What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.25 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PS.: Not sure if there is a inSSIDer equivalent software for Macs, but there should be somthing for iPhones, to show used WLAN channels...

There used to be apps like that for iOS, but Apple pulled their certifications. All you have left for this purpose is the WLAN signal strength list under Settings/General/WiFi.

Running 25b now (was on 260.21) and nothing to report - it's working; thanks Merlin :D

Either i am been thick or i have missed a trick but

Connect 2GB usb stick that is formated in ext2 {nothing on the stick} - the router is seeing the disk/stick but reporting that 'Available space: -17179869182.13 GB'

I am unable to install download manager onto the stick because looking at it; it believes there is no space on the stick when in fact it is empty -

This is the first time i have tried to use this feature so i might be missing a trick here....

I have ssh open on my machine its locked up to only allow ssh requests to come in from certain machines. (would love to remove this) (doing this with hosts.allow/hosts.deny)

I could do this in the router, but its easier to manage on the machine (just update a text file, i am not an firewall expert)

I would really like to add blocking from certain countries (IE china), but i need the ipset stuff.

Any ideas when the next merlin update is going to come out?
Any chance of releasing what you have now? and maybe calling it .25c or something??

The easiest thing would be for me to set up a linux machine and just compile it myself,

Apex have tried an ext2 formatted 64 gigabyte Patriot Magnum 3.0 USB memory stick without incident, version ...25b Merlin firmware. Formatting the stick in an old Windows XP machine took a while, can't remember, 15 or 20 minutes. Thanks to ChrisR in this forum, used http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-P...Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html?tag=mncol;1

to do the ext2 partitioning and formatting on the Windows XP machine, mostly with default settings.

Either i am been thick or i have missed a trick but

Connect 2GB usb stick that is formated in ext2 {nothing on the stick} - the router is seeing the disk/stick but reporting that 'Available space: -17179869182.13 GB'

I am unable to install download manager onto the stick because looking at it; it believes there is no space on the stick when in fact it is empty -

This is the first time i have tried to use this feature so i might be missing a trick here....

I don't think you can install Download Manager on a non-FAT drive. But if you really need a download manager. Install Transmission its much better and works on EXT2 see the WIKI - https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki

I have an interesting (to me) bug I wanted to post.

I was getting the previously mentioned "protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth2" errors on the latest asuswrt-merlin firmware.

I searched the forums high and low and saw the posts about disabling VPN Broadcast support and Network Place: Samba support. However, both were disabled on my router. I manually disabled all Samba-related features, but the issue continued. I tried enabling, rebooting, disabling, rebooting, but made no difference.

I reset the firmware to defaults and the Asus Firmware. The problem went away. I flashed back merlin. It still didn't show up. I finished manually and enabled IPv6 (native DHCP-PD on Comcast) and the errors showed up again.

Disabled IPv6, the errors stopped.

So, i flashed back the native Asus firmware - and the problem stayed away, even with IPv6 enabled.

Any other suggestions? Currently I'm back on the native firmware with the same settings and getting no errors.

I have an interesting (to me) bug I wanted to post.

I was getting the previously mentioned "protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth2" errors on the latest asuswrt-merlin firmware.

I searched the forums high and low and saw the posts about disabling VPN Broadcast support and Network Place: Samba support. However, both were disabled on my router. I manually disabled all Samba-related features, but the issue continued. I tried enabling, rebooting, disabling, rebooting, but made no difference.

I reset the firmware to defaults and the Asus Firmware. The problem went away. I flashed back merlin. It still didn't show up. I finished manually and enabled IPv6 (native DHCP-PD on Comcast) and the errors showed up again.

Disabled IPv6, the errors stopped.

So, i flashed back the native Asus firmware - and the problem stayed away, even with IPv6 enabled.

Any other suggestions? Currently I'm back on the native firmware with the same settings and getting no errors.

Your error message is different. Yours refers to eth2 (the 5 GHz radio) while the VPN broadcast issue refers to eth0 (the WAN interface).

See if you have any client on the 5 GHz band sending weird stuff.

Your error message is different. Yours refers to eth2 (the 5 GHz radio) while the VPN broadcast issue refers to eth0 (the WAN interface).

See if you have any client on the 5 GHz band sending weird stuff.

Mine actually has both, eth0 and eth2 (But no eth1 - is that 2.4ghz?).
What kind of traffic might trigger that? The only 5ghz client is my laptop; everything else is on regular 2.4.

By the way, thanks for the awesome quick response!

Mine actually has both, eth0 and eth2 (But no eth1 - is that 2.4ghz?).
What kind of traffic might trigger that? The only 5ghz client is my laptop; everything else is on regular 2.4.

Anything that the kernel doesn't recognize I suppose. The message doesn't give much detail, beyond the fact the kernel was unable to recognize the packet type it received, and from which interface it got it. Beyond that I have no clue, I'm not really a kernel expert.

Thank you for the hard work merlin!

