What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - my review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using .100 for the past 12 hours, everything appears to be working well and very stable. I have ports forwarded, H/W Acceleration enabled, 4 IP cams connected (via dyndns), and recently added a 500GB USB drive. I have a NAS, but wanted to see how the system would respond with a USB drive connected.

The only (minor) complaint is; when I view wireless clients, I see mostly Mac and IP addresses. In the column that displays Mac addresses, a few will display the actual names of the client, but mostly Mac addresses. Is there a way to show names instead of Mac? That aside, I am pleased with the new FW...

Same boat with you, very stable. Indeed besides the laptops I only see the name for one camera (Trendnet)...It'd be awesome if all were listed with names not IP's or MAC. I tend to believe that is a problem with the end device not the router. Something has to resolve these IPs into names (DNS).

Same boat with you, very stable. Indeed besides the laptops I only see the name for one camera (Trendnet)...It'd be awesome if all were listed with names not IP's or MAC. I tend to believe that is a problem with the end device not the router. Something has to resolve these IPs into names (DNS).

Stable here since yesterday, too. It's so nice having working NAT loopback without losing stability that the .90 had.

I would love if they let us manually assign host names based on IP addresses. I doubt they'd ever add that, but I know DD-WRT lets you do it when you manually assign IPs to your devices.

I would agree, but my Linksys e4200 had no problem doing it.

Now that they appear to be getting a handle on the code, maybe that is something that will come in the future.

Just got this from Asus guys:

3.0.0.3.100 has been uploaded to our support site and will be available later this week. However, you may access 3.0.0.3.100 here:

https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s?u=GYYYL4K5IY

Fixed
- httpd crash after adding more than 24 entries
- disable ctf now while enabling port forwarding for nat loopback and setting port range

What is ctf? I'm a bit confused as what this does, if it fixes any 96 rebooting issues...Anyone wants to go first this time?

Well I upgraded mine, 10 min no reboots. CTF cut thru forwarding helps speed up pkt fwd between LAN and WAN but may reduce stability. What they did with this 100 fw, was to disable CTF to allow port fwd to work correctly.

Thanks again for sharing.
I wonder (since they have not posted pon the site yet), whether they are still testing it OR whether they simply need to wait for the next 'release' date (depending on which change control processes are required).

So is CTF permanently disabled in version 100???
I would think this is a temporary fix since Cisco has CTF (enabled) in some routers and I am not aware of CTF needing to be disabled on those to allow port forwarding to work, but I don't use it so it is possible.

Thanks again for sharing.
I wonder (since they have not posted pon the site yet), whether they are still testing it OR whether they simply need to wait for the next 'release' date (depending on which change control processes are required).

So is CTF permanently disabled in version 100???
I would think this is a temporary fix since Cisco has CTF (enabled) in some routers and I am not aware of CTF needing to be disabled on those to allow port forwarding to work, but I don't use it so it is possible.

Unfortunately yes CTF is disabled. The way I see this is like this: they wanted to provide a quick fix for reboots and old issues (NAT L etc) but in no way this is going to be the long term version.
Yes I believe the same ver (100) will be posted on their web soon.

Good evening to all,
I have a problem i can not open the doors with a firmware xxx.90 opsione there to open them all
sorry my english

I'm talking about opening ports TCP and UDP for eMule; ps3; nas; ecc to access from the outside there is an entry to open them all?

so i know that is the option, but what this option actually do?
My understanding, and i could be wrong, the N56 and N66 have dedicated hardware to handle data flowing thru the router, instead of software (handled by main chip) like some other routers. That's one reason N56 has massive routing capability.
I believe there's a write up somewhere in main site here. The N66 doesn't have much throughput as the N56, but still up there. Usually, something running on dedicated hardware better and will take load of the Chip for other functions. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

In other news, 1 day 23 minutes and still no weird stuff, maybe .100 its a keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.