What's new

Best router for Behringer X32 digital mixer?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

guitarslingerzero

Occasional Visitor
Greetings! New to the forums, my search for a "bulletproof" router for my digital mixer led me here- I'm using the Behringer X-32 ( http://origin.behringer.com/EN/products/X32-RACK.aspx ). I'll be running a laptop into the router via ethernet as my hardwired safety net, but also need the router to be able to reliably maintain several (5-6) device connections from iPads (Gen 1 up to the latest) and iPhones (5 and ups) especially in Wi-Fi crowded live musical venues. No internet connection is needed or will be used, the router is strictly to connect the devices to the X-32 to control front-of-house sound and personal monitor mix duties. Most devices will be within 30 feet or so of the router, though the FOH iPads may have to go 100 feet or more at times. Range is important, but as previously stated reliable connectivity without frequent dropouts is my #1 priority.

Liking what I've read about the Asus line, but want the professionals opinions before I jump. I'm open to any brand, just don't want to overspend (but don't mind spending for reliability) on a unit that might be overkill for my needs. As far as the Asus models, would something like the Asus RT-N66 suffice, or do I need to step up to the AC68? Or do I need to go to a tri-band like the RT-3200? Is there another brand, or model, that you would recommend and stand behind as "connectivity king"?

Many thanks in advance for any and all help.

Since you have all Apple devices, best bet is AirPort Extreme. I suggest sticking with 5 GHz if you can (should be ok for no walls and distances you cite). 2.4 GHz likely to be way too crowded.

Sounds like your application is low bandwidth so that's good. If you want ASUS, do the RT-AC68. Even without AC devices, newer design will provide better performance. It's also a tried and true Broadcom chipset.

Any of the newer stuff would be waste of money. In NO case get an RT-AC87. Too many compatibility problems with the Quantenna 5 GHz radio.

I was going to suggest the same thing - and the plus side is that they're fairly compact and travel well in a traveling case...

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately Apple Airport is one of the routers that doesn't play nice with the Behringer- have to use a net switch to get it to work at all with the new gen and even then its iffy (I did try an older gen AE,only 2.4ghz no 5, and while it connected to the X32 fine it dropped connections on all devices every 30 seconds or so in every environment except my studio).

Interesting... have you reached out to Behringer for their recommendations for your use case?

I have scoured the Behringer sites and forums, as well as every other digital mixer and router site/forum I could find. Behringer has seemingly been reluctant to recommend anything, instead relying on their customer base (which, while mostly incredibly savvy on music gear hasn't panned out to be the best bet when it comes to routers for some reason) to suggest router mates.

As I stated earlier, not locked to Asus, so if there's something better/more reliable from a connectivity aspect I'd love to hear about it. :)

guitarslingerzero, it's been many years since I used a Berhringer product. I used a couple of things for the first theater I built but that was a few years ago and none of the products I used were near networking capable.

I've had very good experience with the N66U in the 5GHz band in regards to recent Apple products and a multitude of home theater devices. Never had a single problem. I have also always used Merlin's firmware for them. It's cheap and if it by any chance doesn't work, you won't have a problem selling it.

In my experience, in the 5GHz band the advantage goes to the N66U. It's all about bandwidth within a range.

Wanted to thank everyone for their help and suggestions. Went with the Asus AC68U, got a great deal at Frys ($139 brand new, not a refurb).

Loaded up Merlin's previous FW (wanted to go with the brand new Dec '15 ware but read about potential issues with the 2.4ghz on the 68U so thought better safe than sorry). Worked perfectly right off the bat, but need to customize for privacy and best connectivity with the iPhones and iPad. Lots to learn, I'm definitely a newb when it comes to digging into routers.

One issue I noticed right off the bat is that the iPhone (5s) and iPad (1st gen) will only connect to 2.4. Cannot for the life of me figure out how to "force" them into the 5ghz band.

Use unique ssid's for each band and only give your iPhone and ipad the 2.4GHz passwords.

I would also recommend you use two new ssid's and 'forget' and re-associate all your devices as needed too.

Many thanks again. Have set them as unique SSIDs, and got the iPad to connect easily to the 5ghz.

The iPhone on the other hand keeps giving me a "wrong password" message every time I try to sign onto it. Could just be a flaw of the 5s, will have to see what happens when I upgrade to the 7 later this year.

Using hidden password protected unique SSIDs, do I really need to worry about the IP address the router has? As this point it's on the default 192.68.1.1.

I would suggest that hidden ssid's are a bad idea with many newer devices and clients and also do not give you any real protection either.

If you unhide the ssid's, does everything work?

Also, did you 'forget' the old ssid on the iPhone? Even if it has the same password and same name?

Are you using 'illegal' characters in the ssid or the password?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!