What's new

ASUS WRT OPENVPN Server passthrough configuration?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Deni

New Around Here
Hi, I have Asus U66 WRT with Merlin upgrade on it and I am trying to configure OPENVPN server on it so I can see devices behind router from anywhere.
So far I have set up OPENVPN server on a router, downloaded config file and set client configuration on a remote computer.
The computer is successfully connecting to Asus OPENVPN server but I can not ping or reach devices behind the router in my local network.
Are there some settings that I need to enable, policies maybe. I don`t thing that it is the subnet because the IP for VPN and my home devices is coming from router and they are on the same subnet.
Btw, if I have two different computers connecting to the Asus OPENVPN server, will they be able to see each other?

Thank you,

It should just work with the default settings. I'm not sure what you mean by "the IP for VPN and my home devices is coming from router and they are on the same subnet". Don't try and be clever and use the same subnet for the VPN and your LAN, you'll just break things. Leave the VPN as 10.8.0.x and the LAN and 192.168.1.x for example.

BTW: "U66 WRT" isn't an actual model number.

It should just work with the default settings. I'm not sure what you mean by "the IP for VPN and my home devices is coming from router and they are on the same subnet". Don't try and be clever and use the same subnet for the VPN and your LAN, you'll just break things. Leave the VPN as 10.8.0.x and the LAN and 192.168.1.x for example.

BTW: "U66 WRT" isn't an actual model number.
Yes, sorry it is asus rt 66u.

I am using different subnets for VPN and LAN. And the computer connects normally to router but beyond that it can not see anything. Not sure why, but I can not even ping anything behind router. I think I saw similar thread when I googled it but there was no soultion.

What devices are you trying to connect to and how?

Some devices like Windows PC's won't respond to incoming requests from VPN clients because the Windows Firewall will block them.

Don't forget to set "Client will use VPN to access" to "Lan Only" or "Both", and also to run your OpenVPN client as Administrator to ensure it can set up proper routes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!