What's new

Asus RT-N56U Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Loaded 1.1.2.1-004 a few days ago. I have had WAN disconnects since. Never had issues like that with stock firmware.

Switched WAN over to Static IP to see if that helps. May roll back to Asus firmware.

The firmware (1.1.2.2-006) seems much better than Asus 3.0.0.x betas. Great job!

However, I was not able to find QoS settings. In the original stock 1.0.y firmwares, I found it really useful to enable/disable QoS for video streaming, for example. Effects were amazing, eg. smooth playback, no dropouts or freezes. Was QoS dropped or am I missing something in the new web GUI?

So far so good with 1.1.2.2-006

One thing that I just can't figure out is how to make permanent changes to the /etc/smb.conf file. Where/how do I change it?!?!?!?

I finally found where/how to change mounting parameters for a USB drive (/sbin/automount.sh)

Just stuck on the samba configuration :(

Wow, just installed 1.1.2.2-006 firmware, like the new faster GUI, and there's guest network functionality and all. It was easy to verify that the hardware NAT was running while I was on the VPN, and so on.

What I couldn't find was controls for IPv6? Anyone know if there are controls for IPv6, and if there are, how do you get to them? Like I had expected to see an administration section for IPv6 configuration, and didn't find it yet.

On the whole though, I am very happy with the new look and the added functionality that is easily accessible as well.

Custom Firmware

Hi folks,
I'm running 1.1.2.2-006 very well.
I have a small question, I know that the code for this is under GPL and not sure how many people check this but is it possible that this code has provision to data mine your networks for sensitive info?

Last edited:
So http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/ RT-N56U_1.1.2.3-010
And we have some different colors:
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/233378/45455VhowsEsUwT/4pxFUGJYCB/802865.png
http://cl.ly/J2iM ;)

ATTENTION:
If your current firmware version is 1.1.2.2-006 or lower, it is absolutely necessary to save your
settings to a .CFG file using WebGUI BEFORE upgrading to a newer version. After the upgrade, restore your
settings from the saved .CFG file in a usual way.

Hi, after reading many pages of this forum, I bought the RT-N56U few days ago and installed the 1.1.2.3-010 replacing the original firmware.

-WAN disconnect problem still present: my pppoe disconnects at least two times/day. Hitting the "renew" to get new IP from dhcp and make new pppoe connection does not help, only full restart solves the situation.

-after installing optware unsing the described steps, i am able to use ipkg and install things like mc, transmission, etc, then after a while i get "input / output error " when issuing "ipkg" command. This is because somehow the router loses correct I/O access to the mounted USB HDD. The only way to fix that is by disabling Optware from GUI, removing the /opt folder from /media/AiDisk_a1/, umount drive, unplug, re-enable Optware in GUI, plug device, and start with re-creation of /media/AiDisk_a1/opt etc etc.

The worst part is that the already installed apps like transmission etc are lost even if you go with #mv /media/AiDisk_a1/opt /media/AiDisk_a1/opt_old, and then overwrite the opt_old folder back over opt on the new install. So you have to start all over from zero :(

Now the question: has anyone encountered same WAN disconnect problems with 1.1.2.3-010? (i first thought it happens only when i have a hdd connected on usb, but without it, it's almost the same..). Any solution to the router->mounted hdd I/O problem, that makes Optware unusable? Sorry for the long post, just tried to fill in the details. Cheers!

Last edited:
Disable wireless configuration?

Anyone know how to disable the ability to configure the router over wifi. I want to restrict it to wired only.
I'm on the stock Asus FW 1.0.1.8e

Last edited:
edited / removed long post

new firmware is miles better :D !! - released a few days ago: 3.0.0.4.260

finally the same interface as the rest of the line. Very pleased so far. upload is same speed (need to check for WAN disconnects though over time)

the whole unit should ship with this firmware

Last edited:
Anyone know how to disable the ability to configure the router over wifi. I want to restrict it to wired only.
I'm on the stock Asus FW 1.0.1.8e

Yes, you can go to the "Wireless" section under "Advanced Settings", then to the "Professional" tab. Set the frequency band (2.4/5 GHz.) to each radio band you want to disable, and click on "No" for "Enable Radio", then "Apply" at the bottom of the GUI page for each one. After doing this for both bands, 2.4 and 5 GHz., the wireless will be turned off. Remember that you have to click "Apply" for both bands before leaving each page, or the changes will not be permanent.

Not sure why ASUS didn't put the on/off controls for the radios on the main wireless settings tab, they're usually there with the other basic settings.

Sorry to bring the sophisticated discussion in this thread back to the elementary school level, but could someone explain why the firmware version number went from 1.0.1.8n all the way to 3.0.0.4.260? Seems like this is a major change. What happened?

Sorry to bring the sophisticated discussion in this thread back to the elementary school level, but could someone explain why the firmware version number went from 1.0.1.8n all the way to 3.0.0.4.260? Seems like this is a major change. What happened?

The firmware switched to a completely different codebase - Asuswrt, which is up to version 3.x (as it first debuted on routers which were on a version 2.x firmware base previously). So, the RT-N56 simply switched to that already existing firmware, which allows all those routers to share the same codebase, making it easier for Asus to develop and support for multiple routers at once.

That makes perfect sense, and also explains the need for the procedures Asus requires to load this firmware. Thank you very much.

"Asuswrt" sounds a lot like DD-WRT. Is the former based on the latter?

That makes perfect sense, and also explains the need for the procedures Asus requires to load this firmware. Thank you very much.

"Asuswrt" sounds a lot like DD-WRT. Is the former based on the latter?

Asuswrt is based on Tomato-RT. They did took the PPTP code from DD-WRT however, and other bits from various other projects.

There's a new firmware update 3.0.0.4.374.979 dated Oct 11th on the ASUS download page, anybody tried this out yet? The previous august release .239 decreased overall signal strength significantly, am hoping this release fixed that issue :rolleyes:

Trying it out, but the signal strength is still weaker then other versions.
3.0.0.4_360 seems to be the best firmware for me....