What's new

Asus RT-N66u Slow/Random Speeds on 2.4GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I installed the 352 beta and still getting the same speeds. I'm going to force 20GHz on the 2.4 band and see if that makes a difference.

Still no luck with the new firmware. Standing right next to the router, 2.4GHz I'm getting around 18mbps, on 5GHz I'm getting 55mbps.

Just got my N66u setup yesterday, and i'm disappointed in the 2.4 band right now. When my laptop is connected to the 2.4 band, i get the full 50+ mbps that my internet offers (comcast). However, when i connect to the 2.4 via my iPhone 5, and run speedtests, i get around 19mbps, then if i run speedtest again, i sometimes get 25mbps, 30mbps, even up to 40mbps. This is all from 2 feet from the router. I've changed the channels around, and also enabled 40GHz. Can't figure out why the speed changes so much. The 5GHZ band works great, and gives me full speed.

Look at this speed test:

http://gizmodo.com/5945417/iphone-5-network-and-wi+fi-speed-tests

But what about Apple's claims that iPhone 5's Wi-Fi will be vastly superior because it now supports 5GHz bands in addition to 2.4GHz bands? Turns out that wasn't just hype. The iPhone 5 averaged 37.8 Mbps downloads when it was connected via 5GHz. It was only able to download at 8.7 Mbps when it was on 2.4GHz. The gap was even more exaggerated on the upload side. On 5GHz, it averaged 26.9 Mbps. On 2.4GHz, just 3.7. You can see it in pretty colors here.