What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Firmware 22525 has been rock solid for me with two units using wireless backhaul. Since Asus started rolling out independent firmware updates for v1 and v2 hardware, the XT8s have been functioning much better. I hope it stays that way...

Firmware 22525 has been rock solid for me with two units using wireless backhaul. Since Asus started rolling out independent firmware updates for v1 and v2 hardware, the XT8s have been functioning much better. I hope it stays that way...
Same here.

Well, I thought 22525 had solved everything, but my backhaul has started dropping back from the dedicated 5GHz-2 radio to the 2.4GHz radio again, recently one or twice every day or two. After 8 back-and-forths with Asus support, I'm curious to see where they want to go now. I think I've done more factory resets than I've had days without the backhaul dropping...

Well, I thought 22525 had solved everything, but my backhaul has started dropping back from the dedicated 5GHz-2 radio to the 2.4GHz radio again, recently one or twice every day or two. After 8 back-and-forths with Asus support, I'm curious to see where they want to go now. I think I've done more factory resets than I've had days without the backhaul dropping...
Have you tried fixing the channel and disabling Roaming Assistant on your 5GHz-2 band?

Reactions: RJT
22525 has so far, been very stable. Dirty upgrade. Two XT8 v1’s, 160Mhz backhaul, 2.4 and 5Ghz channels. About 50 clients including HomeKit. Aqara hub and a variety of HomeKit devices. This is the best performing network I have had. The roaming logic seems a bit odd though.

Have you tried fixing the channel and disabling Roaming Assistant on your 5GHz-2 band?
Yes and yes. I can't think of any obvious settings combination I haven't tried. Having a wired backhaul is the biggest one yet untested and surely the one to resolve the issues, but it's untested for good reason as I'm not (yet) in a position to lay a cable.

Yes and yes. I can't think of any obvious settings combination I haven't tried. Having a wired backhaul is the biggest one yet untested and surely the one to resolve the issues, but it's untested for good reason as I'm not (yet) in a position to lay a cable.

There's also MoCA 2.0 or 2.5 if you have cable TV coax in your walls. Works very well as an ethernet cabling substitute. Just a scosh of added latency from the adapters, but otherwise full speed.

I went to edit my earlier post, but don't see it....huh...either way, this version has been stable for me. Dirty upgrade from a 386 version from last August. I'm wired backhaul (including moca adapters). About 65 devices, wired and wireless including IoT. I have two XT8 and two of those satellites--I think RP 58U or something like that.

Are you using DFS channels for the backhaul? If so, I think it might kick you back to 2.4GHz if it detects RADAR.

Are you using DFS channels for the backhaul? If so, I think it might kick you back to 2.4GHz if it detects RADAR.
Channel 100 for the backhaul, which I think is DFS, but I don't think that's the problem. I'm pretty sure the syslog tells you if radar has been detected and neither that nor the dedicated wireless log have ever suggested that it has. Normally all I get in the logs is something like this:
Feb 26 19:19:19 wpa_supplicant[2003]: eth6: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=ROUTER_5GHZ_2_BACKHAUL_MAC reason=4
Feb 26 19:19:21 BHC: WiFi connection status change.
Feb 26 19:19:21 BHC: bandindex(0): state is 2
Feb 26 19:19:21 BHC: bandindex(1): state is 0
Feb 26 19:19:21 BHC: bandindex(2): state is 0
Feb 26 19:19:23 BHC: Topology change from 8 to 2.

If that's the case, you can use the added UNII-4 channels for backhaul if available in your area. For example, if you want 160MHz. channel width backhaul, make your control channel 149 and leave 160MHz. channel width enabled, and you'll have enough channels above 149 to have 160MHz. channel width and be clear of the the DFS channels.

Just a thought.

This version is working so far so good with my twin-pack plus one. I got a twin-pack set and I added one more node. Before all devices only connected the twin-pack, not the additional node. Now all devices are distributed to all 3 nodes depending on where the devices are relative to the nodes.

Channel 100 for the backhaul, which I think is DFS, but I don't think that's the problem. I'm pretty sure the syslog tells you if radar has been detected and neither that nor the dedicated wireless log have ever suggested that it has. Normally all I get in the logs is something like this:
Hmm, strange - I tried looking up what "reason 4" is, and it looks like it's related to inactivity? Which doesn't sound right.

Apparently, it doesn't always create a log event when RADAR is detected (although this is an old post, and it may have been fixed): https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...el-backhaul-behavior.66317/page-2#post-617996

Has anyone tried this 22525 firmware while enabling Parental Controls - Web & Apps Filters? That's what made my system crash constantly throughout the day

Has anyone tried this 22525 firmware while enabling Parental Controls - Web & Apps Filters? That's what made my system crash constantly throughout the day
I have both web & app filters and time scheduling and I have not had any crashes. Though I had them enabled in previous versions as well.

I have to agree. It's rock solid for me too. It's up and running without any hiccup since the update.

Running this but still have to set 5G-2 to 80Mhz or get problems (Nodes staying on 2G or just poor latency) I havent been able to use 160Mhz since a 386 something firmware from early last year.

I have even tried full wipe and start again on a number of firmwares.

Its not to much of an issue to be honest though. Still get good speeds even from nodes.

Pitty they won't allow the none DFS channels for 5G-2.

Running this but still have to set 5G-2 to 80Mhz or get problems (Nodes staying on 2G or just poor latency) I havent been able to use 160Mhz since a 386 something firmware from early last year.
There seems to be a small bug in 22525 whereby you cannot get 160MHz unless you manually select and therefore 'fix' either the channel or the bandwidth. I my case the auto setting for channel used 116 so I set that manually as the channel and now I get consistent backhaul of 160MHz

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!