What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So I am still having issues with the latest release. My iPhone 6 still has connection problems and the internet will just randomly stop working even though the 5GHz network is connected. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?
I think I (I hope I don't eat my words like in the past 50million posts) finally have most stuff figured out, with the official firmware, I loaded the 87R one, all say it is the same but??

I have QOS on for ps4 lag, and now so far have none.

I also turned off beam forming for both bands (4 settings in all) and SO far NO IOS problems at all or any wifi problems. Turn off beam forming and try.

Just one problem left if the DNLA media server, it seems to not broadcast when the hard drive goes to sleep, so devices can not find it unless (I think, I need to test more) I wake up the hard drive. Any fix for this????

I think I (I hope I don't eat my words like in the past 50million posts) finally have most stuff figured out, with the official firmware, I loaded the 87R one, all say it is the same but??

I have QOS on for ps4 lag, and now so far have none.

I also turned off beam forming for both bands (4 settings in all) and SO far NO IOS problems at all or any wifi problems. Turn off beam forming and try.

Just one problem left if the DNLA media server, it seems to not broadcast when the hard drive goes to sleep, so devices can not find it unless (I think, I need to test more) I wake up the hard drive. Any fix for this????

The files are exactly the same R and U. Do a file compare with file hash and you will see an exact match, so for the record
The R and U firmware are exactly the same.

CC

The files are exactly the same R and U. Do a file compare with file hash and you will see an exact match, so for the record
The R and U firmware are exactly the same.

CC
That may be the absolute truth, BUT so far this on has lasted me the longest, maybe something is turned off by default in it? or maybe its just my imagination, or maybe ???
But all I know is I am actually getting good results with it so far.

It also has been reported that the Malicious Sites Blocking is broken.
Not tested that yet. (it's enable)
Asus Official Support just confirmed it is a known issue and that they reported it to the Taiwan headquarters.

Asus Official Support just confirmed it is a known issue and that they reported it to the Taiwan headquarters.
Sorry they always say it's a known issue.

Please watch out that in this firmware version (3.0.0.4.378.4376) the URL/Aiprotection (Malicious Sites Blocking) is COMPLETELY BROKEN. :eek::eek:
I have mine turned on and I tried it and didn't block 1 malicious site. They kept popping up. Not sure if this has been broken for the past couple of updates or they just are not blocking the sites I have had pop up.

Signature Fix

After a ton of trial and errors here is the fix:

Select the Trend Micro Icon in the Router
Enable everything
Check signature (will change to 1.3)
Go back to the Trend Micro icon in the Router
Disable everything.
DONE

Signature 1.3 sticks.

CC
I have 2 87u's 1 says 1.20 one says 1.28 neither worked with the turn off and on of trend micro. I'm going to try updating again maybe something didn't take.

Well I hope I fixed some problems for some at least with the beamforming, BUT I am getting massive lag now like usual, it takes 24 hours.

I also found a problem that always existed with asus firmware, and never found a cure to date, and it also happened with the 68r I still have. DNLA media server, it shuts down also after a while and needs to be rebooted or go into and hit apply.

These are things dd-wrt never has problems with, I just don't get it, I either reboot every day with asus firmware or just put dd-wrt on
confused.gif

Back to dd-wrt, I think I need a different brand router, I saw a Linksys AC3200 on sale, I think I am going to order that, any input from anyone here??

Well I hope I fixed some problems for some at least with the beamforming, BUT I am getting massive lag now like usual, it takes 24 hours.

I also found a problem that always existed with asus firmware, and never found a cure to date, and it also happened with the 68r I still have. DNLA media server, it shuts down also after a while and needs to be rebooted or go into and hit apply.

These are things dd-wrt never has problems with, I just don't get it, I either reboot every day with asus firmware or just put dd-wrt on
confused.gif

Back to dd-wrt, I think I need a different brand router, I saw a Linksys AC3200 on sale, I think I am going to order that, any input from anyone here??

Have you tried the latest DDWRT?

CC

Have you tried the latest DDWRT?

CC
Yes I am on it right now, working great, except for guest network (but no big deal).
After looking at other high end routers last night, all seem to have wifi drop problems with some complaining . I just wonder how many are affected by beam forming.

Yes I am on it right now, working great, except for guest network (but no big deal).
After looking at other high end routers last night, all seem to have wifi drop problems with some complaining . I just wonder how many are affected by beam forming.

