What's new

Being asked for Password when trying to connect to PC on LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bizres

New Around Here
Hello,

I've just got a new Win8.1 laptop and am trying to connect to it from my Linux Mint 15 PC but am being asked to enter a password (pls see attached image, where amaan is the name of my Win8.1 laptop and lenovo-fk is the user a/c on my Linux Mint PC from where I'm trying to connect).

I can see my Win8.1 laptop from the Linux Mint >> Network >> Windows Network >> WORKGROUP >> AMAAN
but when I double-click on AMAAN to connect to it, is when this password pop-up comes up.

I've tried entering the password for my Linux user a/c; the login p/word of the Win8.1 and even the HOMEGROUP password from Win8.1 but to no avail.

I've always connected to my WinXP laptop directly this way without ever being asked for any passwords.

Would really appreciate some help on this,pls.

Attachments

• network.gif
    network.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 518
Did you set windows 8 to use an MS account to log in? Try use that e-mail and password.

If that doesn't work, you may find this useful. I would try making the machine searchable then turning off password protected sharing.

Did you set windows 8 to use an MS account to log in? Try use that e-mail and password.

If that doesn't work, you may find this useful. I would try making the machine searchable then turning off password protected sharing.

Thanks, Brandon.

Yep, I sure have set Win 8.1 to use Outlook a/c for login and the turning off password protected sharing did the trick.

Thanks.