What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1.... The kernel is really old. But I bet the people involved in the firmware development do not want to touch the kernel. My 86u has kernel 4.1.27, which if fine. My 87U has kernel 2.6.36. wow...

Eric said before that it wasn't Asus' fault
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/latest-kernel-version-for-ac66.23956/#post-178201

Your future won't be any Broadcom based router you mean. The kernel is determined by the SoC manufacturer, not by the router manufacturer. Asus's Broadcom ARM routers use the exact same 2.6.36 kernel as Netgear's own ARM routers such as the R7000 or R8000.

So in the end, blame Broadcom, not Asus/Netgear/DLink/etc... for this.

When using 384.4_2 on 2.4GHZ, channels 1,6 or 11 are selected automatically.

When I upgraded to 384.5 Beta 2, the other channels are selected instead..Now I have to pick channels 1, 6 and 11 manually...

Using Asus RT-AC1900P

The channel selector daemon and its configuration are closed source, like everything else related to wifi.

RT-AC86U, the latest commit firmware.

Test SSH idle timeout feature, plz.
It does not work to me.
It is working fine for me.

Actually freaked me out for a bit. Thought I was going insane.

"I had a putty window open. I know I did... where the hell did it go? ARGHHHH!"

No. It shows if you have AiProtection enabled. It is related to the AiProtection's version.
I have no AiProtection things enabled. Never even touched the 'tab'. It always shows up as soon as I enable QoS. Specifically adaptive. It needs definitions in order to function.

@RMerlin - quick question about the AIProtection page... the graph of attacks only shows the last week. Is it possible (a) to have the graph show a user-definable time period, -AND/OR- (b) be able to export the log below the graph? I've tried doing the ol' copy-and-paste and it doesn't seem to work. Thanks for your expertise!

Last edited:
I'm unable to upgrade to 384.5_beta2 on one of my two devices--the other worked fine. On my RT-AC68W router, beta2 is working great without issues. On my RT-AC68P access point (which is actually a TM-AC1900 that was flashed to think it's a 68P), any time I try to upgrade from beta1 to beta2, I just get the "Please wait, applying settings..." screen for about 10 seconds before it goes away without flashing anything.

Nothing is showing up in the system log, and no permutation of rebooting or connecting via hard wire or wireless gets any different result on that device. Anything else I can do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

I'm unable to upgrade to 384.5_beta2 on one of my two devices--the other worked fine. On my RT-AC68W router, beta2 is working great without issues. On my RT-AC68P access point (which is actually a TM-AC1900 that was flashed to think it's a 68P), any time I try to upgrade from beta1 to beta2, I just get the "Please wait, applying settings..." screen for about 10 seconds before it goes away without flashing anything.

Nothing is showing up in the system log, and no permutation of rebooting or connecting via hard wire or wireless gets any different result on that device. Anything else I can do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

I dont think it's supported anymore (if ever)...

Have a look at this:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...on-3-0-0-4-384-20648.45829/page-2#post-397330

Thanks!

The TM-AC1900 is not supported by this software. Due to changes by ASUS you will no longer be able to upgrade the TM-AC1900 with any software other then the stock software without a lot of headaches.

When using 384.4_2 on 2.4GHZ, channels 1,6 or 11 are selected automatically.

When I upgraded to 384.5 Beta 2, the other channels are selected instead..Now I have to pick channels 1, 6 and 11 manually...

Using Asus RT-AC1900P
If you are outside US you should take 1-5-9-13 and use all 4 independent nets instead of only 3.
Nobody has working 802.11b devices supporting WPA2 which would use broader 22MHz DSSS-channels.
Or do you leave 1 channel between 5G nets? You not even get the chance to do so as they are not selectable (e.g. 37/38/39).

I dont understand why they all still defaults to 1-6-11, even in US ch. 12/13 are allowed with weak (so I commit unsuable) power nowadays!

-> ALL vendors should use 1-5-9-(13) worldwide per default and no channels between, but most if not all devices I have seen will stupid take all 13 channels in auto-mode blocking all reasonable concepts one is thinking about.
Inter-channels make a lot of problems and should be forbidden same as in 5G!
Much better to reuse a channel than take one with 5MHz spacing.

Last edited:
68U with B2:
Have to SSH restart_httpd after every change of Wifi settings, UI not responsive.
Config as AP without any activated features and multi factory resets with initialize done.

I dont think it's supported anymore (if ever)...

Have a look at this:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...on-3-0-0-4-384-20648.45829/page-2#post-397330

The TM-AC1900 is not supported by this software. Due to changes by ASUS you will no longer be able to upgrade the TM-AC1900 with any software other then the stock software without a lot of headaches.

Oh, huh, I totally missed the memo that Asus had KOed those--thanks for the info. It's unfortunate that SNB deleted the thread that discusses this--I totally understand that they don't support discussion of circumventing things, but I'm genuinely curious what it was that changed here, and that discussion appears to have been deleted in the crossfire.