Any better than previous builds? On all the DDWRT builds I could not get above 433 on the connection rate with my new macbook with ac wireless built in. On Stock firmware I connect at at least 867. The 433 is the figure from within the DDWRT firmware page. Do you see the same?
Also d/l from my attached 2 GB 3.0 USB drive the d/l rate is half of what I get in the stock firmware. Same thing with U/L speed to the drive. Do you also see this?

CC

Just a quick report from me. The R7000 still running flawlessly. No dropouts or problems first week, very different from the AC87. No need to look at R7000 related forums yet :-D

Similar speed, but better coverage in the far ends of our house with the AC87. Like the Asus setup program and parental control settings much better. But when the router is as unstable as the AC87 is in its current iteration that is not relevant...

Now both 87U and the R7000 have left the building (that developed intermittent unexplainable speed drops after a couple of weeks, ....). Back to Apple Airport Extreme, bought the new AC model. Better coverage and speed than the R7000 (slightly less than the 87U) in our home) and so far rock stable the most important feature for me in a Wifi router…. If it is like our previous gen 4 Airport Extreme I will probably not need to touch it again in 5 years when it is going to be replaced...

Less to learn but lot less headache and frustration...

I have 2 87u's 1 says 1.020 one says 1.028 neither worked with the turn off and on of trend micro. I'm going to try updating again maybe something didn't take.

Ok on both my 87u's they have 66u repeaters attached. I upgraded the two 66u's at work and now my 87u signature is 1.032 I'll have to check the home one and see if its the same. So for some may be an issue when a repeater is attached????

I have two 87u's linked in media bridge mode. Today I tried to upgrade them from 3.0.0.4.376.2769 to the latest version and to my surprise the second router couldn't join at 5Ghz. That looked like its 5ghz radio (after putting it to media bridge) was starting too late before a kind of timeout. Also tested at 2.4Ghz and was fine. Then I was downgrade'ing second router step by step to every FW below 4376. Every upgrade or downgrade got included factory reset and manual configuration from scratch. MB at 2.4Ghz worked always, But for 5Ghz the only working FW was 2796. Finally I tested the latest dd-wrt on the second router - still was unable to join at 5Ghz in repeater bridge mode. Back to 2796 and started working like a charm. Is anyone with two 87's linked in media bridge on higher or latest firmware ?

I have two 87u's linked in media bridge mode. Today I tried to upgrade them from 3.0.0.4.376.2769 to the latest version and to my surprise the second router couldn't join at 5Ghz. That looked like its 5ghz radio (after putting it to media bridge) was starting too late before a kind of timeout. Also tested at 2.4Ghz and was fine. Then I was downgrade'ing second router step by step to every FW below 4376. Every upgrade or downgrade got included factory reset and manual configuration from scratch. MB at 2.4Ghz worked always, But for 5Ghz the only working FW was 2796. Finally I tested the latest dd-wrt on the second router - still was unable to join at 5Ghz in repeater bridge mode. Back to 2796 and started working like a charm. Is anyone with two 87's linked in media bridge on higher or latest firmware ?
Something like that happening to me, when update to firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.3885, my 5.0GHz stop to work, i downgrade to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.2769. In Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4376, my 5.0GHz works fine, after a factory reset. I have RT- AC87R.

Iv been stalking the fourms for sometime now, but I decided to make an account,
as I have two AC87U in a media bridge, But for them to connect together, make sure to use a channel they both can connect too, In my case I had to use a channel between 36-48 on the 5GHz, Otherwise the media bridge couldn't found the host router. im on the latest firmware too ( 3.0.0.4.378.4376)

I currently have AC3200 as my main router and AC87U as AP and another AC87U as media bridge connecting to the AP.

In my case I had to use a channel between 36-48 on the 5GHz, Otherwise the media bridge couldn't found the host router. im on the latest firmware too ( 3.0.0.4.378.4376)
I was always leaving default "auto" in control channel.
Thanks for a hint. I will check this out this weekend.

EDIT: Confirmed working media bridge for static channel 48. It seems we got a bug for last several firmware releases. Many thanks to kossiewossie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wohoo, another firmware ;)

ASUS@SG said:
Dear all,

RT-AC87U 3.0.0.4.378_4608 Unofficial Beta

Download: http://bit.ly/1HcAYC5

Changelog:
- Fix br0 issue
- Update signature version to 1.032
- Fix other bug
- Added icon on client status

* Require hard reset
* Do not restore saved configure settings

Best regard,
JK

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!