What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U - Client list doesn's show all connected devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unpuertomex

New Around Here
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.384_32799

I'm having difficulty with two wireless devices both of which have fixed IP addresses and who also happen not to show up on the routers client list. Each device can connect to the internet without any issues, what I cannot do is browse each other shared folders.

One of the wireless units is a MS Surface Pro I repurposed as a Home Assistant gateway using Ubuntu 18.04 with Samba running, the other is Hp Spectre running Windows 10 home.

I can connect to any of these units from any other device on my network, Windows desktop pc, android phone, iPad pro, etc... but not with each other unless I let them sit for 30 to 45 minutes. Additionally, if I ping the Surface Pro from the Spectre (when I cannot connect to it) the ping results return back with the IP address of the Spectre (both machines has different fixed IP addresses).

Any thoughts of what could be going on here?

This is an example of the ping results, note I'm pinging .93 but the response is .131, the laptop I'm sending the ping from.

snip_20181118194458.png

Last edited:
Regarding the clients not showing up, may I ask what your router IP address and mask are? What I've seen trying various addresses is that only clients using the first 256 addresses show up in the client list. For example, my router (AC66U) is at 192.168.1.1 and I have a mask of 255.255.240.0, which allows me to assign addresses from 192.168.0.2 up to 192.168.15.254. However, only clients in the 192.168.1.x space show up in the client list, as if the client list code assumes an old class C network. (and no, I don't have thousands of devices - I use the address space to divvy up between types of clients -wired / wireless / TV-devices etc.)

For the two devices in question, have you looked at System Log > DHCP Leases and verified the IP and MAC address match what you see on the units?

Regarding the clients not showing up...
However, only clients in the 192.168.1.x space show up in the client list,

Exactly I also tried long ago to segment my devices much as you describe. There is another topic here, somewhere where I found @RMerlin talking about it, and there was no way to see the additional devices with the other IPs. Its one of the reasons I just found it easier to pull all mine back to one IP set.

Regarding the clients not showing up, may I ask what your router IP address and mask are? What I've seen trying various addresses is that only clients using the first 256 addresses show up in the client list. For example, my router (AC66U) is at 192.168.1.1 and I have a mask of 255.255.240.0, which allows me to assign addresses from 192.168.0.2 up to 192.168.15.254. However, only clients in the 192.168.1.x space show up in the client list, as if the client list code assumes an old class C network. (and no, I don't have thousands of devices - I use the address space to divvy up between types of clients -wired / wireless / TV-devices etc.)

For the two devices in question, have you looked at System Log > DHCP Leases and verified the IP and MAC address match what you see on the units?

I'm currently sitting on 192.168.2.1 and sub 255.255.255.0. I did verify that the IP matched the MAC address. The oddest part of this is that if I leave it alone for about 30 to 45 minutes they start to work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!