What's new

ASUS RT-N56U beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For some reason FTP (FTPES) WAN connections keeps crashing for time outs, with earlier version (3.0.0.3.116) FTP worked ok. :confused:

Have you tried connecting to port 2021 instead of 21?

Yes but then I can't connect at all, or there was another SUE involved. ;)

With this recent beta I can somethimes connect, sometimes not, and usually if I can connect it kicks me out after a while. Nothing but router firmware has changed at my setup, so I think there must be something different with this new one.

Hi Everybody!

I have put up a new beta firmware back on the OP, so please check it out and let me know how it goes :)

hello jeremy,
thank you for a great support ;)
why newer version has smaller number? from 3.0.0.4 back to 3.0.0.3...
anyway i think the most important number is after this, so from 154 to 165, but quite strange numbering :confused:
btw is there any changelog?

i have only one issue for now - i think this part of ui looks a bit strange, some useless space there and shadow goes over the area...

Last edited:
Print Server GUI Issue

I just installed the 3.0.0.3_165 firmware, and the admin interface no longer shows my USB printer as connected. I can still print documents; it seems to be only the GUI that's affected.

why newer version has smaller number? from 3.0.0.4 back to 3.0.0.3...

Asus's version numbers must be split this way:

3.0: the "main" firmware version
0.3: a development branch
165: the actual build number

Asus has multiple development branches at the same time. So, you can see 3.0.0.3.164 and 3.0.0.4.164 at the same time. Both would be the same basic version, but with different features enabled.

From what I gathered, the 3.0.0.4 branch so far has the forecoming CloudAI features (which is still in beta), while 3.0.0.3 does not. And on the RT-N66U, 0.4 also includes the 64KB nvram option enabled.

So in summary, 3.0.0.3.165 is newer than 3.0.0.4.156. The last digit is what matters here.

USB HDD unmount

the new beta fixed the problem when trying to install media server it was installed download master but there is still a problem that persists. If i try to stream a movie via DLNA from usb attached HDD, after less that 15 mins the hdd gets unmounted

here is the log:

http://pastebin.com/TCiJc3xv

now, before saying my hdd is to blame, i did test the hdd with HDD Regenerator and HD Tune - no errors what so ever, also i connected the same hdd to my laptop and streamed from there the same movie. no problems at all.

Also i would like to mention that even thou CL-Jeremy asks us to provide feedback here or via his email, i wrote an him an email and after he asked for my settings and got them i never heard back from him for almost 2 weeks.

Same goes to asus support, i mailed them , never heard from them for 1 week, but i got an email yesterday asking to provide feedback for the support they offered.

While i like the RT-n56u for the great speeds and pretty good wifi coverage, i can't say the same for asus support, either via its forums or directly via email.

Ok after some digging, I found that the problem might be related to the USB power because my hdd doesn't have separate A/C power. Funny is that on the official firmware the problems doesn't occur at all or very rare, so maybe the usb power output can be increased via kernel

Last edited:
So in summary, 3.0.0.3.165 is newer than 3.0.0.4.156. The last digit is what matters here.

That is correct.

Also i would like to mention that even thou CL-Jeremy asks us to provide feedback here or via his email, i wrote an him an email and after he asked for my settings and got them i never heard back from him for almost 2 weeks.

Same goes to asus support, i mailed them , never heard from them for 1 week, but i got an email yesterday asking to provide feedback for the support they offered.

While i like the RT-n56u for the great speeds and pretty good wifi coverage, i can't say the same for asus support, either via its forums or directly via email.

I am deeply sorry about the lack of communication. For your case in particular, I forwarded it over to someone who was going to take care of your issue. Since I hadn't heard anything back from you, I had assumed you were in contact with the other person.

For both you and anyone else, if there is a lack of communication from anybody (over 2 days), please contact us again asking for an update. We may still be working on your issue, but you can at least get a notice of it and remind us. We are very busy working with customers as well as new development so please remind us so that you don't fall out of the loop.

Again, I apologize, but I had no idea that is what happened to you.

That is correct.

I am deeply sorry about the lack of communication. For your case in particular, I forwarded it over to someone who was going to take care of your issue. Since I hadn't heard anything back from you, I had assumed you were in contact with the other person.

