What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.51 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tried my own dirty way, just for fun:
Code:
# nvram show | awk '{print length(), $0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head
size: 48678 bytes (16858 left)
1850 vpn_crt_client1_crt
1755 vpn_crt_client1_ca
1728 vpn_crt_client1_key
1089 sshd_hostkey
624 sshd_dsskey
466 client_info_tmp
382 nmp_client_list
338 sshd_ecdsakey
275 rc_support
239 sshd_authkeys

I love one-liners! Didn't know about awk print length...learned something new. Good job!

This goes on forever, it's storing my printer's firmware or something or the beginning of corruption

printer_model_t=Zebra LP��擺껍꿉音...
Mine printer_model_t looks suspicious too:
Code:
# nvram get printer_model_t | xxd
0000000: 4361 6e6f 6e0a 204c 3132 300a 0a  Canon. L120..
Three <LF> chars. I think we can report it to Eric. This garbage may come from here.

Last edited:
Ok i know that i can edit but field has no LABEL as i show on the screen.

Merlin is any chance to add this LABEL ?

I have install firmware ASUS 3.0.0.4.378.4376 on my RT-AC87U and i think that firmware ASUS is faster than Merlin. After instll merlin i restore default and then clear NVRAM by pressed reset button on the router more than 30 sec. In soft Merlin when i click the soft more think that soft ASUS. In Asus when i click it responds immediately. These are small but visible delays.
Can we do something with this ?

And maybe you can add option to EDIT static IP something as i show on screen?

I think Merlin's build is based on the build from AC3200, not sure if there's some specific optimization for 87U

Some vars from NVRAM (like vpn_client1_custom) can be multilined.

Asus (wrongly) uses endline characters, which leads to corrupted nvram backups. I replace all endlines with a ">" character, so in my case they will remain single-lined.

I notified Asus about this issue over a year ago, but seems like R&D didn't understand my explanation of the issue.

Ok i know that i can edit but field has no LABEL as i show on the screen.

Merlin is any chance to add this LABEL ?

I have install firmware ASUS 3.0.0.4.378.4376 on my RT-AC87U and i think that firmware ASUS is faster than Merlin. After instll merlin i restore default and then clear NVRAM by pressed reset button on the router more than 30 sec. In soft Merlin when i click the soft more think that soft ASUS. In Asus when i click it responds immediately. These are small but visible delays.
Can we do something with this ?

And maybe you can add option to EDIT static IP something as i show on screen?

That Networkmap is buggy and poorly designed. It would need to be redesigned from the ground up, so I don't want to waste time doing minor tweaks here and there when it has far more serious issues in need of addressing. For instance it's useless if your network has 15-20 clients, you will spend far too much time clicking on arrows to browse through the list.

Adding the capability to edit entries would require major changes to the webui code, which means it would become nearly impossible afterward to merge future changes from Asus. Therefore this is something that will have to be implemented by them.

64806 / 65536 bytes

Fing ridiculous I still have many vpn keys I haven't added that my 68u had

Having only 64 KB of nvram was a bad design decision IMHO, especially as the router has a third radio, which means a lot of additional nvram settings. During earlier development Asus had the firmware set to handle 128 KB of nvram for that model, but for some reason (maybe it wasn't reliable yet) they released the router with only 64 KB. Hopefully this is something they will be able to address at a later time.

What's normal nvram? Does this router use more than the older ones and can no longer hold all my vpn keys?

Update, no duplicates. Just a few vpn keys and 64kbytes of settings.

This may help you. It helped me so I put it on the wiki. Storing all your openvpn keys in jffs to massively reduce nvram. I found it couldn't store all my keys for 2 servers and 2 clients along with ssh keys and the like.... Now it is using only 48268 / 65536 bytes

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/reducing-nvram-for-openvpn-certs

For me, this is the space required to hold just certs!

admin@rtn68u:/jffs/ov1# du -ah
1.5K ./c1/ca.crt
1.5K ./c1
1.5K ./c2/ca.crt
1.5K ./c2
1.5K ./s1/server.crt
1.0K ./s1/server.key
1.5K ./s1/ca.crt
1.0K ./s1/ca.key
512 ./s1/dh.pem
1.0K ./s1/static.key
6.5K ./s1
1.5K ./s2/server.crt
1.0K ./s2/server.key
1.5K ./s2/ca.crt
1.0K ./s2/ca.key
512 ./s2/dh.pem
1.0K ./s2/static.key
6.5K ./s2
16.0K .

Last edited:
Asus (wrongly) uses endline characters, which leads to corrupted nvram backups. I replace all endlines with a ">" character, so in my case they will remain single-lined.

