What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.54_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
....,. I don't do any frequent writes to it, besides the occasional reformat after a firmware flash.

By "occasional" I infer you don't reformat after every firmware flash. When would a reformat be deemed necessary or advisable? ( I ask because I moved my OpenVPN keys and certs to jffs and do not intend messing with it unless essential.)

By "occasional" I infer you don't reformat after every firmware flash. When would a reformat be deemed necessary or advisable? ( I ask because I moved my OpenVPN keys and certs to jffs and do not intend messing with it unless essential.)

Yes, usually after each firmware flash as that can overwrite the JFFS, making it unusable. As stated on the github wiki:

This space will survive reboot (but it might NOTsurvive firmware flashing, so back it up first before flashing!).

I just reformat it after a flash just to be sure I don't run into any problems.

I was happy to see that the order of the tabs in Traffic Analyzer was changed, so now I have another suggestion/request.
Can you reorganise the order of the content in the Traffic Monitor tab to show the Trend area first and the helpful text at the bottom?

Attachments

• Traffic Monitor.png
    Traffic Monitor.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 558
speaking of openssl, 1.0.2b is now released with several security fixes. I hope that can be built into the next release.

Even setting guest allowed for samba shares I get only read access (tested on windows and Linux laptops). Is this the normal behaviour for guest accounts?any workaround?

Thanks for the answer. Seems weird as this router is barely a year old.

Should I be worried about this popping up every time I format the JFFS? I thought the flash was graded for 100000 writes, which is why JFFS was enabled by default. I don't do any frequent writes to it, besides the occasional reformat after a firmware flash.

It's actually common with those flash chips. They even maintain a bad sector table to map these out. I don't know any details as to how these actually work however.

It's actually common with those flash chips. They even maintain a bad sector table to map these out. I don't know any details as to how these actually work however.

Thanks for the clarification. For a moment there I thought my router was dying. But it seems now that it's normal for a few sectors to fail after about a year.

According to Merlins change log for the 55 release. Although I do see from your link your looking at a different site then I am.

Asuswrt-Merlin Changelog
========================
378.55 (xx-xxx-2015)
- NEW: Merged with GPL 6065. Notable changes from Asus:
o New token-based webui authentication (more secure)
o OpenVPN certificates moved to JFFS2, saving nvram.
key/cert fields will show up empty on the webui,
any new key/cert you paste will be written back
to /jffs/openvpn/ .
o New network client list on the network map
o CTF support for PPTP/L2TP WAN (Russian ISPs) (ARM)
- NEW: Reformatted DHCP lease list under System Log.
- CHANGED: The JFFS2 partition is now always enabled, as it is
required by various firmware functions. The options
to format it or to enable/disable user config/scripts
remain configurable.
- CHANGED: Updated OpenVPN to 2.3.7.
- CHANGED: Updated OpenSSL to 1.0.2b.

According to Merlins change log for the 55 release. Although I do see from your link your looking at a different site then I am.

I don't update the Changelog or the README with every commit, only once in a while. The commit log is the proper place to look for the latest development.

I don't update the Changelog or the README with every commit, only once in a while. The commit log is the proper place to look for the latest development.

Thanks Merlin will keep that in mind. :)

My external is still not working on the newer firmware/ntfs drivers:

Dec 31 17:00:36 hotplug[428]: USB /dev/sda2(ntfs) failed to mount at the first try!
Dec 31 17:00:36 usb: USB /dev/sda2(ntfs) failed to mount At the first try!
Dec 31 17:00:36 kernel: ufsd: use builtin utf8 instead of kernel utf8
Dec 31 17:03:08 kernel: ufsd: sda2 without journal
Dec 31 17:03:08 syslog: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sda2 mounted on /tmp/mnt/DroboS
Dec 31 17:03:08 usb: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sda2 mounted on /tmp/mnt/DroboS.
Dec 31 17:03:10 asusware: umount partition /dev/sda2...
Dec 31 17:03:10 disk monitor: unmount partition
Dec 31 17:03:11 syslog: USB partition unmounted from /tmp/mnt/DroboS

RT-AC87U, issue with Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list. I manually assigned around 20 IP's, all OK there. Then I went to Network Map, Clients. Clicked on Client profile and changed the name for one client and clicked on the padlock and OK. Now when I go back to the manually assigned page I now have no manually assigned IP's showing and the GUI is cut off at the top. This is on Safari, Apple iMac.
Edit: If I unlock the same client in Network Map/Clients all is back to normal again.
It looks like you can only assign a manual IP in the one place otherwise it screws up the Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list page.
I did not have this issue on the official Asus firmware. If I locked a client on the Network Map/Clients it was reflected in the manually assigned IP list on the LAN/DHCP Server page.

The DPCP name in the DHCP table should be without spaces. Otherwise it will show in the Wireless Log and DHCP leases as space or star. The only place to set the right name is in the Lan=>DPCP Server.
The name will be automatically adjusted in the Network Map=> Clients after the client lease will expire or the client will disconnect and reconnect to the network.
If you will change the client name in Network Map=> Clients=> Client Profile it will still appear as space or star in the Wireless Log and DHCP leases.

Last edited:
I have encountered a possible bug. When connected using an OpenVPN client on the router, the Download Bandwith reported via Adaptive QoS > Bandwidth Monitor (Adaptive QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor) seems to always report zero.

My external is still not working on the newer firmware/ntfs drivers:
Dec 31 17:03:08 usb: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sda2 mounted on /tmp/mnt/DroboS.
Dec 31 17:03:10 asusware: umount partition /dev/sda2...
Dec 31 17:03:10 disk monitor: unmount partition
Dec 31 17:03:11 syslog: USB partition unmounted from /tmp/mnt/DroboS
Hi,

Did you already do a "check disk" of the attached USB drive on you PC? Could have a file system error... :oops:

As you use Windows NTFS: Is there any chance to switch to EXT3/4 (Linux format)? I run USB disks for years without any problem - but always Linux formatted. :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
Hello RMerlin,

I found this device DSL-AC68U released by Asus. Is it by any chance compatible with 378.54_2?

Hello RMerlin,

I found this device DSL-AC68U released by Asus. Is it by any chance compatible with 378.54_2?

No, none of the DSL models are.

I have a feeling Eric will ban me from using this forum after these questions lol :D

1 - here is the thing , I want to block ALL clients if OVPN goes down
Chose option yes under "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" Do i need to add all clients/IP ?
If Yes = Thank you o_O
If No = what would happen if i added them and do i need to add the Destination IP ?

2 - Did i screw up with question one and if i want to block all clients from using the internet if OVPN went down i need to chose All Traffic under "Redirect Internet traffic" ?
If Yes = Thank you :rolleyes:
If No = Someone Please explain what is it for

------------------------
btw i read README-merlin and got lost :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!