Im not too tech savvy with networking but I could definitely tell that firmware 25/25b are giving me problems with my iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) on the 2.4ghz band. I keep getting disconnected every other day or so and when I try to reconnect it wont allow me, it says unable to join. On ver.24 my settings where channel 10, 20MHz band, wireless mode Auto, and never had a problem. So the same settings with ver 25/25b and besides the disconnects and unable to join, I have taken a hit on transfer speed and signal. Went back to 24 and all is good again. Are the wireless drivers same from 24 on the 25/25b firmware?

Thank you for the hard work merlin!

Im not too tech savvy with networking but I could definitely tell that firmware 25/25b are giving me problems with my iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) on the 2.4ghz band. I keep getting disconnected every other day or so and when I try to reconnect it wont allow me, it says unable to join. On ver.24 my settings where channel 10, 20MHz band, wireless mode Auto, and never had a problem. So the same settings with ver 25/25b and besides the disconnects and unable to join, I have taken a hit on transfer speed and signal. Went back to 24 and all is good again. Are the wireless drivers same from 24 on the 25/25b firmware?

You didn't specify which router you have. The wireless driver is different for every router model.

25b: The RT-N16 and RT-N66U uses the same driver as Asus's 270
25b: The RT-AC66U uses the same driver as Asus's 220.

24: All three use the same driver as Asus's 220.

There's no single "best for everyone" driver, so I just go with the one with the least negative feedback.

Hopefully things will improve once Asus releases the totally new wireless drivers in the near future (and even then I'm sure there will be some devices that will still have issues. Wireless compatibility has never been great, no matter which router you have.)

I was trying to access this page from work, and got a warning about using an older browser. Tried this page at home, and no problems at all accessing the mediafire site.

Not sure why, but using your .25 version, I was unable to flash to a Tomato build using the recovery mode, where you hold the reset button while powering on. tried uploading the tomato firmware several times to no avail. Had to revert to an older version of Merlin, .24b I think it was, first, and then I was able to flash the Tomato firmware.

Not sure why, but using your .25 version, I was unable to flash to a Tomato build using the recovery mode, where you hold the reset button while powering on. tried uploading the tomato firmware several times to no avail. Had to revert to an older version of Merlin, .24b I think it was, first, and then I was able to flash the Tomato firmware.

The firmware is totally unrelated to Recovery Mode, which runs from the CFE. CFE is unaffected by the firmware.

My issues with 5GHz seem to have been resolved. When the problems surfaced, nothing but a complete reboot would solve the problem and only temporarily. I had installed a new HD and then upgraded the 6300 wireless drivers to Intel's 15.3.1 version. I had noticed that there was also some kind of problem with the Lenovo Wireless Connection taskbar app where it would register a connection even when Windows said I was connected, so I had just shut it off.

After I loaded the beta (.345) the WAN connection slowdown was apparent from both wired and wireless devices. But upgrading to .25b the only problem I was having was with the laptop loosing network connection speed. The laptop is the only device I regularly connect on the 5GHz band. Connecting the laptop to the 2.4GHz band or rebooting the laptop were my only options to regain expected speed..

I dropped back to .24 but the 5GHz problem continued, which was when I looked at the wifi drivers. I now have the 15.2 drivers installed and the router still at .24 and I've been better than 12 hours with no connection issues and network transfer speeds better than 20 MB/second.

I'm planning on waiting another 24 hours just to make sure that my 5GHz are gone and then move back to .25 and see. . . what happens. . .

EDIT: I'd also like to add my thanks for this great firmware. I haven't really had time to try out so many of the useful additions but I'm very grateful for all of the opportunities they offer! I honestly have not add any issues with either band using any of the firmware releases I've tried - until the events I've described. I really like this router and continue to be pleased with my purchase and the added advantage of having access to this enhanced firmware!

Just reporting back:
It took me a week to track down exactly what was going on with my connection and I'm now, finally reporting that I'm certain it had nothing to do with the firmware at all. The issue was definitely related to the "Thinkpad Access Connections" application that came with my 1 1/2 month old laptop. My previous laptop (A Vaio) using an Intel 5300 adapter, never had any issues on the 5 ghz band but when I started using my new Thinkpad I developed issues coincidentally related to changing firmware. The problem arose in connection with waking up from sleep or Intel Rapid Start hibernation. I've almost never used any 3rd party wireless connection applications since I've often found that they cause connection or stability related issues. So, while I had at one point removed the Lenovo WiFi application that came pre-installed, I decided to reinstall it for some random reason (that I don't remember), which was when my problems started.

I'm running .25 again, without issue (and now there's a .26!?) and the issues I had reminded me once again how many random variables there are that can throw a system into disarray!

Thanks again for the great custom firmware!

Hello,
The firmware is also in German?

Where the difference is to DD-WRT and Tomato to the Asus-Merlin?

I have a RT-N66U with 3.0.0.5.354 Firmware
Thank you
greeting

Horst

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!