What's new

Are there any 802.11N routers that support link aggregation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hungarianhc

Regular Contributor
I'm going to get a Synology soon... and I see that, when supported, it can enable link aggregation for two ethernet ports to be used simultaneously. I know that a lot of advanced switches support this, but I'd love to get it working on whatever my next router is. Thanks!

I'm going to get a Synology soon... and I see that, when supported, it can enable link aggregation for two ethernet ports to be used simultaneously. I know that a lot of advanced switches support this, but I'd love to get it working on whatever my next router is. Thanks!
None I've seen. Probably too costly for small niche market.

Got it - is link aggregation worth it? If so, would i just get a switch that supports it, hook the switch up to my router?

Got it - is link aggregation worth it? If so, would i just get a switch that supports it, hook the switch up to my router?

If you are going for speed not redundancy, you'd need a switch with an uplink one tier higher than the client, and a router to match.

In other words, if you have 1Gbit ports on your device, and you want to aggregate them for performance of 2Gbit, your switch uplink and router channels both need to be 10Gbit to see a performance gain. If the switch uplink and router channels are 1Gbit, having a 2Gbit link to the switch buys you nothing.

As for whether it is worth it? Depends on your use. Do you need link redundancy? Will your Synology have a large RAID array that can saturate a 1Gbit link (128MB/s)? Striped RAID and parity RAID are generally faster than the constituent drives, but if you use mirroring RAID you will be limited to the speed of your disks, and unless they are SSD you probably won't beat 128MB/s.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!