What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SonOfJorel

New Around Here
Good afternoon everyone, I'm sorry for this long post.

I been reading through the forum for months now and trying to figure out what do to get these XT8 working. You all seems incredibly knowledgeable.

I upgraded from an Orbi RBR50/RBS50 because the Orbi didn't let me manage my bandwitdth and I wanted to be able to install a network storage device. When the Orbi eventually started dropping connections to the nodes, it was time to go. It served a good 5 years problem free.

I ordered a 3 set of XT8 from Amazon 3 months ago and quickly found out that they sent 2 pack that were VERISON 2 and a 1 pack was a VERSION 1. Everyhting set up with no issue and ran flawlessly for 2 months. NOTE, the XT8's are runnning completely stock. I did NOT make a single change on the router. Nothing but set a static IP for my home alarm. They are connected via a wireless backhaul and the nodes are about 75 feet from the router. The system is running firmware 3.0.0.4.388_23285

I'm getting 900-1400Mbs on my hardlines and 200-500 on my wireles devices.

About 1 mount ago, I started noticing that I kept gettiing a NO INTERNET on my personal Android phone. It sits closets to the node that has Version 1 and simple toggle on and off of the wifi brings it back up online. This happened 1 or 2 times a week for 2 months, but only affected me. Over the last few days, I now notice that anything connected in that corner of house would get a NO INTERNET. On one occasion, I checked the Node that was having the issue (version 1) and saw the node rapid blinking blue. But this only happended once. All the other times it was still white.

So my questions are...

1) Is this no internet on wireless devices despite the hardwired devices a normal an issue for the XT8?
2) Is it possible that the one node that is a version 1 is having conflicts with the router and other node that are version 2?
3) Am I missing some critical settings on the router that I should have chaged from the STOCK setup?
4) If I pull one more CAT6, I can swtich to a wired backhaul but the connection will be Router (version 2) -> Node (version 2) -> Node (version 1). Is it ok to daisy chain the wired backhaul or do I have to homerun CAT6 form the nodes to the router?
5) Is there better option for a wireless mesh system than the XT8 that will support newtwork storage?
6) Should I contact Amazon and try to get the Version 1 node replaced with a Version 2 so all three units are version 2?

Sorry for all the questions. If it's too much, I understand.

Welcome to the forums @SonOfJorel.

1) Many issues with the XT8s. As I'm sure you've read about here.
2) Possibly. A full/proper reset of the nodes may be all that is needed to fix this though.
3) Specify what you have changed. Screenshots are even better.
4) Hardwired is hardwired, no matter the chain. Recommended, if possible.
5) Yes. No consumer router options though. If you want 'network storage', then spend money towards a proper NAS.
6) After three months+, not worth the effort.

Thank you @L&LD !

1) Many issues with the XT8s. As I'm sure you've read about here.

What do you recommend is best consumer grade Mesh router?

2) Possibly. A full/proper reset of the nodes may be all that is needed to fix this though.

This will be my next option. I'm got to hardwire the nodes.

3) Specify what you have changed. Screenshots are even better.

I can take pictures. I literally changed nothing. The router is 100% factory. I didn't band, channels, beam forming, etc..nothing. It worked out the box. Didn't know if there's a list "must do" setting changes for this router.

4) Hardwired is hardwired, no matter the chain. Recommended, if possible.

I'm going to do this. I'm sure this is the best option.

5) Yes. No consumer router options though. If you want 'network storage', then spend money towards a proper NAS.

Copy that. Still wondering what is really the best consumer grade Mesh system. Despite bad reviews for the XT8, every single "tech" publication seems to recommend the XT8. I wonder what real world users are using.

6) After three months+, not worth the effort.

I'm going to try. It may fail, but I think Amazon screwed me on this by sending me to different models in their "3-pack".

I've been thoroughly enjoying a pair of V1 XT8s for over a year. Except for a week or so supplying Internet to the house next door, the second unit was ever wired to the first. Over the vast majority of time they were (aren't) being used as a "mesh" but instead as "router" and "AP."

I've seen here many references to non-optimal experience but have always shrugged my shoulders in dismay. Running gnuton's Merlin I obtained nearly a year of uptime on the router (lost power for too long).

Drop a wire to the V1 node. 75' in open air line of sight, wireless would likely work well enough, but doubt that's your condition. Plus, with it wired you completely free up the 4-stream radio for client usage.

