What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.51529

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RSengine

Occasional Visitor
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.51529
Version 3.0.0.4.386.51529
65.79 MB
2023/04/13
Security updates:
-Fixed DoS vulnerabilities in firewall configuration pages. Thanks to Jinghe Gao's contribution.
-Fixed DoS vulerabilities in httpd. Thanks to Howard McGreehan.
-Fixed information disclosure vulnerability. Thanks to Junxu (Hillstone Network Security Research Institute) contribution.
-Fixed CVE-2023-28702 and CVE-2023-28703. Thanks to Xingyu Xu(@tmotfl) contribution.
-Fixed null pointer dereference vulnerabilities. Thanks to Chengfeng Ye, Prism Research Group - cse hkust contribution.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: b40babdef507e16043ec4dfebdceb98f

Link - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC86U/FW_RT_AC86U_300438651529.zip?model=RT-AC86U

Given the history of updates for this device and the problems that they have caused, I am going to wait and see how people get on before updating. They managed to break AIMesh in the previous update to the one that I am currently running. I would not be totally surprised if they've done it again.

I have an AC86U as my main router and a second one in AImesh mode. Am pleased to see updates in March and again this week, and that updates are so easy. I'm remote from the summer house where these are in service but have had no trouble accessing remotely and clicking Firmware Upgrade.

After 5 minutes I log back-in and not only is the main unit updated, but also the mesh node. Very happy with these.

For the remaining units... :)

You love to bag on these. Kinda funny because I have two GT-AX6000s ready to replace my AC86U main/AP combo at home, and I keep looking for excuses to install them, but I can't. I thought maybe my network speeds were lagging recently, but then I did some file transfer tests a few nights ago and got 80 MB/sec for large files over 5 GHz AC. And up until today, I was thinking that I would have to upgrade routers to get isolated guest networks on AP, but now there is a VLAN script to do it.

Last edited:
I keep looking for excuses to install them, but I can't.

Honestly, you may not see much difference. My last available AC86U was better than my current toy AX86U in range and wall penetration.

I have my main ax86u and x2 ac86u aimesh. I will wait a week or so before updating my ac units to see how folks get on. Nice to see its still supported

Honestly, you may not see much difference. My last available AC86U was better than my current toy AX86U in range and wall penetration.

Yeah, I think everything with the GT-AX6000 will be as good or better than the AC86U except range. And while the GT-AX6000 may be better in some areas, its kind of moot because I'm not unhappy about anything with my AC86Us now that I have isolated guest networks on my APs.

If your routers are not showing any sings of trouble and work in a cooler place - keep using them. You have more than one and if one fails you have backup and time to replace. If it was a single router I would replace for better reliability only, but you're good. I also like AC86U looks better than AX86U. The newer model is larger and looks like a pregnant guppy when you look at it from the side. AC68U was perhaps the cleanest design with no "gaming" BS.

1681588244155.png

They didn't fix USB Sleep Mode issue.:mad: So,this evil company ASUS wants AC86U users buy a new router right? ASUS can fix this issue but don't fix it on purpose.

Yes, what an evil company. Supporting a router for 10 years (so far).

No, you're not wrong.

But a 10-year-old 'tech' product is hardly relevant a decade later.

When people stop buying it, the sales and EOL tag will stop/appear. They are a business, after all.

But a 10-year-old 'tech'
2023-2017=10? Interesting math...

Yes, the RT-AC86U is the highest-performing AC class router I have used too, previously to using AX class equipment. The 'standard' that I'm comparing it to is the venerable, but old, RT-AC68U (one of the first models that displayed Wave 2 AC class performance expectations).

But when an entry-level AX class router shows how superior the new technology is, even with older AC class clients, the old 'king' is rightfully expected to retire gracefully (if maximum network performance is required).

So,this evil company ASUS wants AC86U users buy a new router right?

What else a business selling routers may eventually want from you?

No, you're not wrong.

But a 10-year-old 'tech' product is hardly relevant a decade later.

When people stop buying it, the sales and EOL tag will stop/appear. They are a business, after all.
10 years? Are you talking about AC68U? AC86U is only 5 years. Your speech doesn't make sense at all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!