What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.27 Beta 1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi guys,

I just got an RT-AC66R and flashed Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.27 Beta 1 to it and am having a major problem with the 5Ghz radio. The temperature is idling around 76-78°C! The 2.4Ghz radio is idling around 55°C. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Nothing is connected to the 5Ghz radio because it isn't even broadcasting (I assume the router is shutting it down due to the high temps?). It's also not hot in the room at all. Please help :(

This is indeed abnormally high. Did you try doing a factory default reset to see if it helped?

If even after that you get such high temperatures on the 5 GHz band (while 2.4 GHz remains normal), then I would have the router returned for RMA. Something could be shorted out on the 5 GHz radio (it uses a separate chip due to the 802.11ac support).

This is indeed abnormally high. Did you try doing a factory default reset to see if it helped?

If even after that you get such high temperatures on the 5 GHz band (while 2.4 GHz remains normal), then I would have the router returned for RMA. Something could be shorted out on the 5 GHz radio (it uses a separate chip due to the 802.11ac support).

Did a factory default reset and rebooted the router and now the 5Ghz radio is hovering around 58-60°C. I'm going to set up the router again like I did before and periodically check the temps to see if I can repeat the temp increase.

Did a factory default reset and rebooted the router and now the 5Ghz radio is hovering around 58-60°C. I'm going to set up the router again like I did before and periodically check the temps to see if I can repeat the temp increase.

That's about right, my 5GHz radio runs at 57C and my router sits in a freezing cold basement

Found the DHCP issue. As I suspected, it has nothing to do with DHCP at all.

Asus decided to change the default loglevel for syslog, probably to get rid of some of the log spam. The new default loglevel is 5, instead of 7. So if you reset back to factory defaults, the new default loglevel is written in NVRAM, and dnsmasq log entries are of a higher level, therefore they never get logged. I never saw the issue on my main router because it hasn't been reset to factory defaults in months - but the development RT-N66U just reproduced the issue.

The manual workaround for now is to change the default loglevel back to its original value:

Code:
nvram set log_level=7
nvram commit
reboot

Now I have to figure out if I just want to change the default loglevel back to 7, or fiddle with the log priority used by dnsmasq.

Thanks Merlin, you always seem to resolve little firmware quirks so quickly, Where do I input this code in the run cmd tab? I kind of use the DHCP logs to see if my son is firing up the PS3 when he should be doing school work.

Was altering some settings in the 2.4GHz section of the Wireless - Professional menu and the second I hit Apply, the 5GHz radio shot up to 82°C. I'm going to flash the previous version of your firmware to see if I can replicate the problem. I sense there's a firmware issue here though, since I can get it to idle at 60°C after a factory reset.

I'll have to dig through the GPL code to check why this didn't get merged in, cause it should have.

Could possibly be something that was still under development, and was only present in the 3.0.0.5.354 test build that was accidentally released at first.

It's also in the 3.0.0.4.354 change log:

Code:
Add
1. Optimize for XBOX option in Advanced Setting-->Wireless-->General. Enable this function can stabilize streaming speed.
2. Network tools in Advanced setting
3. WOL user interface (wake on LAN)
4. H.323 and SIP passthrough can be disabled in Advanced Settings --> WAN -->NAT Passthrough
5. [B][U]Click the device name and lookup the manufacturer information[/U][/B]
6. Change the DHCP query frequency in Advanced settings-->WAN-->Internet connection to resolve the ISP compatibility issue.
Special thanks to Merlin for his contribution.
AiCloud 
1. Add deleted button in upload file page.
2. Fixed share link management bugs.
3. Fixed the file and folder rename bugs.
4. Fixed IE9 file upload compatibility issue.

Thanks Merlin, you always seem to resolve little firmware quirks so quickly, Where do I input this code in the run cmd tab? I kind of use the DHCP logs to see if my son is firing up the PS3 when he should be doing school work.

You can run them one at a time on the Tools -> Run Cmd page, or run them over SSH/Telnet. It doesn't matter, just keep in mind that this last command will also reboot the router to ensure those settings get applied.

It's also in the 3.0.0.4.354 change log:

Code:
5. [B][U]Click the device name and lookup the manufacturer information[/U][/B]

Yeah, that's the popup window that appears when you click on it, and similar to what I already had implemented. The hover feature he posted is something else that was added only recently, in addition to the clickable device.

5 ghz is just too inconsistent for me on with these new wireless drivers on the N66U. I've reverted back to 26b for a 3rd time and will likely stay here until Asus updates the drivers again.

Thanks Merlin, as always, for your efforts.

Also no luck with RT-N66U+6230 (Windows 8 64bit intel 15.6 driver)+5Ghz on 40MHz
Tried channel bandwidth to 20MHz for 5Ghz.
It works but unstable. During large file transfer sometimes connection drop to 6Mbps and jump back again. (Never happen with 26b)

Now I have to figure out if I just want to change the default loglevel back to 7, or fiddle with the log priority used by dnsmasq.

IMHO, the DHCP log entries are just noise. Assuming you're looking for Humble Opinions.

IMHO, the DHCP log entries are just noise. Assuming you're looking for Humble Opinions.

There is an option to disable them tho. Being able to see them can be useful. The current issue is that they are never logged at all due to the log level.

Decided to just return the AC66R and pick up a N66R. Hopefully it'll work better :D

Decided to just return the AC66R and pick up a N66R. Hopefully it'll work better :D

You could just have had it replaced by another RT-AC66R. Mine doesn't have any issue, highest temperature is around 63C on the 5 GHz radio. You probably simply had a defective unit.

Hello Merlin,

Finely after a few days I got home, installed 354 from asus and made a print screen capture of the overlay I am refering from de mac adress, hope is better to understand what I mean.

Hoping it is possible to implement in your firmware this way, if not, It's not important, only a cosmetic issue that I find beautifull

Thanks.

That hover code is not present in the GPL archive, only in their released firmwares. Looks like a last-minute addition Asus did (or something they pulled out at the last minute but forgot to rebuild the FW), the GPL archive only contains the clickable popup window.

If it works properly I can extract it from the compiled firmware.

The fact that the HTML pages from the released firmwares differ from those in the GPL archive are worrying me. I will have to do a full diff between the FW and the GPL to see if there is anything else I might be missing (webui-wise).

Free memory decreases

When taking a look at Tools - System Information I just saw that the free memory has decreased from 190 MB to 60 MB although I have no idea what causes that behavior...

The whole memory related entries in System info:
Memory:
Total 234.22 MB
Free 62.32 MB
Buffers 3.75 MB
Swap usage 0.00 / 0.00 MB

Internal Storage:
NVRAM usage 44148 / 65536 bytes
JFFS 0.50 / 7.38 MB

Using the 270.26b build the free memory always stayed between 160 and 190 MB...

Made a factory reset before flashing to 354.27 Beta1 btw.

What can I do to free memory?

Ciao
Gerald

What can I do to free memory?
Servus Gerald,

You need to run less programs (e.g. Donload Manager, DLNA server, etc.) to free memory - and/or you need to have a swap file/partition to avoid runing out of memory, which can cause the Linux kernel to panic and to crash.

You can check for the running programs on the routers telnet (command line) session via:
Code:
[B]ps -w | more[/B] ==> will show the running programs on the screen.
[B]ps -w> /tmp/ps.txt[/B]  ==> will write the output to a file, which you can post here
[B]top[/B] ==> will show you the top cpu and memory usage

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
You need to run less programs [...]

Tx for replying but your good advice missed the heart of the problem... even though I'm not running more or less programs than with the earlier build actually the amount of free memory has significantly decreased...

Tot kijk
Gerald

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!