What's new

Asus router speeds with VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Radleydm

Occasional Visitor
My first post so please excuse if anything is not correct.
I am in Portugal and I currently have an ASUS RT-AC66U-B1 to which is connected my 2 IPTV MAG boxes and my desktop. All connections are wired.
The ASUS, which has Nord VPN is connected (WAN) to the ISP router (FiberGateway GR241AG) as the ISP (MEO) will not allow a VPN on that router.
I have 500Mbps to the ISP router.
I am only getting ±40Mbps on my desktop which, as I say, is connected to the ASUS.
When I connect the desktop direct to the ISP router with no VPN I get ±490Mbps.
When I connect the desktop to the ISP router and put Nord VPN on the desktop I get ±120Mbps.
Clearly the ASUS is restricting the speed to the MAG boxes and the desktop to 40Mbps.
I am told that an ASUS RT-AC86U with AC2900 feature and with VPN (Nord) would allow more speed to the MAG boxes and the desktop.
Does anyone have any information which would confirm this?

Alternatively can the RT-AC66U-B1 be tweaked to increase the speed? I have to say that my knowledge is limited.
Thank you.

Alternatively can the RT-AC66U-B1 be tweaked to increase the speed?
No. That is the maximum speed that model is capable of. The RT-AC86U uses hardware encryption and is capable of > 200Mbps (dependant on the VPN server location and speed).

No. That is the maximum speed that model is capable of. The RT-AC86U uses hardware encryption and is capable of > 200Mbps (dependant on the VPN server location and speed).
Many thanks.
The VPN server location is in Portugal (Nord have 32 here) but I am not sure how to check their speeds. Often Lisbon which is about 150 kms away.
Since I get over 100Mbps on the desktop when it is connected directly to the FiberGateway but with VPN (on the desktop) Could I hope to get that sort of speed from an AC86U?

Using the NordVPN client on my desktop PC I can only get 200 Mbps on any of their servers. So even if my router was capable of going faster I would not see any more than that because the server is now the limiting factor.

Using the NordVPN client on my desktop PC I can only get 200 Mbps on any of their servers. So even if my router was capable of going faster I would not see any more than that because the server is now the limiting factor.
Again thank you.
My first encounter with the forum and my questions answered so quickly and efficiently.
I will now buy an RT-AC86U (AC 2900)

You're welcome. :)

P.S. If you have questions in the future try to post them in the correct forum (e.g. "ASUS AC Routers & Adapters" or "VPN") because you will get a faster response. This forum is for "Hardware routers, wired only".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!