I notified Asus about this issue over a year ago, but seems like R&D didn't understand my explanation of the issue.
asuswrt-merlin .50, configured from scratch:
Code:
admin@RTN66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get vpn_client1_custom
ns-cert-type server
route-noexec
script-security 3 system
route-up /jffs/scripts/route-up.sh
admin@RTN66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get vpn_client1_custom | xxd
0000000: 6e73 2d63 6572 742d 7479 7065 2073 6572  ns-cert-type ser
0000010: 7665 720d 0a72 6f75 7465 2d6e 6f65 7865  ver..route-noexe
0000020: 630d 0a73 6372 6970 742d 7365 6375 7269  c..script-securi
0000030: 7479 2033 2073 7973 7465 6d0d 0a72 6f75  ty 3 system..rou
0000040: 7465 2d75 7020 2f6a 6666 732f 7363 7269  te-up /jffs/scri
0000050: 7074 732f 726f 7574 652d 7570 2e73 680a  pts/route-up.sh.
Lines are devided by <CR><LF> (0d 0a).

asuswrt-merlin .50, configured from scratch:
Code:
admin@RTN66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get vpn_client1_custom
Lines are devided by <CR><LF> (0d 0a).

Ok, I never thought about that custom field also doing the same, I only took care of cert and key fields.

Broadcom's nvram manipulation code needs to be revised someday. It's fragile, has a few archaic limitations (the default limit CFE-side is like 100 or 200 characters, anything longer will crash the CFE if you do an "nvram show" from it), its backup/restore routine uses some weird encoding that breaks on CR/LF bytes... and the list goes on.

I just updated my RT-AC87U from latest ASUS Firmware. The problem I have is that on "Wlan Mac Filter" Page the dropdown to choose between 5Ghz and 2,4Ghz Mac Filter List is missing (in the ASUS Firmware you can choose). Merlin Firmare just shows the 2,4Ghz Wlan Mac Filter Entries. Problem is I can not add any 5Ghz Mac Adresses to filter anymore as I can not access the Mac Filter Page for 5 Ghz Devices but I have bought a new device I need to add.

Is there any workaround (SSH command?) or so to add a client to the 5 Ghz Mac Filter List.

@RMerlin: Would also be great if you could fix this soon as this is a bit of a problem because at the moment I had to disable Mac Filter to be able to use my new device.

But overall I think beta51 is quite nice compared to the asus fw, so thanks a lot for your hard work on this Firmware.

That Networkmap is buggy and poorly designed. It would need to be redesigned from the ground up, so I don't want to waste time doing minor tweaks here and there when it has far more serious issues in need of addressing. For instance it's useless if your network has 15-20 clients, you will spend far too much time clicking on arrows to browse through the list.

Adding the capability to edit entries would require major changes to the webui code, which means it would become nearly impossible afterward to merge future changes from Asus. Therefore this is something that will have to be implemented by them.

ASUS is resistant to change and do not listen to my requests to send. He stated that this is a router for the home user to 5-10 clients.

They are unlikely to improve these things and more on my way broken...

I just updated my RT-AC87U from latest ASUS Firmware. The problem I have is that on "Wlan Mac Filter" Page the dropdown to choose between 5Ghz and 2,4Ghz Mac Filter List is missing (in the ASUS Firmware you can choose). Merlin Firmare just shows the 2,4Ghz Wlan Mac Filter Entries. Problem is I can not add any 5Ghz Mac Adresses to filter anymore as I can not access the Mac Filter Page for 5 Ghz Devices but I have bought a new device I need to add.
Hi,

There is now only one consolidated MAC filter list avaliable (supporting both WLAN bands).
If you would use this save and restore script it would have consolidated the information for you... :oops:
Now you have to re-enter the missing MACs and you are good to go!

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Is there any workaround (SSH command?) or so to add a client to the 5 Ghz Mac Filter List.

That was removed by Asus in their latest firmware releases, I'm not the one who removed it. I assume they had a valid reason for doing so, most likely technical in nature.

It's not just a webui change, the whole underlying firmware code was also changed to only handle one global filter list.

ASUS is resistant to change and do not listen to my requests to send. He stated that this is a router for the home user to 5-10 clients.

They are unlikely to improve these things and more on my way broken...

Some day I might give up, and completely remove that Networkmap, and have users rely on a separate, dedicated client list similar to the new wireless client list. But I haven't reached that stage yet, as it will involve a fair amount of work, and I will have to make a decision as to whether I want to divert from my original mission statement, and actively remove a feature that's available in the stock firmware, albeit in a not very usable form. So far I always tried really hard to maintain every single feature from the stock firmware, and only adding on top of them.

Some day I might give up, and completely remove that Networkmap, and have users rely on a separate, dedicated client list similar to the new wireless client list. But I haven't reached that stage yet, as it will involve a fair amount of work, and I will have to make a decision as to whether I want to divert from my original mission statement, and actively remove a feature that's available in the stock firmware, albeit in a not very usable form. So far I always tried really hard to maintain every single feature from the stock firmware, and only adding on top of them.

I'm really liking your original mission statement and would encourage you to stick with it. If you deviate from that, you will probably be committing to more work and support without compensation. Your enhancements are really appreciated, but ASUS needs to be the primary support for their routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!