What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.25 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've been doing a few other hardware upgrades to my laptop so I'm not 100% sure anymore if it was the router or a different hardware problem or a wifi driver issue. I haven't had any issue @ 5ghz for months and now I'm suddenly in all sorts of doo-doo! :eek:
Hi,

Hmm, not sure it the things are related, but I have a very similare issue with one of my laptops, since I updated to the Asus routers, with Firmware Asuswrt-Merlin v3.0.0.4.270.24b (and newer):
  • It's only visible when streaming videos from the internet (TV shows) for a longer time (e.g. 1h or more).
  • The WLAN connection is there (full reception) but no access to Internet or LAN anymore.
  • Disable/enable the device or simpley switch the WLAN from one SSID to the other fixes the problem instantly.
  • BUT: After a while it comes back... :confused:
I also did not have this issue (but others :) ) with my privious Netgear WNDR3700v2 router, running DD-WRT.

Any ideas what could cause this WLAN "hanging" issue?

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
System log not updated

FYI, the System Log didn't updated, as below screen

%E5%85%A8%E8%9E%A2%E5%B9%95%E6%93%B7%E5%8F%96+732013+203338.jpg

And SSH to check /tmp/syslog.log, after it reached 4096 bytes, date & time is updated and files sizes only kept in 4096 bytes.

192.168.1.10+-+PuTTY+732013+203511.jpg

Anyone experiencing an issue with the 5ghz losing network connectivity? I remain connected on wifi, but can't access the LAN or internet. A quick cycle of my laptop's wifi clears it right up, but it seems to be happening 3-4 times a day. Never experienced this on 24...

I am experiencing something similar on my S3 and Note 10.1 on the 5ghz band only. I can cycle either device's wifi on and off and connectivity is restored. I have the same symptoms though, shows connected, but can't access LAN/WAN.

I don't use any of my other 5ghz devices regularly so I can't comment on if they are doing the same or not...

I am experiencing something similar on my S3 and Note 10.1 on the 5ghz band only. I can cycle either device's wifi on and off and connectivity is restored. I have the same symptoms though, shows connected, but can't access LAN/WAN.

I don't use any of my other 5ghz devices regularly so I can't comment on if they are doing the same or not...

My note 2 is doing this only on 5ghz band tho...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

This happened to me too on 5GHz last night on my Dell XPS. I assumed it was the XPS at fault as it couldn't see any other networks until I enabled and disabled the wireless device.

I did experience this too with Dell XPS and (I think it is) Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6xxx Card.

Only happened once on 5ghz. I was not able to connect to my 5ghz network until i rebooted.

But i am not sure if it is caused by the router or the notebook.

Nope, on 4.1.x in both cases.

My Dell XPS is fine on 5GHz., no problems, connects at 450Mb/s and stays connected. I'm not using the XPS on-board wireless card, though, I have a slower on-board wireless card. I'm using a Linksys AE3000 USB wireless adapter. Since I'm using the XPS as my main computer at the moment, I'd notice if it had disconnects or drops.

And my Android phone (Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, 4.1.1) is also fine when I've used it on 5GHz., but I usually use it on 2.4GHz. for the longer range. I've thought about flashing it to the latest 4.2.1, but reading about WiFi problems, I'm not going there at the moment *smile*.

Keep in mind that 5GHz. has a shorter range, so one source of drops can simply be getting out of range of the 5GHz. signal from the router, even though you're still in range on 2.4GHz.

Running 4.1.2 on my note 2...It's rooted / unlocked with better drivers/performance than stock...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Sadly, a lot of laptops come with the cheapest, crappiest wifi HW they can find, saving maybe 5$ on the total cost of the laptop :( That's why you see so many laptops still coming with single stream 150 Mbits interfaces. You can't always replace the antennas, but the wifi card itself is often easy to replace.

If your laptop's BIOS doesn't use a whitelist (some manufacturers do, sadly), I strongly recommend spending 20$ on an Intel Mini PCI-E wireless card, and upgrading your internal card if possible. The Intel Centrino 6230 card I got from Amazon was 23$, and allowed me to upgrade my laptop from a cheap 150 Mbits cant-even-remember-brandname to a reliable 300 Mbits connection. I never had any issue with my 5 GHz on any of the drivers I used on my RT-AC66U. And I even got Bluetooth out of the upgrade. ;) Many laptops can be upgraded through an accessible trapdoor underneath it.

Unless you know your laptop came with all three antennas, stick with a two antenna card like the 6230 or 6235.

I've never had an issue with my Macbook Pro on 5 GHz. It has always been rock solid (Asus stock, Merlin's 24, or my previous OpenWRT router) and suddenly I'm having issues with 25. I'm still connecting at 450 mb/s, but I am getting the connectivity issue. Perhaps I should reflash and start with a new config, but something is definitely wonky.

I've never had an issue with my Macbook Pro on 5 GHz. It has always been rock solid (Asus stock, Merlin's 24, or my previous OpenWRT router) and suddenly I'm having issues with 25. I'm still connecting at 450 mb/s, but I am getting the connectivity issue. Perhaps I should reflash and start with a new config, but something is definitely wonky.

