What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.7.2 -Apr 1, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

More or less.
And for now, we are in the same time zone!

Enjoy the travels!

1711332431755.png

Let me know if you ever head up north! 😂

However, this morning it didn't(?).

*EDIT*
Neither did Diversion_WeeklyStats and uiDivStats_trim.
Didn't for me either two weeks ago... EST timezone.
Just to put a final pin in this. I have managed to confirm your observations for both spring and autumn DST changes.
EDIT: After testing it appears there is a bug/feature in crond whereby it doesn't compensate for DST changes despite the comments to that effect in the source code. So yes, when the time goes forward one hour's worth of jobs are skipped, and when the time goes backward one hour's worth of jobs are repeated.

Last edited:
Just to put a final pin in this. I have managed to confirm your observations for both spring and autumn DST changes.
Sweet! Do we get some free "we uncovered a bug in crond" shirts for this or something!? ;) Do you think @dave14305 would like to give this another stab since he did such a fabulous job fixing the concurrent job/locking issue? :)

Last edited:
Sweet! Do we get some free "we uncovered a bug in crond" shirts for this or something!? ;) Do you think @dave14305 would like to give this another stab since he did such a fabulous job fixing the concurrent job/locking issue? :)
Unfortunately cru and crond are two different things. The best that can be done is raise an issue with writers of crond.

A t-shirt would be great though 😉

Unfortunately cru and crond are two different things. The best that can be done is raise an issue with writers of crond.

A t-shirt would be great though 😉
Lol. Just saying I know @dave14305 would be able to fix this... seems right up his alley! ;)

watchdog is supposed to restart firewall, wan and parental controls when DST takes effect. Would restarting cron help?
I can't see that helping. I think that would just guarantee the behaviour I observed. Does OpenWRT use busybox's crond or something else? It would be useful to get a "second take" on busybox's behaviour. Maybe it's meant to work this way and I'm just misinterpreting the comments in the source code. I ran it in debug mode and it didn't look like it was even attempting to do what the comments suggested it should.

I can't see that helping. I think that would just guarantee the behaviour I observed. Does OpenWRT use busybox's crond or something else? It would be useful to get a "second take" on busybox's behaviour. Maybe it's meant to work this way and I'm just misinterpreting the comments in the source code. I ran it in debug mode and it didn't look like it was even attempting to do what the comments suggested it should.
Leaping ahead by more than 3600 seconds will result in no jobs running. Did you get a “time disparity” message in your syslog when it jumped?

What was your test? I don’t want to screw up my only working router right now. ;)

I must be missing something in the restore instructions, because I just wanted to test the first part to see if everything was set up correctly in case I needed to use it in future. I can check the settings via amtm, but if I paste the first command listed in the instructions, I get this:
Screenshot - 27_03_2024 , 11_10_12.png

This is what is in my jffs scripts folder:
Screenshot - 27_03_2024 , 11_08_55.png

Note: I copied the backupmon.cfg file prior to running sh backupmon.sh -setup after logging in to my router with Xshell7.

I must be missing something in the restore instructions, because I just wanted to test the first part to see if everything was set up correctly in case I needed to use it in future. I can check the settings via amtm, but if I paste the first command listed in the instructions, I get this:
View attachment 57480

This is what is in my jffs scripts folder:
View attachment 57481

Note: I copied the backupmon.cfg file prior to running sh backupmon.sh -setup after logging in to my router with Xshell7.

You first need to "change directories" (cd) before running a statement like that...

cd /jffs/scripts
Type 'ls' to list the files in the directories to know you're in the right spot, then:
sh backupmon.sh -setup

From that original location (/tmp/home/root), you could have also done something like this:

sh /jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh -setup

Not forgetting
Code:
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh

Not forgetting
Code:
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh
I really need to run through a full restore again soon using my own instructions and see if I'm missing any other assumptions like this that need to be included.

I really need to run through a full restore again soon using my own instructions and see if I'm missing any other assumptions like this that need to be included.

*Cough* Test my latest PR while your at it. 😜 I'll sneak my own self-interests on any testing done by Viktor haha!

I have a copy of the instructions on my desktop starting with a step-by-step minimal router setup - part of the big plan for disaster.
Sorry, that sounds a little anal.

You first need to "change directories" (cd) before running a statement like that...

cd /jffs/scripts
Type 'ls' to list the files in the directories to know you're in the right spot, then:
sh backupmon.sh -setup

From that original location (/tmp/home/root), you could have also done something like this:

sh /jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh -setup
Aha. I thought it might be something like that, but I wasn't sure how to do it. I'll add this additional information to the BACKUPMON instructions file in case I forget if/when I need to use the restore option. Thanks for the advice.

I've just run the command again and it work's now (it takes me to the same place I would be if using amtm):
Screenshot - 27_03_2024 , 19_09_42.jpg

I've run the update and now I'm seeing this. Has something gone wrong?
After updating BACKUPMON.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!