What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.29 Beta 1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Howdy folks,

3.0.0.4.354.29 Beta 1 has just been released. Due to the numerous changes and to avoid confusion over which version people ahve flashed, the version number got bumped to 354.29.

There is unfortunately still no resolution for the RT-N66U wireless driver, however that didn't prevent me from spending a lot of time and efforts in fixing other issues over which I do have control :)

The first area that saw a lot of debugging done was for ISPs that use a VPN tunnel (such as Beeline). 354.28 Beta introduced a bug that prevent it from being able to resolve the VPN server's hostname, so the tunnel was unable to establish a connection, unless you were using its IP. There was also another bug related to the router's behaviour when the connection went down - Asuswrt's web redirection would kick in, preventing the VPN client from being able to resolve the tunnel's hostname to reconnect (webredirect would resolve any host to 10.0.0.1). This version should be the most reliable build to date for those VPN-based ISPs.

The other area that saw a lot of work was the Per IP traffic monitoring. I was finally able to reproduce various scenarios that would cause traffic to be incorrectly counted. One was if you transferred a large amount of data, causing it to grow larger than the 32-bit values that were being used. Those have now been switched to 64-bit. There was also another scenario that would occur if the cstats daemon was asked for a traffic update earlier than expected, which would cause a bunch of traffic to be counted twice. In my tests on this one, a 5 GB transfer was ending up accounting for 30 GB of traffic when I would asked for 3-4 updates during that transfer.

Also, the weird bug where checking the option to recreate the traffic monitoring data files would have them recreated again after the next reboot fixed (turns out the flag was cleared in memory but the cleared flag wasn't being written back to the flashed nvram).

Note that there will still be a slight difference between total traffic and Per IP traffic. From what I can see this is normal - the difference percentage remained constant during my tests. This is most likely overhead network traffic that either never reaches the target computer, or is regular TCP/IP overhead.

Various fixes and improvements were also done to the new Site Survey, based on user feedback.

Yet another fix for USB disks > 2 TB was implemented (this one was backported from Linux 3.8 by Padavan). This fix did resolve compatibility issues with my own NexStar enclosure. HOWEVER, you might need to use ext2/ext3. The NTFS driver was unable to properly replay the journal on my 3 TB HDD, preventing it from mounting - ext3 worked fine.

Finally, the RT-N16 is now officially fully supported, thanks to a donated RT-N16. A couple of bugs specific to the RT-N16 have been fixed.

Downloads are on Mediafire for all three firmwares, in the Beta folders. The Experimental builds will be released later tonight once they are ready.

Please check the Changelog for the full list of changes.

What needs testing in this new beta? These are the areas I'm most intereted in hearing about:

• 3 TB HDD support, especially if your disk didn't work previously - does it work now? Again, make sure it's formatted in ext3 first.
  • VPN-based ISP users such as Beeline users - are the reconnection issues also resolved now?
  • Traffic monitoring: if you still see major errors in accounting, I'm interested in hearing about it, especially if you can find a way to reproduce the problem.
  • miniupnpd and dropbear (SSH) were both updated - please make sure nothing broke in the process.

Coming next, the plan is to hope for a fixed RT-N66U driver in the near future (I have no ETA on that one, sorry). In the mean time feature development will be mostly frozen, and I will mostly focus on bug fixes. The goal is to ensure that the first release that will come with the new wireless driver will be as stable as possible, before starting to look into other potential feature changes.

Thanks everyone for your interest in this project!

Another much appreciated release Merlin, its so nice to have a developer put so much work into a project and release updates and bug fixes as frequently as you do. My AC66u has never seen stock firmware and I intend on keeping it that way.

WAN DNS bug in this new version?

I'm using RT-N16, if manually set WAN DNS, /tmp/resolv.conf will be empty and can't resolve any server name from router. But if set Yes to Connect to DNS Server automatically, it works fine.

I haven't had this problem when using 28-beta1. Please check it out.

Last edited:

I'm using RT-N16, if manually set WAN DNS, /tmp/resolv.conf will be empty and can't resolve any server name from router. But if set Yes to Connect to DNS Server automatically, it works fine.

Just tried it here and it works correctly for me. /tmp/resolv.conf gets populated by the DNS I manually entered, and name resolution works as well.

What type of WAN connection do you have?

What do the following commands returns?

Code:
nvram get wan0_dns
nvram get wan0_xdns

Thank you for your very fast response.