No matter which wireless driver I use, it seems someone is bound to have issues. We have three different drivers released by Asus in recent FW versions. Some people have issues with 220. Some people have issues with 245/260. And some people have issues with 270. So far there isn't a single wireless driver that works well for everyone.

So at this point I just give up. I'll try a different driver once Asus releases a driver from the new Broadcom SDK. Until then, not gonna change driver yet again.

And again, all three have been working fine for me, both on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band. So from my own point of view, I cannot tell which one is better than the others. And the user feedback so far has been constantly conflicting. Even people with the exact same devices (iPhones, for example) report contradicting results.

I absolutely appreciate all the time and effort you spend to create this great firmware. I hope my reporting of issues didn't come off as complaining--just wanted to help contribute by sharing my experience.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
My issues with 5GHz seem to have been resolved. When the problems surfaced, nothing but a complete reboot would solve the problem and only temporarily. I had installed a new HD and then upgraded the 6300 wireless drivers to Intel's 15.3.1 version. I had noticed that there was also some kind of problem with the Lenovo Wireless Connection taskbar app where it would register a connection even when Windows said I was connected, so I had just shut it off.

After I loaded the beta (.345) the WAN connection slowdown was apparent from both wired and wireless devices. But upgrading to .25b the only problem I was having was with the laptop loosing network connection speed. The laptop is the only device I regularly connect on the 5GHz band. Connecting the laptop to the 2.4GHz band or rebooting the laptop were my only options to regain expected speed..

I dropped back to .24 but the 5GHz problem continued, which was when I looked at the wifi drivers. I now have the 15.2 drivers installed and the router still at .24 and I've been better than 12 hours with no connection issues and network transfer speeds better than 20 MB/second.

I'm planning on waiting another 24 hours just to make sure that my 5GHz are gone and then move back to .25 and see. . . what happens. . .

EDIT: I'd also like to add my thanks for this great firmware. I haven't really had time to try out so many of the useful additions but I'm very grateful for all of the opportunities they offer! I honestly have not add any issues with either band using any of the firmware releases I've tried - until the events I've described. I really like this router and continue to be pleased with my purchase and the added advantage of having access to this enhanced firmware!

Last edited:
I absolutely appreciate all the time and effort you spend to create this great firmware. I hope my reporting of issues didn't come off as complaining--just wanted to help contribute by sharing my experience.

Thanks again!

It's ok, don't take my rant personal :) I was talking about the wireless situation in general, not targeting anyone in particular.

DNLA Resolved with rebuild of Minidlna database

DLNA works fine here. There's not a single change in 25b that could have broken it - there was only two changes in 25b versus 25:

- A firewall rule was added to allow outbound traffic for VPN
- The DHCP server now accepts the option that gets added if you disable DHCP logging

Neither of these are related in any way to DLNA, so it must be something with your setup/network. I suggest you try deleting your Minidlna database and rebuild it again in case it got corrupted.

As usual and expected you are correct and deleting and rebuilding my minidlna database did the trick. Thank you!

Sadly, a lot of laptops come with the cheapest, crappiest wifi HW they can find, saving maybe 5$ on the total cost of the laptop :( That's why you see so many laptops still coming with single stream 150 Mbits interfaces. You can't always replace the antennas, but the wifi card itself is often easy to replace.

If your laptop's BIOS doesn't use a whitelist (some manufacturers do, sadly), I strongly recommend spending 20$ on an Intel Mini PCI-E wireless card, and upgrading your internal card if possible. The Intel Centrino 6230 card I got from Amazon was 23$, and allowed me to upgrade my laptop from a cheap 150 Mbits cant-even-remember-brandname to a reliable 300 Mbits connection. I never had any issue with my 5 GHz on any of the drivers I used on my RT-AC66U. And I even got Bluetooth out of the upgrade. ;) Many laptops can be upgraded through an accessible trapdoor underneath it.

Unless you know your laptop came with all three antennas, stick with a two antenna card like the 6230 or 6235.
I added a third antenna when I upgraded my laptop to the Centrino 6300 Ultimate. I also had to remove the display but Dell's are pretty easy to work on. The total time for the upgrade was about an hour.

No matter which wireless driver I use, it seems someone is bound to have issues. We have three different drivers released by Asus in recent FW versions. Some people have issues with 220. Some people have issues with 245/260. And some people have issues with 270. So far there isn't a single wireless driver that works well for everyone.

So at this point I just give up. I'll try a different driver once Asus releases a driver from the new Broadcom SDK. Until then, not gonna change driver yet again.

And again, all three have been working fine for me, both on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band. So from my own point of view, I cannot tell which one is better than the others. And the user feedback so far has been constantly conflicting. Even people with the exact same devices (iPhones, for example) report contradicting results.
While all three drivers worked for me the current driver you are using in 270.25b seems to be giving me the best performance. I do not have test results to base that on. I am just basing that on the anecdotal experience I have had with all three drivers. Thanks for all of your hard work Merlin!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!