For both you and anyone else, if there is a lack of communication from anybody (over 2 days), please contact us again asking for an update. We may still be working on your issue, but you can at least get a notice of it and remind us. We are very busy working with customers as well as new development so please remind us so that you don't fall out of the loop.

Again, I apologize, but I had no idea that is what happened to you.
Ok no problem, glad now is clear about how should i proceed next time :)

Please tell me if you have any idea regarding my usb hdd unmount or direct me to someone who can have a wild guess about my issue.

I'm no expert but it might be either driver related or due power to usb devices

3.0.0.3_165 - lost config, no restore page.

Hi Everybody!
I have put up a new beta firmware back on the OP, so please check it out and let me know how it goes :)
I upgraded from 3.0.0.4_154 to 3.0.0.3_165_20120729. After the reboot, my config was gone and the unit was at factory defaults.

Once I was past the wizard (which I think would benefit from having a button on the first page to upload a config file), I tried going to the Admin:Restore/Save/Upload Setting page (Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp). The browser window went all white and there was no way to upload my saved CFG file.

I rolled back to the previous firmware and was able to restore my settings. Once I get some fresh screen shots of my configs, I'll try the upgrade again.

Cheers,
Lyle

I upgraded from 3.0.0.4_154 to 3.0.0.3_165_20120729 and the routur did not detect my 3g modem.
It detected it after reset settings to factory defaults, but it wont let me configure it.
The location and isp dropdown box is empty.
The modem did started to work after I restored previous firm settings, but the router still doesn't detect the modem and I still can't configure it. :confused:
My 3g modem is huawei e1820. The previous firm works better.
I can configure my modem and the router detects it even thought there is no model selection for my modem.

I've got an unusual one I think. RT-N56U router and I run the Media Server and FTP server only for the LAN, not WAN access.

I've had the ASUS standard flash on, last was 8G. I then loaded the Padavan Russian, last was 1.1.2.2.-005 new gui. Then this code starting with 135 drop. All was OK. I later loaded 154 and all was OK.

I was having connection problems with a new computer, it only connected N wireless speed at 150Mbps, other computer was connecting at 270Mbps (LinkSys 14x card).

OK, maybe it is the beta flash. So I put the Russian back. The FTP and Media Server tab was blank? Nothing there? All other aspects of the router appeared to work. OK, back to the ASUS 8G flash. Same thing? OK, reset button time to do a rescue restore of 8G... problem persisted? I then discovered with the USB drive off of the router, those tabs work, but are not worth anything without the drive in. Tried many different things, loading different ASUS and Russian flashes, all without the drive attached worked on those 2 tabs, but with the drive attached, tabs were blank... Once the Media server did work though, but I don't recall what I did, but it no longer did.

OK, last gasp, put back the beta 154 flash. Tabs work fine with the drive in. Upped to .165 and it still works.

However, there are new updates to both ASUS (8I) and the Padavan Russian flash (006), and I'd like to be able to test them too.

Is there something that has to be done to refresh the router so it will work on those tabs in those flashes with a USB drive attached? How can I completely CLEAN the router? The RESET button really doesn't do anything but put it into RESCUE mode.

Two things:

1. Clear the NVRAM. With the ASUS WRT beta firmware.
Telnet to the router, or http://192.168.1.1/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp

Enter these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram

reboot

So, when load the beta firmware, do the above, then configure. Also do this before you switch to Padavan's firmware.

2. When going back and forth with different firmware with a USB drive, running media server or download master or torrent transmission. If you look at the drive, you will find files/directories names starting with a "." (they are hidden files/directories in Unix). Examples: ".asusware" or ".dms" you will want to delete these files/directories, AFTER you turn off media server, download master, or torrent transmission.

I usually turn off the services first, remove the drive and then take it to another computer to delete the hidden files/directories. Then take the drive back to the router. Sometimes I have to delete the stuff while still on router, because Windows can't always delete everything (too long of file names, or weird directory links), if you are using NTFS formatted drives.

If you are using NTFS drives, do a "chkdsk /f /x" on the drive before taking it back to the router, or you are having issues deleting stuff.

NOW you can turn back on what-ever services you want, and things should work.

