What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin - custom build of the Asus RT-N66U firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using dyndns as my provider and I setup a cronjob to run this command to update it periodically, maybe it might help you

/usr/sbin/ez-ipupdate -c /jffs/scripts/ez-ipupdate.conf

The conf file should look something like this

service-type=dyndns
user=myname:mypassword
interface=eth0
host=mydomain.com

Traffic manager seems to be working fine here.

Not sure whats up but some times I can't get access using my ddns hostname, most of the time it's alright.

If my external IP has changed it gets updated by the ddns cliente on the router as expected but for some reason it dosen't get resolved by the router properly when trying to access the router remotly or my ftp server.

If I ping my hostname from a windows laptop it answers and it resolves my external IP address and with that I can get access fine.

If I resave the settings on the ddns menu tab system log outputs this:

Jul 24 00:51:10 notify_rc : restart_ddns
Jul 24 00:51:10 ddns: IP address & hostname have not changed since the last update.

But it still times out when using my hostname but maybe in 10/20 minutes it'll work.

FWIW I've had this strange behaviour on Tomatousb for a long time too so maybe it's a problem with the ddns cliente or a problem on my end.

Thanks, might look into it.

Don't really know why this happens maybe just flakey dyndns free service.

Edit: Asus is using ez-ipupdate release 3.0.11b5, there is a more recent 3.0.11b8 version available that maybe has fixed some of these issues.

Last edited:
Merlin,

Will updating to beta 3 wreck all the JFFS scripts ?

EDIT: just did the upgrade, and my JFFS scripts remained intact.

Last edited:
Thanks, might look into it.

Don't really know why this happens maybe just flakey dyndns free service.

Edit: Asus is using ez-ipupdate release 3.0.11b5, there is a more recent 3.0.11b8 version available that maybe has fixed some of these issues.

Is there a way to update the asus version?

I'm having an issue in Windows 7 under Network and Sharing Center, See Full Map... Windows is not able to find any devices on the network, but I have other computers connected to the router...

Windows Explorer, under Network, I can only see this computer, and not any of my other networked computers...

But if I enter the \\computer name or ip address, I can get to them just fine...

Nothing being blocked by computer firewalls... I do see ICMP traffic from the router to this computer Type 3, Code 3... Port unreachable...

Help...

Traffic manager seems to be working fine here.

Not sure whats up but some times I can't get access using my ddns hostname, most of the time it's alright.

If my external IP has changed it gets updated by the ddns cliente on the router as expected but for some reason it dosen't get resolved by the router properly when trying to access the router remotly or my ftp server.

If I ping my hostname from a windows laptop it answers and it resolves my external IP address and with that I can get access fine.

If I resave the settings on the ddns menu tab system log outputs this:

Jul 24 00:51:10 notify_rc : restart_ddns
Jul 24 00:51:10 ddns: IP address & hostname have not changed since the last update.

But it still times out when using my hostname but maybe in 10/20 minutes it'll work.

FWIW I've had this strange behaviour on Tomatousb for a long time too so maybe it's a problem with the ddns cliente or a problem on my end.

Sounds like a caching issue. To be sure, when you are having issues resolving, try running this on a Windows command prompt:

nslookup your.dyndns.org 4.2.2.2

This will force a lookup from one of Level 3's DNS, bypassing any local cache. That should indicate if you are having local caching issues, or something else with updating.

I tried to find an official source for the ez-ipupdate sources to at least see what was changed, but all I can find is either 9 years old code on Sourceforge, or a website that only shows "Under construction".

I'm having an issue in Windows 7 under Network and Sharing Center, See Full Map... Windows is not able to find any devices on the network, but I have other computers connected to the router...

Windows Explorer, under Network, I can only see this computer, and not any of my other networked computers...

But if I enter the \\computer name or ip address, I can get to them just fine...

Nothing being blocked by computer firewalls... I do see ICMP traffic from the router to this computer Type 3, Code 3... Port unreachable...

Help...

Make sure workstation service is running in services.msc

Help...

Depends who is the Master Browser on your network. If you are sharing a USB disk on the router, the router will become the Master Browser, and this should ensure that everyone can easily resolve names. But if one of your computers was elected Master Browser and it doesn't allow access to other computers, Netbios name resolution will be borked.

Download the "lanscan" tool on this website: http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

Run it, and see who is listed as the master browser. If it can't find the master browser, run it on every computer until you can identify who is the Master Browser. Once you've identified which computer is the master browser of your network, start looking into its configuration (firewall, security software, etc...)

If you are sharing a USB disk on the router then make sure you properly configured the workgroup on USB Applications -> Servers Center -> Miscellaneous setting.