Beyond that, running as (one or both) APs instead of mesh nodes, you can divvy up the spectrum instead of everything using all the same channels. I have no basis beyond suspicion that if the head of the mesh doesn't directly "see" an offensive-to-a-node alien broadcaster, that node may struggle. In AP mode, that unit can "auto-channel" independently and successfully. That much I know for sure.

It seems the major difference between V1 and V2 is the change from the 6755 SOC to its replacement-in-the-lineup 6756. Should be entirely workalike.

Last edited:
Got notification about that post. Refreshing my memory I see some perhaps pertinent / important info was left out.

If (when!) one of these units is going to be configured as an AP, much time will be saved by completely assuring it cannot identify another in a running state. Seems you can't be "Johnny on the spot" enough to prevent self-configuration-as-a-node. It behaves nicely for such configuration, every time, when it feels lonely.

Just a brief update. I did contact Amazon and had it out with them for sending me one different unit when I order a three pack of the same unit.

I swapped out the version one with a version two, so now all three are version two.

So far the system is holding, but I'm still going to hardwire them in a few weeks.

Got notification about that post. Refreshing my memory I see some perhaps pertinent / important info was left out.

If (when!) one of these units is going to be configured as an AP, much time will be saved by completely assuring it cannot identify another in a running state. Seems you can't be "Johnny on the spot" enough to prevent self-configuration-as-a-node. It behaves nicely for such configuration, every time, when it feels lonely.

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

Well...I don't know what going on.

I ran Ethernet cables from the main router to the node my kids playroom and from the playroom to my office. So they are daisy chained, but connected.

When I tested the Ethernet cable and they all tested out good.

When I look at the LAN port connections on each node, the ports that are connected to the each node are GREEN and show a good connection.

But when I go to setting in the AI Mesh and try to toggle Ethernet Backhaul on, get this message.

* The following node(s) are not connected with an Ethernet cable currently.
ZenWiFi AX (Office), ZenWiFi AX (Play Room)

What did I do wrong. Do I need to reboot the whole system?

Router's LAN connected to first node's WAN and from that node's LAN to the last node's WAN? The system should've "gone to the wire" for backhaul automatically if so, with good wire / connectors.

Router's LAN connected to first node's WAN and from that node's LAN to the last node's WAN? The system should've "gone to the wire" for backhaul automatically if so, with good wire / connectors.

No. It's LAN to LAN to LAN.

Let me change that.

Now you can unhide the 5-2 SSIDs and utilize those (better) radios for (your "better") clients, too.

I think it auto enabled all three bands when I switched to Ethernet Backhaul.

Does this look right?
IMG_20231125_231220.jpg

All looks fine except that if 5-2 goes 160 where it's at (UNII-4) it's most likely any client connected to that radio will only do 80 due to lack of -4 support. I'd disable UNII-4.

All looks fine except that if 5-2 goes 160 where it's at (UNII-4) it's most likely any client connected to that radio will only do 80 due to lack of -4 support. I'd disable UNII-4.

Given clients that do not support band U-NII-4, I believe you can set a 5-2 U-NII-3 control channel with 160MHz bandwidth... those clients will connect at 80MHz bw or less, depending on what they support, and will use frequencies in the U-NII-3 band. Newer clients can still use 160MHz bw across both U-NII-3,4. I'd leave U-NII-4 enabled and so configure.

1701007696367.png

(pic is out of date... 160MHz connection can now span U-NII-3,4)

OE

Last edited:
I've got one XT8 broadcasting 160 into UNII-4 with just one client associated.

Code:
glen@dale:~$ wlink
        wlp2s0     : 192.168.50.187 (dale) [Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz, REV=0x340]
        ap         : zenmaster (192.168.50.98)
        ssid       : SanftNetHi
        channel    : 153 (5765 MHz), width = 80 MHz, center1 = 5775 MHz
        txpower    : 22.00 dBm
        signal     : -49 dBm
        link_qual  : 61/70
        pwr_mgmt   : off
        rx bitrate : 1200.9 MBit/s 80MHz HE-MCS 11 HE-NSS 2 HE-GI 0 HE-DCM 0
        tx bitrate : 1080.6 MBit/s 80MHz HE-MCS 10 HE-NSS 2 HE-GI 0 HE-DCM 0
I'm aware there are newer cards than the AX200, as well the AX210, one of which I also have, which /also/ won't do UNII-4.

