What's new

[Alpha] RT-AC88U Firmware version 9.0.0.4_380_2339

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well you would think if this build is available for the ac88u, asus would also have one available for the ac3100. Which I'm calling "the little brother" currently as over the last two months, there has been a couple beta/alpha build's posted for the ac88u, and nothing for the ac3100. I know there are no promises, but as a customer, it does bother me a bit seeing these newer build's for the ac88u, and even the ac5300. Yet nothing for the ac3100, just left out in the dark.

If Asus main focus is the ac88u, then they should think about selling it retail at places like bestbuy, instead of selling the little brother ac3100. I personally picked up the ac3100 at bestbuy, which doesn't sell the ac88u currently. Anyways enough of me going off-topic, and ranting a bit. I just think asus could do a better job also supplying build's for the ac3100. As the AC3100, AC88U, and AC5300 is there newer routers out currently. I know there's also a good chance these beta/alpha build's will cause more problems then they fix, and might make them not use able. It's just a matter of having more build's to choose from.

When developing, you try to focus on very specific models, as otherwise you end up trying to debug things all over the place, making it more difficult and more time-consuming. The fewer you work on, the easier it is. That's also how I work personally.

Also note that these aren't made officially available by Asus either, they are reposted by users. Have you actually tried to contact Asus to obtain an alpha build for the RT-AC3100 (which is the official method of obtaining it)?

I have two alpha builds from Asus for the AC3100 but not sure if it's safe to share them with others I tried to ask Asus but got no reply. Any thoughts on this Merlin ?

When developing, you try to focus on very specific models, as otherwise you end up trying to debug things all over the place, making it more difficult and more time-consuming. The fewer you work on, the easier it is. That's also how I work personally.

Also note that these aren't made officially available by Asus either, they are reposted by users. Have you actually tried to contact Asus to obtain an alpha build for the RT-AC3100 (which is the official method of obtaining it)?

Yeah I sent them a email today at there router_feedback@asus.com email, mentioning this. To see if they happen to have a build for the AC3100 available. Hopefully get a reply back from them tomorrow, or next day. Also I understand what you're saying, and I know these build's aren't official. Privately shared beta/alpha build's, but I know a rep, or two look over things here. So I thought it would be worth mentioning, as they may have access to share it for this router. But like you said Merlin, I will work contacting them via email, and see how things go.

I have two alpha builds from Asus for the AC3100 but not sure if it's safe to share them with others I tried to ask Asus but got no reply. Any thoughts on this Merlin ?
Newer build like the one released this week for the AC88U? or a bit older build's you have? Just wondering.

In general when you get a build from Asus, assume you cannot share it until given explicit permission.

poor_poor is in a position where he is allowed to distribute those builds (and that's all I'm gonna say on this).

In general when you get a build from Asus, assume you cannot share it until given explicit permission.

Fair enough that's why I have not posted the builds I have received from them.

To any one else that wants to receive Alpha or Beta builds from Asus you need to send them a email and simply ask. Be patient it took a week before I got a reply and they keep sending me builds after that with out asking. The email address is below.

(router_feedback@asus.com)and use "RT-AC3100 MU-MIMO firmware" as mail title.

Newer build like the one released this week for the AC88U? or a bit older build's you have? Just wondering.

So far they have sent me, 9.0.0.4.380_1681-g65738a8 and 3.0.0.4.380_2310-g29dc229. Both seem to work fine. I dont have any MIMO devices at this time.

So far they have sent me, 9.0.0.4.380_1681-g65738a8 and 3.0.0.4.380_2310-g29dc229. Both seem to work fine. I dont have any MIMO devices at this time.
Okay cool, I'm sure them build's probably include a few other not named fixes as well, besides MIMO itself. I sent them a email at that email of theres, but I think I only made the email title AC3100 Firmware, not MIMO included. I'm sure it will be read at some point this week hopefully, and they email me back with a firmware.

Okay cool, I'm sure them build's probably include a few other not named fixes as well, besides MIMO itself. I sent them a email at that email of theres, but I think I only made the email title AC3100 Firmware, not MIMO included. I'm sure it will be read at some point this week hopefully, and they email me back with a firmware.

Yes there is other noticeable changes the network map has different and added icons, the TX power slider bar has changed also. Speeds are good no issues here many devices hooked up. Using 2310 :)

AC3100 and AC88U have been the same price since launch. Why people bought the AC3100 with only 4 ports instead of the 8 is beyond me. That's just me thinking out loudly.

One reason Local stores don't carry the 88U. 2nd they are not the same price although close the 3100 is cheaper. 3rd some people including myself have no use for more then 4 ports. 4th and this is just my personal preference I don't like the red antennas. :cool:

AC3100 and AC88U have been the same price since launch. Why people bought the AC3100 with only 4 ports instead of the 8 is beyond me. That's just me thinking out loudly.

In general, places that sell one don't sell the other. So quite often, people don't really have a choice. That would explain why they have the same price, while originally there was a 20$ difference between them.

88u support Flow Acceleration ( FA ) ?

Anyone know ?
My 87u go to RMA and now i have Three options... Money back, New 87u or change to other model.
Now i dont know what i should do.
Extra pay for 88u is 150€. is it worth it ?

Last edited:
what about flow accelerator ? is avaible in 88u ? Nowhere can I find information about FA in 88u.

Honestly the 88 has been the best device I have ever owned from Asus. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Ditto.

By far the best router I have owned.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!