What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.32 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hmm.. I split the 2.4 & 5GHz under different SSID's to do some testing - seems that the 5Ghz SSID never shows up - on Macbook and iOS devices.

Changed to beta 3 firmware (with a factory reset) as suggested above, and still the same problem.

I also tried the latest official firmware, and the problem is just the same.

5Ghz radio is running at 78deg C - not sure if that is hot or not.

Anyway, with only my Macbook Pro connected at 2.4Ghz on channel 6 (router and macbook pro are in the same room), I get the following in the wireless log on the router :-

SSID: "ASUS"
RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 0 dB noise: -69 dBm Channel: 6l
BSSID: 74:D0:2B:8A:A8:30 Capability: ESS ShortSlot
Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6 9 11(b) 12 18 24 36 48 54 ]
HT Capable:
Chanspec: 2.4GHz channel 8 40MHz (0x1808)
Primary channel: 6
HT Capabilities:
Supported MCS : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 32 ]

Mode : AP Only

Stations List Rx/Tx Speed RSSI State
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B8:F6:B1:15:9E:DD 192.168.1.191 Martins-MBP ??/78 Mbps -59 dBm assoc auth

SSID: "ASUS_5G"
RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 0 dB noise: -64 dBm Channel: 36/80
BSSID: 74:D0:2B:8A:A8:34 Capability: ESS
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
VHT Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 42 80MHz (0xe02a)
Primary channel: 36
HT Capabilities:
Supported MCS : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ]
VHT Capabilities:
Supported VHT (tx) Rates:
NSS: 1 MCS: 0-9
NSS: 2 MCS: 0-9
NSS: 3 MCS: 0-9
Supported VHT (rx) Rates:
NSS: 1 MCS: 0-9
NSS: 2 MCS: 0-9
NSS: 3 MCS: 0-9

Mode : AP Only

Stations List Rx/Tx Speed RSSI State
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
5Ghz radio is running at 78deg C - not sure if that is hot or not.

78C is definitely abnormally high - it shouldn't go over 65-67C in a normal environment.

I'm going to return it - tried a range of different firmware now, and 5GHz doesn't ever show up as an SSID.

Thanks for all the input :)

Did the Interference Management setting get dropped or moved from the Professional Tab of Wireless? I didn't see it in v .31 either.

Good news: If I have dual-wan in failover mode, and the primary disconnects, it works as advertised. Second wan takes over.

Now, once the primary WAN comes back online ( I have tried unplugging and re-plugging the cable), the traffic does not come back to the primary WAN. Is that the intended behaviour? Traffic stays on the secondary until the router is rebooted or secondary WAN fails?

Now, once the primary WAN comes back online ( I have tried unplugging and re-plugging the cable), the traffic does not come back to the primary WAN. Is that the intended behaviour? Traffic stays on the secondary until the router is rebooted or secondary WAN fails?

Known issue. Asus was notified, and they will take a look at it.

What router model? What wireless card? What troubleshooting steps were taken?

Without that info, it's impossible for me to check if it's indeed an issue that needs fixing or not.

Your firmware is good, please disregard my previous comment. I am using your latest build with no issues. Great job. Keep up the good work!

Your firmware is good, please disregard my previous comment. I am using your latest build with no issues. Great job. Keep up the good work!

Glad you got it sorted out. How did you resolve your performance issues?

Try using beta3.
I just went back to that one and the problem on the 5ghz seems to go away. I went from dropping speeds and flakey connections to full speed and sturdy on my sgs4 on the 5ghz.

Not sure what the problem is but 2.4Ghz seems to be fine on the latest version.

I have a AC66 as well btw.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Despite being beta3 I find this version to be Merlins best release to date. With 374.32 my wife's laptop has connection issues on the 2.4GHz band despite me trying different channels. When she loses connection we see http connection lost errors in the system log. Going back to beta3 resolves the issue, must be the newer driver for the AC66u in the release. The 5Ghz band is rock stable however with both builds.

Glad you got it sorted out. How did you resolve your performance issues?

It was due to a Intel NIC driver update in my main PC where I always do testing from. When I tested from my NAS the performance was good. Removed and re-install the NIC driver and back to good perf levels. Probably didn't even have to reset the router to defaults...Thanks again for all your hard work!

