What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3264

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
2016/05/17 As expected:

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3264
ASUS has been dedicated to cooperate with third party developers to come up with more innovative features.
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified firmware verification rule to ensure better firmware quality.
This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware.

Security Fixed
- Fixed Samba Badlock CVE-2016-2110 (Man in the middle attacks possible with NTLMSSP)
- Fixed Samba Badlock CVE-2016-2111 (NETLOGON Spoofing Vulnerability)
- ASUS firmware did not enable Samba LDAP, and not affected by CVE-2016-2112 (LDAP client and server don't enforce integrity) issue.
- The Samba version in ASUS firmware was not affected by
CVE-2016-2118 (SAMR and LSA man in the middle attacks possible)
- The Samba version in ASUS firmware was not affected by
CVE-2015-5370 (Multiple errors in DCE-RPC code)
- Fixed command injection issue. Thanks for Chris' contribution.
- Fixed XSS issue. Thanks for Chris' contribution.

Bug Fixed
- Fixed Windows Radius server compatibility issues.
- Fixed 5G performance issue when using bandwidth monitor.
- Fixed bandwidth monitor incorrect number problem.
- Fixed setup wizard redirect issue when router automatically changed LAN IP in IP conflict case.
- Modified setup wizard process when router detected DHCP and PPPoE at the same time.
- Fixed bandwidth limiter bug when there are multiple clients in rule list.
- Fixed NTP automatically sync issue when router rebooted
- Fixed Safari slow response issue.
- Enhance AiCloud dynamic stream port mechanism (please also keep AiCloud app up to date)
- Fixed AiCloud share link related issues.

No GPL yet, but presumably it is coming as the AC66 one is there.

Interested to know what the first paragraph means for this specific router - can this be loaded from the web interface of previous versions or just blocks installation of previous versions? What about firmware load via PC router app or the CFE web console - I doubt if the CFE gets upgraded by the firmware?

Of course I could find out by myself and report here....

Is the website glitching for anyone else? When i go to download the new firmware it is just showing me the "utilities" and no firmware versions

same for me

Upgraded my RT-N66U from 9.0.0.4.380.2695 to 3.0.0.4.380.3264 as usual through the GUI without issues.
After the upgrade I got the normal logon screen, the configuration was kept.
I anyway restored factory defaults and manual configured the router again, all again without issues so far.

The wireless drivers are unchanged as expected: 6.30.163.2002 (r382208).
The only change I noticed sofar is that 5 GHz on automatic now selected channel 104 (instead of usual channel 48 which is also used by the neighbors). I manual changed it to 36 (the range of available 5 GHz channels is unchanged from 36 to 140 with exemption of the DFS trouble channels 120, 124 and 128).

NB: the firmware download is still available in the Netherlands.

can you share link to this fw ?

I don't notice any (major) differences or other settings in the GUI.
One thing I noticed is an "App" "light" in the upper right corner:

upload_2016-5-19_8-3-5.png

No idea what it means (it may even be there since some firmware versions).

Also the TX power slider is slightly changed again:

upload_2016-5-19_8-4-41.png

Trying to upload older firmware 3.0.0.4_270 or latest beta 9.0.0.4_380_2695 resulted in below (no system log message), so yes there is some firmware check intelligence:

upload_2016-5-19_8-8-8.png

I guess (as mentioned in other posts) that downgrade through the restoration utility may still work.

[EDIT]
Confirmed downgrade, see post #14.

Last edited:
I don't notice any (major) differences or other settings in the GUI.
One thing I noticed is an "App" "light" in the upper right corner:

View attachment 6372

No idea what it means (it may even be there since some firmware versions).

Also the TX power slider is slightly changed again:

View attachment 6373

Trying to upload older firmware 3.0.0.4_270 or latest beta 9.0.0.4_380_2695 resulted in below (no system log message), so yes there is some firmware check intelligence:

View attachment 6374

I guess (as mentioned in other posts) that downgrade through the restoration utility may still work.

I updated using the "click to update", then cleared NVRAM rebooted, reloaded settings.

Working fine, but was also wondering what the mysterious "App" light is for.

I updated using the "click to update", then cleared NVRAM rebooted, reloaded settings.

Working fine, but was also wondering what the mysterious "App" light is for.

The app light when clicked will pop up with qr codes to download their mobile apps that let configure some settings on the router without opening the browser etc. ( I'd say it has ~60% of the functionality of configuring in a browser)

The app light when clicked will pop up with qr codes to download their mobile apps that let configure some settings on the router without opening the browser etc. ( I'd say it has ~60% of the functionality of configuring in a browser)
Ah, the reason why I didn't see any use is because it does not work with my favorite browser Firefox. After your hint I tried it with Chrome and Internet Explorer which do work.
In my opinion this sort of "features" do not belong there.
Otherwise manufacturers shall stick with real standard code for webinterfaces, and avoid browser dependent code.

Last edited:
Heh, same, I use firefox, tried it with edge and it works

I can confirm by trying with version 3.0.0.4_270 that you can downgrade this version 3.0.0.4.380.3264 firmware through the CFE miniWeb Server and assume it will also work with the restoration utility.

GPL sourcecode for this release now available dated 2016/05/30

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_Download/ OS Others -> Source Code

Unusable unfortunately. The two MIPS GPLs are missing the new shared/prebuild/private.o binary blob, and also the 32xx binary blobs are incompatible with the 33xx GPL code. Asus inserted three new model IDs in the middle of the modelID enum rather than at the end, which caused all of the existing IDs to be shifted by one, therefore making the two incompatible.

Unusable unfortunately. The two MIPS GPLs are missing the new shared/prebuild/private.o binary blob
Oh dear
and also the 32xx binary blobs are incompatible with the 33xx GPL code. Asus inserted three new model IDs in the middle of the modelID enum rather than at the end, which caused all of the existing IDs to be shifted by one, therefore making the two incompatible.
So please can Asus fix the GPL creation script next release which is likely to be 35xx now ... since AC3200 already up to 3479!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!