What's new

WiFi-router with robust media server for large media libraries?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Buy a NAS - seriously...

A single bay NAS will do a much better job than any router... they're optimized for this...
I understand that some people have higher requirements for NAS (like running a Plex server). But for me, my 2016-era router does an adequate job serving FLAC audio & HD-video from the attached 4TB USB-powered HDD. It also works great for file-sharing & nightly PC backups for my 4-member family. I currently have no need to spend $200-$400 for a NAS, and $15-$20 per year to power a NAS. Even if somebody gave me a NAS for free, I wouldn't install it because it would bring no noticeably additional value to me, and I wouldn't want to burn the electricity & environment to power it. (My USB-powered HDD costs ~$1/yr to power.)

I was just wondering if I upgrade my router (for faster Internet downloads) if I could get one that has a media-server that works out-of-the-box, or if I'd have to go through the hassle of implementing a USB-based swap-file again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!