The Master Browser is determined by an election. Servers have priority over workstations. The router is configured as a server, so it should always win over workstation OSes.

Hi RMerlin. ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.164 released on ASUS website today (07-23-2012). I assume it's similar to the RT-N66U builds. They give you a shout out in the bug fixes.

Fix bugs:
1. UI related bugs
2. Network map cannot show device name.
3. QoS control for wired connected devices.
4. Special character name/password issue in VPN server.
5. Download master installing issue in AP mode.
6. PPPoE compatibility issue.
7. L2TP compatibility issue.
8. Sonos audio system and network map compatibility issue. Special thanks to Merlin for his contribution.
9. IPv6 6in4 memory leak
10.IPTV multicast related issues
11.FTP/Samba account change issue

Modified
1. Temporarily removed enable AiCloud option, as the service will officially launch late August.
2. Enable cross night setting in wireless radio on/off setting page.
3. Adjust WDS connection rule
4. Enable Beceem Wimax support.
5. Change default wireless security to WPA-AES in QIS.
6. Add Spanish language.
7. Modify VPN server UI.
8. HTTPS authentication
9. Tune IPv6 connection for ComCast
10.Download master BT cache size changed to 256KB
11.Download master supports crosse night schedule setting
12.Download master shows amulle server connection status

Last edited:
He's aware of the firmware update.

I couldn't find the source either, just found a more resent .deb version. Seems the project was abandoned a few years back.

Edit: found this link
http://ez-ipupdate.com/dist/ez-ipupdate-3.0.11b7.tar.gz

Or maybe the OpenWRT source is useable:

https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/packages/net/ez-ipupdate

Edit2: After searching around there is no more recent source than the one already in your git.
Looks like the devs at openWRT have just heavily patched this version.

Last edited:
Asus published the sources to 3.0.0.4.164 for the RT-AC66U. I suspect they will do the same with 3.0.0.3.162 for the RT-N66U in a day or two.

Now that Asus released newer source code than what they sent me, I have pushed all my latest changes to Github. The git repo is fully up-to-date now.

Sounds like a caching issue. To be sure, when you are having issues resolving, try running this on a Windows command prompt:

This will force a lookup from one of Level 3's DNS, bypassing any local cache. That should indicate if you are having local caching issues, or something else with updating.

I tried to find an official source for the ez-ipupdate sources to at least see what was changed, but all I can find is either 9 years old code on Sourceforge, or a website that only shows "Under construction".

OK, remotely accessed and turned off QOS, this has forced a wan ip renew and I lost access using my dyndns hostname.

Command: nslookup your.dyndns.org 4.2.2.2

Servidor: b.resolvers.Level3.net
Address: 4.2.2.2

Respuesta no autoritativa:
Nombre: my.dyndns.org
Address: new external ip

I can now get access with my new ip but not with my dyndns hostname.

OK, remotely accessed and turned off QOS, this has forced a wan ip renew and I lost access using my dyndns hostname.

Command: nslookup your.dyndns.org 4.2.2.2

Servidor: b.resolvers.Level3.net
Address: 4.2.2.2

Respuesta no autoritativa:
Nombre: my.dyndns.org
Address: new external ip

I can now get access with my new ip but not with my dyndns hostname.

If that query did return the new IP then it means it's a caching issue, either local or on the router.

I'll see if I can reproduce the issue here (I also use DynDNS's free services). It's possible that dnsmasq isn't being restarted (or flushed out) after a DynDNS update.

I noticed the following error message in my log related to traffic monitoring

rstats[528]: Problem loading /dev/sda1/tomato_rstats_10bf48d30e68.gz. Still trying.

Anyone know why that is happening ? do I need to put the path as the mount point ?

I noticed the following error message in my log related to traffic monitoring

rstats[528]: Problem loading /dev/sda1/tomato_rstats_10bf48d30e68.gz. Still trying.

Anyone know why that is happening ? do I need to put the path as the mount point ?

That path is incorrect. It should be /mnt/sda1/ (and don't forget the trailing slash).

Anyone have a quick how-to on setting up an SSH authentication key? could I port one from an existing openssh setup ?

Anyone have a quick how-to on setting up an SSH authentication key? could I port one from an existing openssh setup ?

Check http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/Public_key_authentication_with_ssh

The public key is what needs to be pasted on the router. It will look somewhat like this:

ssh-rsa AAAAB3124okgajjkladgjkljkladg
(and a few more lines similar gibberish)
RJKOEJKjkegfJKEFewrJw==

The private key will be what you use to authenticate yourself (check your client's instructions if not using a Linux command prompt to connect to the router).

If you already have a private/public keypair, then yes you can reuse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!