What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As for the useless rebooting: i noticed in the past that my 5Ghz band would become unresponsive even though clients were connected to it.
Why then not just restart the wireless instead of the whole router: service restart_wireless?

I just installed a Honeywell wifi thermostat and I am getting these messages in the log every 8 seconds:
Nov 16 06:21:58 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Nov 16 06:22:06 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Nov 16 06:22:15 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Nov 16 06:22:23 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

Is this something I need to take back to the manufacturer or is this a router issue?

I just installed a Honeywell wifi thermostat and I am getting these messages in the log every 8 seconds:
Nov 16 06:21:58 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Nov 16 06:22:06 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Nov 16 06:22:15 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Nov 16 06:22:23 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

Is this something I need to take back to the manufacturer or is this a router issue?

Does that have something to do with "Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2"?? If not please put a post in regular Asus wifi forum and not on Merlins FW.

I am using 378.56_2. I have no idea if it is an ASUS problem. That's why I posted here.

Ok, what I mean´t was that have you used this "Honeywell wifi thermostat" with any Asus FW (stock/RMerlin)?? If not I guess you need to flash it with stock FW and install and see what happens.

This "Honeywell wifi thermostat" have nothing to do itself with RMerlin Asuswrt that was my point, if you have run earlier versions of RMerlin and with this "Honeywell wifi thermostat" and it have been working then ofc something might be wrong with RMerlin FW.

Just because you have flashed with version 378.56_2 and then installed this "Honeywell wifi thermostat" it hard to say whats wrong (at least for me but maybe RMerlin might have a clue).

Ok Start with WAN makes sense.
As for the useless rebooting: i noticed in the past that my 5Ghz band would become unresponsive even though clients were connected to it.
Thats why i reboot every night.(prolly the Quantenna drivers)

Oh good, I am not the only one with 5Ghz issues... Now to find out why it is borked.

I'd do a factory reset, but I really don't want to lose my DHCP configs.

Hi Merlin,

I'm siting with the latest version 378.56_2 and when I try to portforward two rules with the same port but with different LOCAL IP, I get a pop-up windows saying: the entry already exist. Should it be like that or is there is a bug in the firmware?

Other than that, I really happy with your versions of the firmware. Keep up the great work you are going :)

Hi Merlin,

I'm siting with the latest version 378.56_2 and when I try to portforward two rules with the same port but with different LOCAL IP, I get a pop-up windows saying: the entry already exist. Should it be like that or is there is a bug in the firmware?

This is normal. It's technically impossible to forward one single port to two different IPs. It's like having a door that can simultaneously open to two different rooms - you'd be basically breaking the laws of physics if you ever achieved this. :)

The readme.merlin.txt description of how to use the "Enhanced Traffic Monitoring" is confusing. I can switch it on but I never see any per IP data. Does it not work in Access Point mode? Also, the readme is not clear whether you can use IPTraffic and store to RAM? Certainly the GUI allows me to configure these options but normally options are disabled and greyed out when they are not available. Has anybody got this to work in Access Point configuration?

I'm having issues, with Merlin's 378.56_2, I have an Asus RT-AC56U, and the wireless seems a bit unstable and I don't mean the signal, I've done a few tests and will do some serious testing over the weekend to see if I can find the issue.

If there is only one wifi device connected It works perfectly, but if there is 3+ devices it gets unstable, Example I have a Foscam IP camera that uses 2.4 GHz Wirless N, and when my wifes Iphone and son's tablet connect to the wifi, I cannot access the camera on LAN nor WAN, but if I ask then to turn off the Iphone and tablet, the camera works perfectly, My wife's phone uses 5GHz band and my Son's tablet uses 2.4GHz band. and the above is just an example, I also see that It does the same thing to my Galaxy s4 and laptop (2.4 GHz), My Galaxy S4 switches to 2.4GHz when the 5 GHz becomes unstable and then it switch back when the 2.4 GHz becomes unstable.

I already reset the router and set it up from scratch 3 times, and that resolves the whole issue for 3 days only, and then it starts to do it again.

Last edited:
The readme.merlin.txt description of how to use the "Enhanced Traffic Monitoring" is confusing. I can switch it on but I never see any per IP data. Does it not work in Access Point mode? Also, the readme is not clear whether you can use IPTraffic and store to RAM? Certainly the GUI allows me to configure these options but normally options are disabled and greyed out when they are not available. Has anybody got this to work in Access Point configuration?

No, it only works in Router mode. While in AP mode, there is no WAN interface, so there's nothing for the router to monitor.

No, it only works in Router mode. While in AP mode, there is no WAN interface, so there's nothing for the router to monitor.
Please consider adding this to the readme, and most definitely fix the GUI so the IPTraffic option is disabled and in-sensitive if in AP mode. Just needless confusion and frustration for users otherwise. :(

Also, if you fix the above can you please fix another related bug? On the Traffic Monitor page there is an obscure comment "Click HERE to disable NAT Acceleration" where HERE is a URL to http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_SwitchCtrl_Content.asp. That page does not seem to be accessible from anywhere else. If you use that page to disable NAT acceleration then the original comment and link disappear(!) so there is no way to go back and reenable NAT acceleration, other than a factory reset(?). I had to search the internet until I found somebody quoting that page link so I could restore that setting (which I was using in vain to try and address the earlier issue above).

It seems a very odd idea to only have that page accessible from a link in a comment anyhow so please consider adding that page into the proper menu hierarchy.

Also, if you fix the above can you please fix another related bug? On the Traffic Monitor page there is an obscure comment "Click HERE to disable NAT Acceleration" where HERE is a URL to http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_SwitchCtrl_Content.asp. That page does not seem to be accessible from anywhere else. If you use that page to disable NAT acceleration then the original comment and link disappear(!) so there is no way to go back and reenable NAT acceleration, other than a factory reset(?). I had to search the internet until I found somebody quoting that page link so I could restore that setting (which I was using in vain to try and address the earlier issue above).

It seems a very odd idea to only have that page accessible from a link in a comment anyhow so please consider adding that page into the proper menu hierarchy.

That warning was added by Asus to the stock firmware. That page is available in the LAN section, in the Switch Control tab. It's not visible in AP mode because NAT acceleration has no effect at all in AP mode. So, the way it currently works is correct - there's no point in being able to re-enable NAT acceleration in AP mode, as it doesn't do anything.

This is normal. It's technically impossible to forward one single port to two different IPs. It's like having a door that can simultaneously open to two different rooms - you'd be basically breaking the laws of physics if you ever achieved this. :)

How about Quantum computers :p

I am unable to compile this version. I get the following error:

juan@juan-VirtualBox:~/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/libxml2$ ./configure
./configure: line 2244: syntax error near unexpected token `config.h'
./configure: line 2244: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'

I am on Ubuntu 15 and have followed all the build environment instructions.

I'm running stock 376_3626 on ac68u. Can I install this version directly or should I perform some incremental updates first?

For that matter, would it be advisable to update to latest stock version?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!