What type of WAN connection do you have?
I am using PPPoE.

What do the following commands returns?
Code:
nvram get wan0_dns
nvram get wan0_xdns

When set to auto DNS:
nvram get wan0_dns returns empty at first, and after about 10 seconds, it returns two DNS IPs from ISP.
nvram get wan0_xdns always returns empty.

When set to manual DNS:
nvram get wan0_dns always returns empty.
nvram get wan0_xdns returns my entered DNS at first, and after about 10 seconds, it returns empty.

I noticed when do a ps command, all others have the USER of "admin", only "dnsmasq --log-async" has the USER of "nobody". I don't know if this has anything to do the WAN DNS.

HI,

My ISP is Beeline. And now again I'm able to use VPN server name instead of IP, with this latest 29b firmware.:)
Thank You, Merlin!

HI,

My ISP is Beeline. And now again I'm able to use VPN server name instead of IP, with this latest 29b firmware.:)
Thank You, Merlin!

Can you see how it handles disconnections? Does it also properly reconnect?

I noticed when do a ps command, all others have the USER of "admin", only "dnsmasq --log-async" has the USER of "nobody". I don't know if this has anything to do the WAN DNS.

This is normal, this is for security reasons - dnsmasq drops its privileges after it started.

Hello RMerlin!
There is displacement of columns in a table when choosing a Russian interface because of a long word "Радиоканал".

Last edited:
Can you see how it handles disconnections? Does it also properly reconnect?

Well, it handles normally.
First connection after reboot log:

Code:
<...>
Jan  1 04:00:21 pppd[666]: Plugin pppol2tp.so loaded.
Jan  1 04:00:21 pppd[666]: pppd 2.4.5 started by admin, uid 0
Jan  1 04:00:21 pppd[666]: Using interface ppp0
Jan  1 04:00:21 pppd[666]: Connect: ppp0 <--> l2tp (85.21.0.247)
Jan  1 04:00:22 pppd[666]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Jan  1 04:00:22 pppd[666]: CHAP authentication succeeded
<...>
Jan  1 04:00:24 pppd[666]: local  IP address 128.69.133.245
Jan  1 04:00:24 pppd[666]: remote IP address 85.21.0.247
Jan  1 04:00:24 pppd[666]: primary   DNS address 85.21.192.5
Jan  1 04:00:24 pppd[666]: secondary DNS address 213.234.192.7
<...>

And, after I pooled out wire from WAN port, and put it back, it just reconnects very fast:

Code:
May 18 14:06:24 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
May 18 14:06:44 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

That's good!

I think I have a similar problem on my RT-N66U. I originally upgraded to 28-beta1 but couldn't get internet connectivity to work and so regressed and didn't worry too much about it. Today I upgraded to 29-beta1 and found the same issue. I also noticed that the time is never updated on the router so it also has an issue resolving the names.

I use Symantec DNS on my router to block risky sites. As soon as I switch from manual WAN DNS to automatic my clients access the internet fine.

As usual, huge thanks go to RMerlin :)

Which is the best way to upgrade as regards setting defaults?

Upgrade, take screenshots AFTER and clear NVRAM and reenter or do screenshots BEFORE and then clear NVRAM? I prefer to use screenshots rather than handwritten notes.

I ask because there is a comment in the changelog about some changes in the GUI.

TIA,

DrT

Which is the best way to upgrade as regards setting defaults?

Upgrade, take screenshots AFTER and clear NVRAM and reenter or do screenshots BEFORE and then clear NVRAM? I prefer to use screenshots rather than handwritten notes.

I ask because there is a comment in the changelog about some changes in the GUI.

TIA,

DrT

I just updated over the last beta. Did not clear nvram or go back to defaults. Seems to work fine.

I just updated over the last beta. Did not clear nvram or go back to defaults. Seems to work fine.

I'll take the plunge later. Thanks. I still think I'll take screenshots (before) just to be safe.

I think I have a similar problem on my RT-N66U. I originally upgraded to 28-beta1 but couldn't get internet connectivity to work and so regressed and didn't worry too much about it. Today I upgraded to 29-beta1 and found the same issue. I also noticed that the time is never updated on the router so it also has an issue resolving the names.

I use Symantec DNS on my router to block risky sites. As soon as I switch from manual WAN DNS to automatic my clients access the internet fine.

As usual, huge thanks go to RMerlin :)

Can you try Asus's 3.0.0.4.354 to see if it's a regression in their 354 code or in my changes?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!