What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wohoo, another firmware ;)

Im pretty surprised, this firmware has improved the 5Ghz speed with my two media bridges, I was getting 62-68mbps and now with this new firmware im getting around 78-84mbps that's major improvement. both routers haven't been moved either.

Plus the media bridge reports link rate of 780mbps before the new firmware update, and now its 1150-1300mbps jumps between those two speeds.

Beamforming is disable on both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands by default on this build. Hmm??
Yeh I noticed that too, Iv left it at the new default, and all seems to be fine, wonder why they changed the default to disabled..

Yeh I noticed that too, Iv left it at the new default, and all seems to be fine, wonder why they changed the default to disabled..
This is what ASUS@SG said about the beamforming:
We are testing on some devices, so we disable by default. <<< Unofficial build >>>

We will enable once finial build is ready.

This build also includes new revision of the driver.

Please let me know if you have any issue on this firmware.

Best regard,
JK

renfred89 wrote: Beamforming for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz are all disabled by default.. Wah, why is it so?

Dear renfred,

We are testing on some devices, so we disable by default. <<< Unofficial build >>>

We will enable once finial build is ready.

This build also includes new revision of the driver.

They require a factory reset AGAIN? WTF?
Was mentioned there was a update to the driver, so it's best to factory reset when changes like that happen. It's nice that they where kind enough to mention it at least, you should be more thankful. As you could easily be one of the people to complain about an issue, and a simple factory reset end up being the fix to your issue.

Was mentioned there was a update to the driver, so it's best to factory reset when changes like that happen. It's nice that they where kind enough to mention it at least, you should be more thankful. As you could easily be one of the people to complain about an issue, and a simple factory reset end up being the fix to your issue.

I don't agree. I am not going to be thankful for a router that has nothing but issues. And I am not going to be thankful if I have to reset my router every time they release a new driver. That's bollocks. Am I thankful that they mention that I have to do it? No. That's the least I expect.

I don't agree. I am not going to be thankful for a router that has nothing but issues. And I am not going to be thankful if I have to reset my router every time they release a new driver. That's bollocks. Am I thankful that they mention that I have to do it? No. That's the least I expect.
I understand you're frustrated, and I have owned the router myself since day one so I know of the issue's it has. But honestly, you're not gonna find another router on the market with same features, that is working better currently. As I have done plenty of research myself, and all these newer AC2400/AC3200 router's have plenty of issue's currently. I don't like spending $300 on a router with beta software, just like everyone else. Yet what option is out there currently that's better? There's not one, because if there was. I'm damn sure you, and many other's would of switched by now.

Btw I'm talking about the newer AC2400/AC3200 router's, not some of the older router's that have had time to mature, and had same kind of issue's there first year out. Hell some of them still have issue's for some people. However I'm in no way taking the side of Asus, as they need to do better with the software running on there router's. But the same can be said, for pretty much all the top router company's. Most of the issue's lie with the wireless driver company's honestly, and the thing is. All these newer router's, mostly use the same company for there wireless drivers. So when one router is having an issue, guess what? Same can be said for another brand router with same wireless offerings.

The biggest thing Asus has going for them, is at least they're pushing firmwares out at a decent rate. Sadly most of them have there issue's, but the same thing can be said, for other router company's. As they're pushing firmwares out slower, and still have issue's. You complaining about being recommended to factory reset your router with a new firmware(not official either) is senseless imho. You don't have to use the firmware, and post like that are not useful to anyone. It's only showing someone's frustration, however not offering anything to the subject at hand here. I'm now in same place replying to your post. Bottom line neither post is really needed here, and we should all be focused on being helpful with one another, with meaningful feedback. Not our own personal rant's about rather simple thing's.

Still don't agree, at least not entirely :) If consumers don't vent and rant, companies will not change. They will keep releasing rubbish. It's not my fault that their router is a bad product. I can see and understand how they are having issues with the driver and have to rely on third parties, but in all honesty: This is something they should know before they release a product to market. It's not my concern. I expect quality control and I also expect that I am not being used as a paying beta tester. It's entirely their fault. Not anyone else's.

That being said, if you have to force your user base to wipe their settings if you release a new driver, your design is fundamentally flawed.

One thing is clear for me: This was my first Asus product, and it will most certainly and absolutely be my last.

Still don't agree, at least not entirely :) If consumers don't vent and rant, companies will not change.

Venting and ranting on unofficial public forums will annoy more the other users than the manufacturer himself. They're the ones you should talk to, not the rest of us.

Was mentioned there was a update to the driver, so it's best to factory reset when changes like that happen.

I think I am ready to try this version. Can anyone tell me if "hard reset" I can do from the control panel, or I need to find that little button on the back and physically press it in for 10 seconds or whatever?

So far is working fine for me (I did a hard reset). AiProtection is working better, plus at the moment I'm not having the drops I was having on 4376

UPDATE: Some games are not working fine, not able to connect, reset it and some issues continued, so I rolled back to 4376. I'll wait for a better beta

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi,

Firewall v.3.0.0.4.378_4608 are now installed on my AC87U.

So far so good.
I have 14 devices connected (tablets, smartphones, laptops, computers, printer)
UPnP is working good.
No NAT loopback issue
VLAN1 loop seems to be fixed (br0)

- Adaptive QoS is enable (1000/1000 Mb/s)
- Parental Controls is enable
- DHCP Server is enable (Manually assigned 12 IP's)
- SSH is enable
- Tx power adjustment 50% on both bands

Disable:
- AiProtection -Network Protection (gonna enable it later)
- DLNA Media Server
- iTunes Server
- Samba
- FTP
- Universal Beamforming (default disable)
- WPS

Bugs:
- Traffic Manager - Traffic Monitor - Daily (I don't know if it counts correctly now - in previous release it didn't work very well)
- WPS? (I have disabled the WPS, but i think i did see it was enable on 5Ghz. I need to reboot my router to make sure. I know this was a problem in previous firmware.

After 6 hours uptime:
Temperatures:
cat /proc/dmu/temperature
CPU temperature : 83 C

qcsapi_sockrpc get_temperature
temperature_rfic_external = 0.0
temperature_rfic_internal = 66.6
temperature_bbic_internal = 75.0

wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
53 (0x35)

I report back in couple of days :)

EDIT: 23 hours uptime

So far so good, only bug i have is the Traffic Manager - Traffic Monitor - Daily
It only shows 0.01GB.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!