What's new

Best setup solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarcoGT

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

this is currently my setup:

NAS Synology serving mainly as file server, no media server as first I need to upgrade my home network for streaming.
I have an Apple TV connected to my TV and I use it mainly to stream content from my Mac.
I plan in the future to buy a Mac Mini which will serve a home automation server; my question is if it makes sense to use Mac Mini also as file / media / web server and sell the NAS. Mac Mini will be stored in a separate room and I do not have direct control on it.

What do you think about it?

Thanks
Marco

I plan to use Mac Mini as iTunes Server and home automation server and Synology as file server...

I've considered getting a Mac Mini or a Zotac box or something similar but keep deciding that the OS is not optimized for media services. It's optimized for general purpose computing by a user who is sitting in front of it.

It's difficult to stream from the internet to a TV over the network. Serviio is the only program I know of that can stream from the internet to a DLNA receiver. PlayOn might work like Serviio. Twonky and many other programs can stream music or videos from a local server via DLNA. A PC offers a lot of wasted power just to stream some MP3 tunes from a drive to an AV receiver.

A 20 foot or 30 foot HDMI cable will give you a lot of streaming capability from a laptop to a TV and a low powered PC can support it. Chromecast is another option but a powerful processor is needed to transcode if tab casting.

Many routers will supply a lot of DLNA entertainment capability via a usb drive. NAS boxes provide more capability plus offer capable file serving.

I personally wouldn't buy a Mac Mini unless you knew exactly why you wanted it and how you planned to use it.

Last edited:
Before its untimely trip to hibernation, Sage TV with its client box at the TV, streamed 1080p nicely from an archive. I used it for years. Even my S.O. says it's UI was much better than CableCo's box.

Roku of course can connect by cat5 or WiFi, though that's lower res.

Roku of course can connect by cat5 or WiFi, though that's lower res.

For some reason I can't begin to understand, no single media device can do all things well. Roku handles streaming apps, but you need one for each TV and it doesn't handle DLNA without jumping through hoops. WD has several devices, each of which offers a different level of cripple.

You can re-purpose a tablet or get a Chromebox, but these are general purpose computers that can only use the apps made available. Your TV becomes a big computer screen while you figure out what to do next ... ok for you but tedious to others watching with you.

Who knows what flaky ideas go through the heads of marketing people.

Serviio can stream internet content and home files via DLNA to any device in the house from a central location, but has no apps. PlayOn appears to do similar things as Serviio, but I have no direct experience with it because it costs money to try out. Plus PlayOn requires a dedicated PC that's either on a lot or wake on Lan is configured. Serviio runs on computers and some NAS boxes.

Chromecast is a great wireless streamer for a low cost, but tab casting requires a big processor. My i5 with a passmark of 4400 does tab casting acceptably. Dedicated Chhromecast apps can stream with a smartphone processor.

What is needed is a roku like device that supports usb and DLNA natively, plus can support custom scripts, all for under $100. Even better if it has NAS capabilities and one device can support the entire household.

Last edited:
My TV has enthernet and can get all the popular streaming services. And I can plug in a USB thumb drive with content.
Newer TVs add to this DLNA access to a home NAS or PC.

I can't imagine needing more!

My TV has enthernet and can get all the popular streaming services. And I can plug in a USB thumb drive with content.
Newer TVs add to this DLNA access to a home NAS or PC.

I can't imagine needing more!

Your reply perfectly encapsulates my issues with marketing people.

A fair number of people like to say "That's good enough.". Marketing people exploit that view and those people. As soon as your horizon expands, you need to buy something new. They gain and you look for a new basic standard. Items out of the factory are crippled by intention and design.

I like marketing people who are big thinkers and take a kitchen sink approach, as long as the kitchen sink is as easy to use as a kitchen sink. They will still make a lot of money as technology improves and new easy to use features can be added to the kitchen sink as upgrades. They will own the market from the onset and as time goes on.

There's not many in the latter group, unfortunately, as there is little demand for them by the majority of tech users. Microsoft sells product subscriptions. Apple sells glitz subscriptions. Android sells the rest. Everyone concentrates on functional obsolescence and subscription based revenue. Users have learned to settle.

I plan in the future to buy a Mac Mini which will serve a home automation server; my question is if it makes sense to use Mac Mini also as file / media / web server and sell the NAS. Mac Mini will be stored in a separate room and I do not have direct control on it.