What's new

Asus AC2900 RT-AC68U Rmerlin beta3 firmware and VPN client Xbox one double NAT issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shallo62

New Around Here
Hello all,

I have just replaced my trusty RT-N66U after years of sterling performance.
Sadly it was never cut out to run VPN client and maintain ISP full speed.
So after flashing the new router with Rmerlins latest beta I was keen to see how it would perform running a vpn client. I was blown away with the speed, ISP has 76Mb down and 18Mb up. With VPN client running I get 70Mb down and about 15 Mb up. So I am really pleased with that. The problem I have is when I went to play Xbox one, it complained about a double NAT issue and basically I cant play online. If I disable VPN all is well.
I just know barely enough to enable the VPN and I am well short of being close to a beginner when it comes to networking. Can anybody think of something I have missed or not done?
Thank you for any help on this issue.

Your VPN provider needs to support static IPs and port forwarding for this to work. You will have to check with them.

Your VPN provider needs to support static IPs and port forwarding for this to work. You will have to check with them.
Thank you for a quick and informative reply.
Who better to help than the guy who's firmware I am running :).

Hi Merlin,
I chased up my VPN provider (PIA), they informed me they do not support this for a router based solution.
They also said playing xbox one through VPN would not be good due to increased lag (delays incurred by the very fact of using VPN), I get this and understand.
I still love this new router and need to rethink how to achieve what I want, the ROG GT-5300 in a perfect world would have achieved what I wanted with VPN fusion. If it actually worked!
I have read the many threads regarding that device will not be supported by you, so not an option.
Is there a way to have the xbox connect to the router while VPN is enabled that lets it connect to the internet without going through VPN ?
Or do I simply have my old RT-N66U manage the lan connections VIA my 16 port hub and let new RT-AC68U manage VPN via wifi and any hardwired connections to it?
Thank you for any help.