What's new

Android Wifi Authentication Problem after update to RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_378.50_beta2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Schnaaa

New Around Here
Hi,

I have been following this forum for quite some time and was able to fix all my issues until today. I have a Asus AC66u router.
I also would like to thank Merlin for his great work and the effort he is putting in the project, as well as this forum for providing excellent support and solutions even for non members.

The Problem:
I just updated to the latest beta 2 and was coming from 3.0.0.4_376.49_0.
As written in the changelog a factory reset was needed which i did before and after the flash via the web interface.

After setting everything up again, i noticed that my phone (SGIII, latest cyanogenmod) and my tablet (Nexus 7 running latest omnirom) could not connect with the wifi and telling me there is an authentication problem.

My Mac running yosemite and another laptop running win7 can connect fine.

I then quickly read through the threads of beta1 and beta2 but no one seems to have that issue.

i then flashed the merlin fw from yesterday where everything was running and did a hw reset by pushing the rest button for 10 secs. Set everything up again but the problems were still there.

I then ran the asus firmware rescue tool (after i might have resetted the unit a bit too early when trying to flash the latest asus fw and) restored to the latest asus fw (problems still there) and now i am running the latest merlin beta again.
cfe version: 1.0.1.4

I can connect to an open guest network.

I would really appreciate any hints and directions.

Thank you in advance

EDIT: I have just tried something else. When i create a wpa2-psk protected guest network i can connect!

Last edited:
Ok the Problem is fixed i am pretty and was simply caused by my inability to type in a correct password!
But i did in with confidence and about 30 times...

:eek:

Have you noticed any speed test issues on phone with this build? I flashed to Johns build 374.43_7 the other day and all of a sudden speedtests on iPhone went from 250-271 down to like 17 using speedtest app. I can get maybe 48 or so using SpeedSmart. I re-flashed to Merlins 376_49_5 same problem and finally back to ASUS stock 376.3754 and still the same. Hesitant to try the beta but I guess nothing to loose :). PC's all seem about the same wireless and LAN. I am getting a link rate of 433 and using the Wifi Sweetspots app get a good connection showing 275-280 when on 5g AC 80mhz and 50-60 on 2.4 band 20 mhz. So it would appear I am connecting to the router at a good rate but it simply wont translate to speedtest. And I am aware any internet speedtests are subjective, but beforehand I was getting 250-270 at one point pretty consistent then around 170 or so after latest ASUS firmware. I can pull down 370-600 mbps on LAN (fiber ISP). Cannot for the life of me get either of 2 iPhone 6's back to high speeds again. Never was using SpeedSmart until this happened so cant say what that was showing before. On 2.4ghz/20mhz band I am getting around 30/30 on Speedsmart and 15/27 on speedtest. But on 5ghz/80mhz only 43/30 with SpeedSmart and 27/28 with speedtest. Just puzzled what happened. Big difference from 250!

Last edited:
Have you noticed any speed test issues on phone with this build? I flashed to Johns build 374.43_7 the other day and all of a sudden speedtests on iPhone went from 250-271 down to like 17 using speedtest app. I can get maybe 48 or so using SpeedSmart. I re-flashed to Merlins 376_49_5 same problem and finally back to ASUS stock 376.3754 and still the same. Hesitant to try the beta but I guess nothing to loose :). PC's all seem about the same wireless and LAN. I am getting a link rate of 433 and using the Wifi Sweetspots app get a good connection showing 275-280 when on 5g AC 80mhz and 50-60 on 2.4 band 20 mhz. So it would appear I am connecting to the router at a good rate but it simply wont translate to speedtest. And I am aware any internet speedtests are subjective, but beforehand I was getting 250-270 at one point pretty consistent then around 170 or so after latest ASUS firmware. I can pull down 370-600 mbps on LAN (fiber ISP). Cannot for the life of me get either of 2 iPhone 6's back to high speeds again. Never was using SpeedSmart until this happened so cant say what that was showing before. On 2.4ghz/20mhz band I am getting around 30/30 on Speedsmart and 15/27 on speedtest. But on 5ghz/80mhz only 43/30 with SpeedSmart and 27/28 with speedtest. Just puzzled what happened. Big difference from 250!

Try something like iPerf to test your WLAN bandwidth. It might make your trouble-shooting much easier to deal with. Android even has iPerf or "HE Network Tools" (which includes iPerf).

I just ran a test with the nexus 7 and i will 27/7 connecting via 2,4GHz which i think is ok. The SGIII connected to 5GHz will give me 40/7 but it looks like the phone is a bit on the edge.
I Just did a test with my Mac connecting via 5GHz and i will get pretty much the max speed i can get from my isp (75/7.5). The laptop is standing in the next room.
All tests were done with speedtest.net and the according android app.

I am not sure if this is helping you in any way?

From my point of view wifi speeds are ok.

Last edited:
There are many solutions available online which will help you to solve authentication problem in wifi connection on Android but not all of them works for you. "Modify network connection" is the only solution is work for many people.

Hope it works for you as well.