What's new

Asus RT-N16 freezing / unresponsive every two days after upgrading to Merlin 3.0.0.4_378.50_0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Raj Chatterjee

New Around Here
Hello All,
I was recently introduced to Merlin firmware by a friend. I upgraded the firmware to the latest Merlin firmware on my RT-N66U about a month ago and have been very happy with everything. Very stable and rock solid performance.

That prompted me to upgrade my older RT-N16 from a 2010 version of Tomato_USB to the latest version of Merlin. I upgraded via the Web GUI and it was a very smooth process. I use the RT-N16 as an access point in my Master bedroom and it provides gigabit Ethernet access to several of my streaming devices (Roku3, WDTV Live, Panasonic Smart TV and a LG Blue Ray player). Everything looked good and performance was pretty similar to what I experienced with the RT-N66U.

However, a couple days later I noticed that my Roku had no internet access and had an error message "Ethernet unplugged" or something similar. I noticed that all the leds for the Ethernet ports on the RT-N16 were off and only the Power and 2.4 GHz Wifi LEDs were on. I restarted the router and everything worked fine. Unfortunately, this phenomena repeated ever 2-3 days.

I then switched to the latest Asus firmware. Again it worked for 2-3 days and the cycle repeated. I did not find anything unusual in the router logs.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this ? Any troubleshooting tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Have you tried doing a factory reset? Do you have anything in the logs? Just a heads up: The RT-N16 is no longer officially supported by Merlin.

Last edited:
Have you tried doing a factory reset? Do you have anything in the logs? Just a heads up: The No RT-N16 is longer officially supported by Merlin.
Thanks Greg for your prompt response. I had done a hard reset after upgrading to Merlin and will certainly do that again when it freezes the next time.
I cleared the log when I restarted it yesterday and this is what I have now (not sure how the Dec 31st timestamps shows up if I cleared it just yesterday):

The update below repeats again and again:
Mar 28 14:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Mar 28 15:41:07 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address

Full Log is in the attached text file.

Attachments

• RT-N16 Router Log March 29th 2015.txt
    13.5 KB · Views: 332
If it's an 'older RT-N16' do be aware they have a latent hardware problem - an electrolytic capacitor goes bad - search using google for 'rt-n16 capacitor' to see how widespread this is. See many comments here confirm its not an isolated problem:-

http://www.nerdybynature.com/2013/10/26/fix-a-fried-asus-rt-n16/

Thanks mstombs. Since my router powers up just fine and works for 2-3 days I doubt I have this same capacitor issue. This is good info and may come in very handy at a later time.

hello, i have the same problem with "eth1: received packet with own address as source address". The fun part is that it is triggered mostly -as I have observed - by a win 7 home edition installation on a Toshiba laptop and my guess is that what triggers the kernel panic is the win 7 driver behavior. By any chance, did you succeed solving the issue ?