What's new

Best ap/bridge for my new NETGEAR WNDR3700??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

internet+htpc<-wired->wndr3700<-5Ghz->wndr3700<-2.4Ghz->workstation

so the second wndr3700 would act as a bridge on 5Ghz but having the 2.4Ghz wlan activated there shouldn't be any loss (so i thought) as two completely different bands are used and the wndr3700 has some what 8 antennas build in as far as i know so it should be able to receive and transmit on both bands simultaneously

but from what i read here this setup will not work (pleas correct me)

Your proposed setup should work, assuming that using the 5 GHz band will give you enough throughput due to its reduced range vs. 2.4 GHz.

Why do you need to run wireless to the workstation? I'd connect via Ethernet if at all possible.

both solutions (wired or wireless) have their pros and cons
the wired solution should have slightly higher throughput but i would need approx. 25m wire and i wouldn't be able to hide it sufficiently (wired solution would enable WOL, which could be useful in my setup :) )
but wireless is more flexible (i could easily switch 2.4 and 5 Ghz band in my setup if 5Ghz is not strong enough) and most important is that there is no need of a wire

but i just noticed today that the wndr3700 and the wnhde111 are somewhat discontinued (wndr3700 is only in the archive at netgear.com but still available at some stores and the wnhde111 is sold out (at least here in germany) but still listed on the website

so i might just order a wndr3700 to try my suggested setup, but does anybody know what's up with the wnhde111 (thats the bridge for the wired setup) are there new products on their way (should i wait)?

Not sure what's happening in Germany. But NETGEAR would be crazy to discontinue the WNDR3700 at this point, given that it's a best seller. WNHDE111 and WNDR3700 are both alive and well on the U.S. NETGEAR site.

Do what you want. But a wired connection, ugly cable or not is going to provide higher and more stable throughput than any wireless connection you're going to get.

Not sure what's happening in Germany. But NETGEAR would be crazy to discontinue the WNDR3700 at this point, given that it's a best seller. WNHDE111 and WNDR3700 are both alive and well on the U.S. NETGEAR site.

Do what you want. But a wired connection, ugly cable or not is going to provide higher and more stable throughput than any wireless connection you're going to get.

the wndr3700 is not discontinued as far as i know. its possible that its temporarily not available because production cant keep up with the demand though.

i dont know about the wnhde111. its on the market for a while now, so its at least possible that its end of life. its still not beeing listed as EOL on netgear.com (same as wndr3700).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!