What's new

Backup and NAS recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bdresch

New Around Here
I am currently using a WNDR3700 with a 1.5TB USB drive as a basic NAS on my network. I am doing windows 7 backups from 2 PCs on it as well as using it to store all my RAW files and dslr video files. I'm getting a MacBook pro this fall so I need to upgrade to something that will do time machine backups. I'm also not happy with the speed. Once I get my MacBook I'd also like to move a lot of my media files to the NAS for easy access across my devices and remotely. Im thinking 4tb may cover me but would like it to be upgradable. Ive build many windows boxes and 1 Linux box a few years back so would be comfortable DIY. I know very little about Macs and what it takes to make time machine work, so thought I would see what you guys on here recommend.

I am currently using a WNDR3700 with a 1.5TB USB drive as a basic NAS on my network. I am doing windows 7 backups from 2 PCs on it as well as using it to store all my RAW files and dslr video files. I'm getting a MacBook pro this fall so I need to upgrade to something that will do time machine backups. I'm also not happy with the speed. Once I get my MacBook I'd also like to move a lot of my media files to the NAS for easy access across my devices and remotely. Im thinking 4tb may cover me but would like it to be upgradable. Ive build many windows boxes and 1 Linux box a few years back so would be comfortable DIY. I know very little about Macs and what it takes to make time machine work, so thought I would see what you guys on here recommend.
I'm not MAC literate but they do have a Time Machine backup software package. I do the same with that functionality that's within Synology's DSM4, and it's not Windows/MAC specific being in the NAS itself. Perhaps QNAP and other have a similar NAS capability. Mine's setup for the last 30 days of versions for selected folders.

Before I had decided I was getting a Mac I was planning on DIY as I have a nice case and PSU sitting around unused right now. But I was thinking Windows home server for an OS and I was wondering if adding a Mac would make that tougher.

Last edited:
Hmm that may make me rethink WHS. The reason I was thinking WHS was for an easy interface. I read through the "How to make a windows time machine server" and was thinking that may not be a bad way to go. The one thing I was unclear about in the article was if I can create a VM with WHS as my host OS? A friend of mine had suggested FreeNAS, his thought was that I could use that without a VM to create a NAS for time machine and windows backups. What's everyones thought on FreeNAS? I have a little Linux experience and can fight my way through command line with a little digging. In either case would an Atom 525 be enough horsepower to run WHS with a time machine VM or FreeNAS by itself, or should I go with something Sandy Bridge?

Timed Backup in Synology (and probably too QNAP) is easy.
Try those companies' on line demos.