The reason I'm running it the way I am is partly experimental but mostly for client-AP isolation. I get better throughput between fellow clients even with one only having 80MHz bandwidth than if both, at the time, are associated to the same 160-wide AP. Even at 80MHz when going out of the house for/with data I can handily saturate my 1/2 gig feed, but that usage is rare for the client above.

But I'm not running in "mesh" mode where everything's locked to the same channels and schemes. With the XTs running as shown in the image above, /every/ client (in my home) associated with 5-2 would be limited to 80MHz bandwidth, and on these units 5-2 is the only radio which can do more than that so I deem it wasteful / crippling.

Been running the XT8's in wired back haul mode for month now with no hiccups, issues, drops.

I have the Arris Surboard modem to the Mian XT8. The Main XT8 connected to the kids Playroom XT8. And the Playrom XT8 is connected to my Office XT8.

The only ODD thing I see is with my celll phone. (Android One Pplus 9 Pro)

The max available LINK speed when connected to Main XT8 is 288 MBbps.
The max available LINK speed when connected to the Playroom XT8 is 576 Mbps.
The max avaialble LINK speed when connected to the Office XT8 is 1080 Mbps.

The were test within 5-10 feet of the node. On the wireless mesh set up, the phone wuld connect to the top availble speed on any of the nodes. But now it appears that the closer I am to the main XT8 node, the more the bandwidth the is beingheld back? And the farther I move away from the main node (Office > Playroom > Main) the more bandwidth/link speed is available.

Does this seem correct?
Or did I miss a setting somewhere?
Or does the 5.2 ghz band that is NOW avaiable due to the ethernet backhaul just more restrictive?

Good afternoon everyone, I'm sorry for this long post.

I been reading through the forum for months now and trying to figure out what do to get these XT8 working. You all seems incredibly knowledgeable.

I upgraded from an Orbi RBR50/RBS50 because the Orbi didn't let me manage my bandwitdth and I wanted to be able to install a network storage device. When the Orbi eventually started dropping connections to the nodes, it was time to go. It served a good 5 years problem free.

I ordered a 3 set of XT8 from Amazon 3 months ago and quickly found out that they sent 2 pack that were VERISON 2 and a 1 pack was a VERSION 1. Everyhting set up with no issue and ran flawlessly for 2 months. NOTE, the XT8's are runnning completely stock. I did NOT make a single change on the router. Nothing but set a static IP for my home alarm. They are connected via a wireless backhaul and the nodes are about 75 feet from the router. The system is running firmware 3.0.0.4.388_23285

I'm getting 900-1400Mbs on my hardlines and 200-500 on my wireles devices.

About 1 mount ago, I started noticing that I kept gettiing a NO INTERNET on my personal Android phone. It sits closets to the node that has Version 1 and simple toggle on and off of the wifi brings it back up online. This happened 1 or 2 times a week for 2 months, but only affected me. Over the last few days, I now notice that anything connected in that corner of house would get a NO INTERNET. On one occasion, I checked the Node that was having the issue (version 1) and saw the node rapid blinking blue. But this only happended once. All the other times it was still white.

So my questions are...

1) Is this no internet on wireless devices despite the hardwired devices a normal an issue for the XT8?
2) Is it possible that the one node that is a version 1 is having conflicts with the router and other node that are version 2?
3) Am I missing some critical settings on the router that I should have chaged from the STOCK setup?
4) If I pull one more CAT6, I can swtich to a wired backhaul but the connection will be Router (version 2) -> Node (version 2) -> Node (version 1). Is it ok to daisy chain the wired backhaul or do I have to homerun CAT6 form the nodes to the router?
5) Is there better option for a wireless mesh system than the XT8 that will support newtwork storage?
6) Should I contact Amazon and try to get the Version 1 node replaced with a Version 2 so all three units are version 2?

Sorry for all the questions. If it's too much, I understand.
I realize many people have suggested a lot of things probably more intelligent than this...
But I had the same issue as you - rolling back the firmware for me worked. I'm now running 3.0.0.4.388_23012 on two XT8s which are hardwired.
No wifi drops / connection issues for over a week (whereas before it occurred every couple of days)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!