What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.26 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Hi folks,

Asuswrt 3.0.0.4.270.26b is now available on Mediafire.

Not a lot of big changes this time, this release mostly takes care of some things that had been in the pipeline for some time, and for which I hadn't had time to work on until now.

One notable addition is the ipset Netfilter module (and the "ipset" user tool to control it). What this essentially is is an iptable extension that lets you define a list of IPs, and then you can reference that list in a regular iptable rules. This list is stored in a very efficient hash table, which allows you to have a large list of IPs (can be many hundreds, if not more) with very minimal performance impact. This is ideal for people wishing to implement a blacklist at their router level.

Like any other iptable feature this remains a feature intended for advanced users. There's already been a few examples posted here on how this can be used to block large IP blocks.

A lot of tweaks and improvements here and there, many of which had been asked for since quite some time (I just never got a chance to look at them until now):

Networkmap was improved. Instead of just returning Netbios names, Networkmap will now return a client's hostname whenever it can. It will also heed any name you entered on the DHCP static page. The Client List will also display an animation while it's still scanning (so people thinking that networkmap isn't working properly will now see that it could be just because Networkmap hasn't finished scanning their network yet).

DHCP client names: names entered on the DHCP static lease page will now be used as the client's hostname, provided the name is a valid hostname. If you put spaces in it (for example "Jane Laptop"), then it will only be used as a description, and won't be pushed to the client as a hostname.

Most user-entered lists now allow up to 128 entries (instead of just 32). That means up to 128 port forwards, MAC-based whitelist/blacklist entries, etc... This should be plenty for any normal home use. If for some reason you really need more, then consider investing in an entreprise-level solution. Having 200+ entries in a home device doesn't make much sense to me, and would be difficult to manage anyway.

A few other tweaks and fixes as well - all listed on the usual Changelog.

With this release out, I'll be taking a break until the next Asus release, which will probably require a good amount of work to merge in due to the numerous changes they have made since last release.

UPDATE: 3.0.0.4.270.26b was uploaded, which fixed space support in volume labels.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
I apologize for not being able to keep track. When you say "next" release are you talking when this beta is released?

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=10326

Honestly I am impressed with how much you stay on top of these firmwares. You have earned a significant rest.

He means when asus release's a official .3xx firmware that will include newer wireless drivers. Merlin has no plans to base a build off the newer beta build's. Also that .346 build isn't latest beta build, .352 is.

He means when asus release's a official .3xx firmware that will include newer wireless drivers. Merlin has no plans to base a build off the newer beta build's. Also that .346 build isn't latest beta build, .352 is.

And more important, I can't do anything without source code.

Yeah kind of forgot to mention that, but i am sure soon enough asus will have a build out. I put the .352 beta on my N66U yesterday, sadly been using beta's lately. Just been Enjoying the newer more stable wireless drivers for me at least.

I was asking a simple question. I the current beta the next official release you were referring to as Asus' next release.

I understand you don't build your versions off of beta's and that you need the source code.

I was asking a simple question. I the current beta the next official release you were referring to as Asus' next release.

I understand you don't build your versions off of beta's and that you need the source code.

He and i both gave simple answer's. As for him not making build's off beta release's, its simply a hassle in a way. As asus doesn't just release the source code on there beta firmware's. Plus very rare to get a change log with a beta release, which is very helpful for merlin and his build's.

Once again, thanks RMerlin - this looks like another great release with improvements in the device lists really improving my experience.

I purchased my RT-N66U because I needed great performance and wifi, but also for its QoS and Parental Controls which are very important for me, and I suspect many other users.

As you referred back to it as a home router device, I am sorry to ask again but would it be possible to take a look at how easily the "scale" selection on the per-device monitoring could have kilo/mega/gigabit options added. It's a real pain at the moment that the QoS settings (and my perception of my internet bandwidth) is in kilobits but the traffic monitor is in kilobytes. The option also on the global displays would be fantastic, but I can live with anything you can offer easily.

Additionally I would very much welcome some improvements to Parental Controls to avoid working with MAC addresses so much, and possibly allow common time profiles to be applied to more than 1 device (eg so I can control all of my kids devices with the same time schedule).

I very much appreciate all of the time and effort you put into this project.

One thing I did notice after the upgrade to .26 is that I lost my usb drive. I found the problem, it had mounted as /mnt/sda1 where it had mounted as /mnt/My_Passport before the upgrade

One thing I did notice after the upgrade to .26 is that I lost my usb drive. I found the problem, it had mounted as /mnt/sda1 where it had mounted as /mnt/My_Passport before the upgrade

Is there a way to get the connected USB Hd back to the name of the drive instead of sda1?

Is there a way to get the connected USB Hd back to the name of the drive instead of sda1?

I didn't change anything related to USB disks handling. Make sure your disk still has a label.

I haven't found a way. I couldn't get windows to see the router either so I could remap the drive until I changed the workgroup in the router to my own workgroup name instead of the default WORKGROUP

I just tested it here, and my drives with a label mount fine using the volume name. The problem is with your disk.

Additionally I would very much welcome some improvements to Parental Controls to avoid working with MAC addresses so much, and possibly

MAC addresses are the only way a physical device can be identified on a network. There's no other way.

The Client dropdown gives you a list of all your devices by their current IP as well as their hostname - it can hardly be made any easier. The MAC gets automatically filled in for you when you select a device, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

...allow common time profiles to be applied to more than 1 device (eg so I can control all of my kids devices with the same time schedule).

That would require too many changes to the Parental control webui.

I checked my disk and nothing has changed ( it still has the old label etc). On 25b the disk would show up with its name, and on 26 it is showing up as sda1 when mounted.

Even the AiCloud app on my phone and tablet is showing the disk as sda1 instead of its actual name.

Not really a major problem as the disk still works though

I checked my disk and nothing has changed ( it still has the old label etc). On 25b the disk would show up with its name, and on 26 it is showing up as sda1 when mounted.

Even the AiCloud app on my phone and tablet is showing the disk as sda1 instead of its actual name.

Not really a major problem as the disk still works though

Have you tried just rebooting?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!