So, that brings up what I do moving forward. I run my ex-TM device purely as an access point. It's connected via hardwire to my router, so I don't care about things like AiMesh.

Is there any real security concern with leaving an AP's firmware static? I would never dream of leaving a router unpatched, but do APs get meaningful security updates sometimes too or are they essentially just dumb portals?

I've been having problems trying to schedule a reboot. I have my router scheduled to reboot everyday, but for some reason it's not rebooting. I did a restore and that seemed to fix it for a while, but it's didn't reboot again today. I even changed the time I wanted to reboot and it still wouldn't. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Merlin - quick question about the AIProtection page... the graph of attacks only shows the last week. Is it possible (a) to have the graph show a user-definable time period, -AND/OR- (b) be able to export the log below the graph? I've tried doing the ol' copy-and-paste and it doesn't seem to work. Thanks for your expertise!

I don't have access to the data used to generate those charts.

I dont understand why they all still defaults to 1-6-11, even in US ch. 12/13 are allowed with weak (so I commit unsuable) power nowadays!

They're not allowed, and since the vast majority of clients won't be able to connect to these channels, they shouldn't be used either (even if within a region like Japan that allows them - lots of clients will still fail to connect to channels 12 or 13).

They're not allowed, and since the vast majority of clients won't be able to connect to these channels, they shouldn't be used either (even if within a region like Japan that allows them - lots of clients will still fail to connect to channels 12 or 13).
Hi

look here, they are allowed now by FCC in US (under low powered condition): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

copied from wikipedia: In the U.S., 802.11 operation in the channels 12 and 13 is allowed under low powered conditions. The 2.4 GHz Part 15 band in the U.S. allows spread-spectrum operation as long as the 50 dB bandwidth of the signal is within the range of 2,400–2,483.5 MHz[13] which wholly encompasses both channels 12 and 13. A Federal Communications Commission (FCC) document clarifies that only channel 14 is forbidden and that low-power transmitters with low-gain antennas may operate legally in channels 12 and 13

And whole world allows 12/13, only in US and Canada these restrictions.
All my clients (about 100 I tested) are able to connect on channel 13, never had a problem with clients.
And at least you could use channel 9 and upper 13 in 20/40MHz config, than clients can use what they get.

FCC allows it since 2014: https://hctamerica.com/technology-news/fcc-notice-about-wi-fi-channels-12-and-13/

Last edited:
I've been having problems trying to schedule a reboot. I have my router scheduled to reboot everyday, but for some reason it's not rebooting. I did a restore and that seemed to fix it for a while, but it's didn't reboot again today. I even changed the time I wanted to reboot and it still wouldn't. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Scheduling, whether for wireless, or reboot, has been broken for some time now.
Both OE & Merlin firmware, so I’m thinking a closed source issue?
Sometimes a simple reboot will fix things temporarily. 3 days seems to be about as long as it/they stay working for. :-(

Scheduling, whether for wireless, or reboot, has been broken for some time now.
Both OE & Merlin firmware, so I’m thinking a closed source issue?
Sometimes a simple reboot will fix things temporarily. 3 days seems to be about as long as it/they stay working for. :-(

I didn’t know this. It didn’t start happening until I installed beta1 and now beta2. But anyway, thanks for the reply and the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow-up to https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.46352/page-15#post-404437 I got no upload spikes using stock Asus firmware. Watched 14.2 GB of Twitch and downloaded a 10gig game from Ubisoft. Switching back to the beta software now.

Well. It didn't take long. Already see the upload spike after watching Twitch for 1hr 20mins or so.
Screenshots: https://i.imgur.com/lJRoMs5.png and https://i.imgur.com/P2OPY8D.png So far this has been easily reproducible with the beta.

When I installed the beta I did not change anything with Traffic Monitoring or any other setting. It's still saving in RAM and not the USB stick. The Trend Micro statistics doesn't show the upload spike. So, something is certainly going on with this beta that is not happening with the stock firmware. ( RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_20648-g21e3702.trx )

Router Model : AC66u B1
I was on 384.4_2 & decided go to 384.5 Beta 02.
I did Factory reset before update to the 384.5 beta2 & factory reset after update.

USB 3.0 Pen Drive not mounted/detected. Yes as i said, did a factory reset. no luck
I can't go back to 384.4_2 maybe the new verification method won't let me to downgrade.
Then I downloaded official Firmware & update, USB 3.0 mounted without any problem.
I dirty flashed beta 2 again & USB detected without any problem. but after I factory reset, USB 3.0 Pen drive not mounted/detected again.

looks like i have to stuck in this way :( Can't downgrade to 384.4_2, won't go back to official again.

Please fix it @RMerlin

EDiT ; Enabled - reduce 3.0 USB interference & looks like working 3.0 usb. Disabled it again & no usb3.0

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!