It's a pain, but when going back and forth to two different firmwares, you run into stuff. ;)

Last edited:
I finally got around to loading RT-N56U_3.0.0.3_165_20120729

Initial Cursory issues:
Traffic monitor still has issues of reverting back to the "Internet" tab in FireFox 14.0.1 with Flash 10.3.183.20

Media server 1.0.0.14 configuration web page (http://192.168.1.1:8081/mediaserverui/mediaserver.asp), STILL needs Download Master 3.1.0.59 to be installed and running. Otherwise "web page can not be found".

Also, there is no "Home" button on the http://192.168.1.1:8081/mediaserverui/mediaserver.asp webpage to take you back to the http://192.168.1.1/APP_Installation.asp web page.

Last edited:
Two things:

Enter these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram

reboot

So, when load the beta firmware, do the above, then configure. Also do this before you switch to Padavan's firmware.

2. When going back and forth with different firmware with a USB drive, running media server or download master or torrent transmission. If you look at the drive, you will find files/directories names starting with a "." (they are hidden files/directories in Unix). Examples: ".asusware" or ".dms" you will want to delete these files/directories, AFTER you turn off media server, download master, or torrent transmission.

I usually turn off the services first, remove the drive and then take it to another computer to delete the hidden files/directories. Then take the drive back to the router. Sometimes I have to delete the stuff while still on router, because Windows can't always delete everything (too long of file names, or weird directory links), if you are using NTFS formatted drives.

If you are using NTFS drives, do a "chkdsk /f /x" on the drive before taking it back to the router, or you are having issues deleting stuff.

NOW you can turn back on what-ever services you want, and things should work.

It's a pain, but when going back and forth to two different firmwares, you run into stuff. ;)

Thanks, I did run CHKDSK on a PC and it found some errors. Since there wasn't much on the USB drive, I copied the files off to another drive and after CHKDSK did a long format (of a 1TB drive, NTFS).

I knew about the '.*' files, I do remove those when switching.

However that alone wasn't enough to fix it, only the beta s/w works.

When I get a chance I"ll try cleaning the NVRAM... and try again.

Two things:

Enter these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram

reboot

Did this while on the Beta and it brought me back as if it was the first time... thanks...

OK, things got 'interesting'...

After I reset uids and pws and checked that wireless could connect I loaded the Padavan flash. Went well.. the few changes I made held and the wireless systems connected. The USB drive was out and I checked I could get to the USB page. OK. Connected the USB, SAME PROBLEM, can't?

So I reverted back to this beta... I loaded the Media Server (after connecting the USB) but to my surprise, the SERVER link didn't work? That is it opened but there was nothing on the page? Button to share with account was blank as was APPLY and no accounts shown for both Samba server and FTP? Misc settings worked though? I loaded the Media Server OK and that appeared to be working?

OK, one last thing, I was using Firefox, and I recall seeing a message about some things missing. Now I switched over to IE9. Those pages had the buttons I needed. OK, set it up, and came here to tell you. Decided to take some screenshots to post of IE9 and FF14. Guess what, after I set it up with IE9, FF now sees the same thing? Odd to say the least?

Now I wonder if Padavan's has the same problem? I have to set it up with IE before it can be seen in FF?

I'll probably try soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz
Two things:

Enter these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram

reboot

==============

Guz, can't make it work on Padavan (didn't try the last ASUS official 8i flash.

BLACK screens in both FF and IE for the USB stuff.

In addition the above didn't work, get an SH error? I did enable SSH.

Back on the Beta for now?

The "mtd-erase -d nvram" doesn't work on Padavan's firmware. The command just isn't there, which is why I run the command before loading Padavan's firmware.

After the reboot, I go straight to the firmware update page (http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp) skipping setting the SSID's, passwords, etc. Entering the default password of "admin" if it asks, then load Padavan's firmware.

Remember, always do this while connected via ethernet, not wireless.

If you are running the ASUS Beta, and want to configure the "Media Server", you have to install the "Download Master" first, then install the "Media Server", then you can get to the "Media Server" configuration web page. There is an issue with the "Media Server" install that doesn't install or run the lighttpd webserver software.

If you're running Padavan's firmware, I'm not sure what to do for you.

The "mtd-erase -d nvram" doesn't work on Padavan's firmware. The command just isn't there, which is why I run the command before loading Padavan's firmware.

