but either not going though dnsmasq or not being logged, added an entry in etc/hosts for 0.0.0.0 www.google.com to block and keep the logs clean but curious if anyone else also sees this or has any idea why my ac88u would be making these requests?
Looks like they may have left some debug code active. Querying those URLs is part of the routine to verify DNS access prior to setting the system clock. Is your system time set correctly?

Hello I just updated firmware 380.59 to 380.60 alpha 2 and all look work fine except in setup page vpn client some field show admin but vpn connect ok anyway...

Try factory reset and import back my config with Nvram Save/restore utility v24 and I got again "admin" in somes fields of ovpn client config...

Try factory reset and import back my config with Nvram Save/restore utility v24 and I got again "admin" in somes fields of ovpn client config...
Can you check if they were correct after a factory reset, then get set correctly if you manually change them? It's possible that some nvram variable use was modified that my save/restore tool isn't aware of.

Can you check if they were correct after a factory reset, then get set correctly if you manually change them? It's possible that some nvram variable use was modified that my save/restore tool isn't aware of.
I will try it tomorrow :)

DSL issues are often caused by line problems.

Asus uses the same rp-pppoe that is used by the vast majority of routers out there.
"rp", as in, "Roaring Penguin" ? I remember that from my Linux days (late 90's) and when I had DSL.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Hello I just updated firmware 380.59 to 380.60 alpha 2 and all look work fine except in setup page vpn client some field show admin but vpn connect ok anyway...

Sounds like a browser autofill issue.

thanks much as always - since upgrading I saw the following every 5 seconds in dnsmasq log:

dnsmasq[1438]: query[A] www.google.com from 127.0.0.1

worked my way to the top and saw it first requested www.google.com once, then www.baidu.com once, then www.yandex.com once, then back to www.google.com every 5 seconds.

assuming this was maybe happening before but either not going though dnsmasq or not being logged, added an entry in etc/hosts for 0.0.0.0 www.google.com to block and keep the logs clean but curious if anyone else also sees this or has any idea why my ac88u would be making these requests?

Asuswrt tries to resolve these names to determine if there's a working Internet connection. Asus implemented this quite a while ago, it's nothing new.

"rp", as in, "Roaring Penguin" ? I remember that from my Linux days (late 90's) and when I had DSL.

Yes. It's still the most popular PPPoE client for Linux.

Looks like they may have left some debug code active. Querying those URLs is part of the routine to verify DNS access prior to setting the system clock. Is your system time set correctly?

He probably has query logging enabled in dnsmasq.

So if 380.60 is going to make it so you can't flash to older builds, I think I might wait a few months on 380.59 till the improvements get juicy enough to make the plunge.

Maybe one of these early alpha builds that might not work right can be saved and used in the future to flash back to it and then flash back to older builds.

Anyway... I haven't been following this thread well, so pardon if I'm saying something stupid :)

Is your system time set correctly?

He probably has query logging enabled in dnsmasq.

Thanks both - NTP set to a single IP and working - I do have dnsmasq logging enabled, but did have in previous releases without these showing up.

Disabling via hosts entry doesn't seem to have any negative impact so will leave as is to keep things quiet :)

I do have dnsmasq logging enabled, but did have in previous releases without these showing up.

Your loglevel was probably set so the entries were filtered out.

Is there is a specific reason why I can't add a + symbol in the service name section for port forwarding? Past firmware's have always let me add a + symbol in that section.

Is there is a specific reason why I can't add a + symbol in the service name section for port forwarding? Past firmware's have always let me add a + symbol in that section.
Putting what is so often an operator/reserved symbol (or, say, a quotation mark, or a tab character, or an ASCII zero null, or a Control-Z end-of-file indicator) into an identifier field is such a bad idea, that am hoping nobody spends any time letting us do such a thing.

Putting what is so often an operator/reserved symbol (or, say, a quotation mark, or a tab character, or an ASCII zero null, or a Control-Z end-of-file indicator) into an identifier field is such a bad idea, that am hoping nobody spends any time letting us do such a thing.
But it's let me put it before on past firmware's.

Probably Asus trying to plug the numerous holes on the webui where people would enter all kind of non-alphanumerical characters in various fields, which would lead to a completely broken webui.

Still running "380.58_0" without an issue for 42 days uptime.
Nothing juicy yet for a major update to .59 or the alpha for myself but thanks RMerlin for the continued work.