What's new

Battery Backup or Surge Protector?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anyone try the lightning fire drill?

Your sitting at your desktop...

....you hear a slight crackle in the distance, 2 minutes later the aircon is surging, your UPS's are singing tunes-relays chattering, room lights are flickering, and your running up and down stairs unplugging everything expensive connected to Ethernet or mains.

Orderly shutdown? Whats that? lol I have been in the above situation many times now. Hence my avatar represents how everything boots back up later on.

Good rule of thumb with thunderstorms is if the lighting and thunder is 30 seconds or more, you're likely ok, and less than that, take cover and appropriate actions.

Got that little info tidbit from a friend of mine who is a telephone company premises technician.

I have a APC UPS 1250 that I purchased at SAMs Club, they have them at Costco also. I consider it to be the most valuable computer item I have EVER purchased! It has paid for itself in keeping sudden shutoffs from storms blowing/breaking computer parts. Since I installed it I have not had a single electronic problem with my computer, modem/router, printer, NOTHING! It also trickle charges batteries in my mouse and keyboard.

It works by orderly shutting everything down correctly. I then turn things back on when I want to, wouldn't have it any other way!!

Last edited:
I have a APC UPS 1250 that I purchased at SAMs Club, they have them at Costco also. I consider it to be the most valuable computer item I have EVER purchased!

They're nice little units - saw these over at Costco the other day... don't know if you need to be a member to order/purchase these on line...

http://www.costco.com/APC-1080VA-Power-Saving-Back-UPS-with-8-Outlets.product.100123292.html

I have something similar - it runs the NAS, the Modem, router, AP, and a 8 port managed switch - works well enough for my QNAP to shut it down, only complaint I've had with it is that the System Management connection is USB based, and it's QNAP's pseudo-standard, but minor complaint in a small home office network environment.

They're nice little units - saw these over at Costco the other day... don't know if you need to be a member to order/purchase these on line...

http://www.costco.com/APC-1080VA-Power-Saving-Back-UPS-with-8-Outlets.product.100123292.html

I have something similar - it runs the NAS, the Modem, router, AP, and a 8 port managed switch - works well enough for my QNAP to shut it down, only complaint I've had with it is that the System Management connection is USB based, and it's QNAP's pseudo-standard, but minor complaint in a small home office network environment.

You can probably get a good one (if you need another) on Amazon even cheaper, but be careful, Amazon has been getting greedier over the last few months, Best Buy will match any price you get from Amazon, Costco, or Sam's club.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!