After the reboot, I go straight to the firmware update page (http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp) skipping setting the SSID's, passwords, etc. Entering the default password of "admin" if it asks, then load Padavan's firmware.

Remember, always do this while connected via ethernet, not wireless.

If you are running the ASUS Beta, and want to configure the "Media Server", you have to install the "Download Master" first, then install the "Media Server", then you can get to the "Media Server" configuration web page. There is an issue with the "Media Server" install that doesn't install or run the lighttpd webserver software.

If you're running Padavan's firmware, I'm not sure what to do for you.

When messing with the router I *always* use a wired connection.

I did not have to install the D/L master, Media Server installed (and is working) just fine.

I've searched the various selections and tabs... found some 'interesting' errors...

One, this in the Wireless Log on the Administration tab :

=================
MAC address : 54:04:A6:90:48:70
OP Mode : Hybrid
Phy Mode : 11b/g/n
Channel : 1

Stations List
----------------------------------------
MAC PSM PhyMode BW MCS SGI STBC Rate Connect Time
A4:67:06:57:DD:0E Yes HTMIX 20M 7 NO NO 65 M 02:27:48
68:5D:43:23:9E:FC NO HTMIX 40M 15 Yes NO 300M 02:27:46
00:1D:7E:9E:46:46 Yes HTMIX 40M 15 NO NO 270M 02:27:19
78:AC:C0:5C:FC:B8 NO HTMIX 20M 7 NO NO 65 M 00:41:40
1C:AB:A7:F0:61:EB Yes HTMIX 20M 7 NO NO 65 M 00:35:13

Radio is disabled
===========================

OK, I think there are 2 errors above, the channel and the Radio Disabled (it is not)? I've attached my NETWORK MAP and these are correct. Not sure what the YES/NO is?

My DHCP leases :

============
Lease Mac Address IP Address Host name
83724 1c:ab:a7:f0:61:eb 192.168.1.52 Irvs-iPad-2
76973 00:1d:7e:9e:46:46 192.168.1.169 Laraine-HP
76943 68:5d:43:23:9e:fc 192.168.1.111 Laraine-XPS8500
76941 a4:67:06:57:dd:0e 192.168.1.5 Laraines-iPad
76923 0a:00:27:00:a0:bf 192.168.1.2 Irv-XPS435
===========

I get another problem when I try to connect with my iPad (192.168.1.52). It tells me it can't because 192.168.1.2 is and I have to :

===========
Login user IP: 192.168.1.2

You cannot Login unless logout another user first.
===========

Ok, sort of cryptic, but I assume it meant my machine, Irv-XPS435 is logged on? It doesn't have any broswer open? I'll try later when I shut mine down, but I know I've been able to do this before? I don't even get the UID/PW prompt?

Another problem, see second capture, I get different results from a REFRESH of the client list, every time I do a REFRESH I get different results? Not only that but my computer, Irv-XPS435 shows initially and then turns to 'home' which is the name of my LAN?

EDIT: Figured out when the iPad couldn't get in... I had to LOGOUT to allow it. Never had to worry about that with other flashes.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 550
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Status of testing so far, but before I give the status, I must give credit for the new GUI in 3.0.0.3*
I upgraded from 3.0.0.3_135 to 3.0.0.3_165_20120729.
The main reason for upgrading was to test IPv6. I was not able to get IPv6 to work in 3.0.0.3_135.
My ISP IPv6 provides the following setting;

DHCPv6 dual-stack /PD
Prefix /60
DHCPv6 to hand out both addresses and prefix. SLAAC (Stateless Address Auto Configuration) is not supported

As Lyle mentions in his message above, after upgrade to 3.0.0.3_165_20120729, unit was reset to factory default.
First I got IPv6 to work, my test sites; http://test-ipv6.com and http://ipv6.google.com.
Suddenly it stopped working. In order to get IPv6 enabled again, I activated "Traffic Manager", then deactivated.
Whether this was accidental or bug I do not know.

Under the option "firewall" I think it would have been a tab to be able to block incoming IP address / MAC addresses.
It seems that you have a lot of focus on controlling outgoing traffic.
Lately I have had a specific MAC address that has scanned all ports on the NAS here. Of course I know that there is only a few ports are open (web, VPN, etc) but I felt better about being able to just have black listed MAC address.
Cheers,

Thormod