Looks like even if I logged out of RT-N66U with firmware 374.32 and then close IE10 64bit, it's not actually logging me off. Browsing to the router with its IP just let me go in without asking for credentials. Are you guys seeing this?

Yes, I am seeing this, even after quitting the browser, and even clearing the cache.

Yes, I am seeing this, even after quitting the browser, and even clearing the cache.

Chances are you still have a running instance of iexplore.exe in background, which still caches the login credentials. I was unable to reproduce this problem here under Win8 + IE10.

Chances are you still have a running instance of iexplore.exe in background, which still caches the login credentials. I was unable to reproduce this problem here under Win8 + IE10.

I'm using Chrome on OS X, so I don't think it's IE. :)

I'm using Chrome on OS X, so I don't think it's IE. :)

I'm running 3.0.0.4.374.32 on N66U.

I tried to replicate on OSX if I logout in Chrome (and tried Chrome incognito mode), Safari, or FF, and also Win8 w/ IE 10 if I log out and it leaves me with http://192.168.1.1/Logout.asp in the URL bar, if I back up to just the 192.168.1.1 part and hit enter, boom I'm in without logging in again. If I hit enter on the .../Lougout.asp URL it forces me to login again.

However if I exit browser totally, Chrome, IE, Safari, and FF seem to totally flush it out (even if I go back to 192.168.1.1 directly). I can't make the login persist past the browser session in any of those scenarios once I totally exit.

Last edited:

I have not found the reason but I think I unintentionally saved the credentials in IE's password manager. Installed the SDK on top of it and erasing the NVRAM then went back to 374.32 didn't duplicate the problem.:confused:

I have not found the reason but I think I unintentionally saved the credentials in IE's password manager. Installed the SDK on top of it and erasing the NVRAM then went back to 374.32 didn't duplicate the problem.:confused:

Maybe try changing your router admin name or p/w, and it'll give you a fresh opportunity to reject storing that credential?

After upgrading to 374.32, I've been getting Internet web page stalls on Android devices (Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy S3s, and Nook HD). Even though the Wi-Fi signal is strong on the devices, the problem can be remedied only by turning Wi-Fi off and back on again. That solution is only temporary, however, since we've got to keep cycling Wi-Fi on the devices multiple times an hour.

I finally noticed an error message from the router GUI page accessed wirelessly with Android device, when I clicked on various tabs (without making any changes) that may indicate the root of the problem:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-N66R.
To access the settings of RT-N66R, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.​

Apparently, this disconnection is happening randomly while viewing other Internet pages also. I saw a reference to this message in some other posts (including http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=81103&highlight=disconnected#post81103) and also noted that it might be removed from the Merlin builds. But for the time being, it might be a good clue to the process that's causing the inability to load web pages for some wireless devices.

Any ideas to fix?

After upgrading to 374.32, I've been getting Internet web page stalls on Android devices (Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy S3s, and Nook HD). Even though the Wi-Fi signal is strong on the devices, the problem can be remedied only by turning Wi-Fi off and back on again. That solution is only temporary, however, since we've got to keep cycling Wi-Fi on the devices multiple times an hour.

I finally noticed an error message from the router GUI page accessed wirelessly with Android device, when I clicked on various tabs (without making any changes) that may indicate the root of the problem:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-N66R.
To access the settings of RT-N66R, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.​

Apparently, this disconnection is happening randomly while viewing other Internet pages also. I saw a reference to this message in some other posts (including http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=81103&highlight=disconnected#post81103) and also noted that it might be removed from the Merlin builds. But for the time being, it might be a good clue to the process that's causing the inability to load web pages for some wireless devices.

Any ideas to fix?

After you upgraded your firmware, did you clear the router's nvram/return to factory defaults, and then manually re-enter your router's settings? If you didn't, doing this may solve your problems.

The other thing that you can try is to "forget" the old wifi networks, and then re-join them, giving your wifi password. This may also help.

Just a couple of base level ideas...

After you upgraded your firmware, did you clear the router's nvram/return to factory defaults, and then manually re-enter your router's settings? If you didn't, doing this may solve your problems.

The other thing that you can try is to "forget" the old wifi networks, and then re-join them, giving your wifi password. This may also help.

Just a couple of base level ideas...

Yes, reset all before and after firmware upgrade. Then I input all options by hand. I'll give the "forget" a try.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!