What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin - custom build of the Asus RT-N66U firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opening router ports should be done in the firewall-start script.

I think that I found root of problem.

Script firewall-start running twice. First time for WAN port. At this time interface ppp0 is down. Second time when pptp connection established.

In "iptables -L" I see my rules from firewall-start twice. May it is root of my problem???

May be right way is put firewall rules to wan-start ??

UPDATE:
before calling firewall-start all iptables rules flushed. I think problem is around parallel script execution. I add "sleep 1" before each iptables command in firewall-start and now it's working. Very strange thing...

Last edited:
DLNA keeps disconnecting on Philips TV

Dear Merlin,

I bought this wonderful router and I installed immediately your firmware. All seems to work flawlessly, but I've a problem with my Philips TV and DLNA, probably related to its firmware. Summarizing, I've problem on connecting the TV to the server and, once connected, the TV disconnects itself randomly after minutes, apparently without a reason. I found a post on SourceForge, describing my same problem and a way to solve that for a similar DLNA server (MediaTomb):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediatomb/forums/forum/440751/topic/4576811

apparently, the problem lays on the MULTICAST property of the connection: is that a way for doing a similar procedure on the RT-N66U router for achieving the same result?

Thanks in advance!

apparently, the problem lays on the MULTICAST property of the connection: is that a way for doing a similar procedure on the RT-N66U router for achieving the same result?

No idea. Interfaces are managed by the firmware and not by regular Linux config script in a router, so I don't know if similar effects can be reached manually.

Sounds like something Philips needs to address if it occurs with not one but two completely different DLNA server. Have you looked for any firmware upgrade from them?

Matthew_eli, not sure if it will help, but did you enable multicasting for the router, and see if that helps? Under LAN and then under the IPTV tab "enable multicast routing."

Thanks for the replies: I've updated the TV to the latest firmware, but the problem still persists, also enabling multicast on the IPTV Tab settings.

BTW, seems that the miniDLNA server built in the router suffers on infexing files; it seems not able to index all the files in my 2 TB Hard Drive, probably there are too many files (4000 approx, pictures overall, movies and music). Is there a way for checking the scan activity of the media server and for controlling it?

Merlin, have you already planned to integrate a better media server (Mediatomb, perhaps?)

Thanks in advance

MediaTomb has too many dependencies, it would take a good amount of firmware space. Plus it hasn't been updated in years sadly. However I think it can be installed through Optware.

MiniDLNA's scanner has a tendency to choke whenever it runs into a corrupted media. Try splitting your medias until you can isolate a potentially damaged file that would cause it scan process to abort.

A few people suggested that I use a Twitter feed for posting news. This might be helpful, as I'm currently getting scattered all over the place with SNB, Asus's forums, my personal website, etc...

You can now follow RMerlinDev on Twitter for future development updates. I'll still be very active here on SNB, but a bit less on the Asus forums (posting on their forums is always a pain since they don't support Chrome, and now I would have to follow both the AC66U and N66U sub-forums there).

You can now follow RMerlinDev on Twitter for future development updates.

Did you mean "MerlinDev"? RMerlinDev apparently doesn't exist at Twitter...

Ciao
Gerald

Attachments

• Cap-120810-04.png
    Cap-120810-04.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 323
Hi Merlin, you repair enable radio in ypour last FW? .14b? Because is always off. :(

Check your radio schedule to make sure it's not disabling it, because there's currently a known issue where the radio won't turn itself on if the schedule turns it off.

Merlin; Thank you for your firmware.

I do have a question about the Print Server that is most likely not related to the firmware at all, but thought I would give it a shot.

I am unable to see the printer status (such as ink levels). I am able to print without issue however. I did a quick search in this thread for 'printer' and did not see similar issues.

Looking at the support from my printer manufacturer (Canon ip4600) I found that the print server and the client both must have enabled 'bidirectional communication' in order to view printer status.

When I have the printer connected to a PC I can do this (on the same menu you select what port it uses). With it enabled on the host pc and another pc I can see the printer status.

I can't seem to find a way to enable this bidirectional support on the router though (at least, I assume this to be the problem).

The only 'troubleshooting' I've been able to do is toggle the monopoly mode on and off, as I can't seem to find any other settings to play with. The monopoly mode did not resolve this issue.

Do you have any guidance?

Again, thank you for your firmware and in advance for any help you could provide!

~ MaddB

Vpn

Hi Merlin.

I was here awhile back and have been following this thread about. Seems like you've added a few options in your version that I asked about earlier. Mainly:
(1) being able to label and reserve your Devices
(2) you added no-ip.org DDNS

Which version is a stable version that has those options? Also, the latest fw has 64nvram right? am I correct?

can you please give me some instructions on how to flash my rtn66u with your custom FW? I am currently using stock FW .112..... I understand that I cannot save and retrieve my configurations right? I can only do a fresh install of your fw right?

with regards to your VPN, would I be able to set certain device of my network, not all, to go through a VPN server?

thank you

kd

Hi Merlin.

I was here awhile back and have been following this thread about. Seems like you've added a few options in your version that I asked about earlier. Mainly:
(1) being able to label and reserve your Devices
(2) you added no-ip.org DDNS

Which version is a stable version that has those options? Also, the latest fw has 64nvram right? am I correct?

can you please give me some instructions on how to flash my rtn66u with your custom FW? I am currently using stock FW .112..... I understand that I cannot save and retrieve my configurations right? I can only do a fresh install of your fw right?

with regards to your VPN, would I be able to set certain device of my network, not all, to go through a VPN server?

thank you

kd

my god... just download the latest build and follow the instructions in the readme.txt or go through the thread for the flashing procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!