What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.60 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am new here, but have been reading extensively since buying my RT-AC68U a week ago
It has been a frustrating week!
Currently on the beta to see if I can get some level of stability, which sounds counter intuitive I realise.

My issues are almost all to do with the ethernet side of the router, and generally occur whenever I am inside the GUI.
Doing almost anything inside the GUI causes things to restart, often more than once, but theres never anything shown in the log. I wish I knew what was restarting, I have tried to increase the log levels.
During this time, SSH to the router will also drop, but wireless connections from my phone will continue to work.
I had the issue with the settings have been changed restart black writing on grey screen for a while, but I finally managed to resolve that, I think that was a legacy cached issue from the ASUS firmware prior to upgrading.

I did the whole flash, reset settings procedure to ensure nothing I had set was causing the issue. I actually have a very basic setup, factory defaults all the way, except I have a USB drive plugged in.

Heres one way I can make the ethernet LAN crash every single time, in the main network map, view the client list, internet keeps working on ethernet connected PC, close client map, internet stops, web gui freezes, needs to refresh browser multiple times to get back to GUI, ethernet stops, no access to internet for 30 seconds or so, no entries in log.

I dont know if this is a beta issue, a general issue, but its hugely frustrating.

I am new here, but have been reading extensively since buying my RT-AC68U a week ago
It has been a frustrating week!
Currently on the beta to see if I can get some level of stability, which sounds counter intuitive I realise.

My issues are almost all to do with the ethernet side of the router, and generally occur whenever I am inside the GUI.
Doing almost anything inside the GUI causes things to restart, often more than once, but theres never anything shown in the log. I wish I knew what was restarting, I have tried to increase the log levels.
During this time, SSH to the router will also drop, but wireless connections from my phone will continue to work.
I had the issue with the settings have been changed restart black writing on grey screen for a while, but I finally managed to resolve that, I think that was a legacy cached issue from the ASUS firmware prior to upgrading.

I did the whole flash, reset settings procedure to ensure nothing I had set was causing the issue. I actually have a very basic setup, factory defaults all the way, except I have a USB drive plugged in.

Heres one way I can make the ethernet LAN crash every single time, in the main network map, view the client list, internet keeps working on ethernet connected PC, close client map, internet stops, web gui freezes, needs to refresh browser multiple times to get back to GUI, ethernet stops, no access to internet for 30 seconds or so, no entries in log.

I dont know if this is a beta issue, a general issue, but its hugely frustrating.

I don't have a single problem with this beta release. It's as stable as it gets. So, at least we know the problem you're experiencing is not wide spread. I tried exactly what you suggested in couple of last lines of your post, and everything works perfectly fine on my end.

Maybe some other forum members could shed some light on what might be happening with your router.

Cheers!

I do access via IP, and I can re get access now a few minutes after it drops just by refreshing, it no longer goes to the cached "IP or Port has changed" page with black writing on grey background.
If it run a ping -t on google.com when I mess about in the GUI, such as doing the client list close as described above, I will get request timed out. I can still ping the router 192.168.1.1 when this occurs, and my devices connected via wifi still get internet.
Something I am doing in the GUI is killing my ethernet

Also I have no antivirus and I currently have the routers firewall disabled
I also have windows firewall off

How it worked when you was not on beta?
Have you tried with differents browser?
Maybe you can tried the stable release for now, 380.59 to see if you got the same problem.

Browsers all behave the same, but I think I will have to downgrade the hard way prior to the new 'non downgradeable' version and try that, new out of the box I immediately updated to the latest ASUS firmware, then immediately had the cached settings have been changed page issue, which was resolved by installing merlin and various cache tweaks in chrome and internet explorer.

I do now however have a way of creating the issue without involving the GUI, it seems whenever the router gives an IP to an ethernet connected device, it stops serving DNS.
To replicate this I have systematically plugged in my xbox, a wdtv live and a raspberry pi, to different ethernet ports, and watched as my pc connected to an ethernet port running a ping test starts getting request timed out to google or similar (it can still ping the router)

I doubt this is an issue with the merlin firmware

This forum is cool, 3 responses in an hour of posting my query even though I am a newbie.

How it worked when you was not on beta?
Have you tried with differents browser?
Maybe you can tried the stable release for now, 380.59 to see if you got the same problem.
OK! I am an absolute idiot and think I have solved all my issues.
My previous router prior to the ASUS purchase was at address 10.0.0.138, I never had issues with this but it was very basic, hence the ASUS purchase because of the fun factor.
Anyway, inside my entertainment cabinet which has a few things like an xbox and the cable tv box which is also connected to the internet, I had what I thought was a switch.
Just now I was looking at the client list again, the thing that repeatedly crashes my internet access on the ethernet connected devices. I saw listed at 192.168.1.1 something reporting as NETCOMM.
Now, Netcomm is an Australian company (I am in oz) that make network gear. I assumed the ancient 'switch' inside the back of the entertainment cabinet was a dumb netcomm 10/100 5 port switch, but it turns out its a wifi router, with the wifi disabled, but is (was) answering to 192.168.1.1
This was never an issue with my last 3 routers as they were all on 10.x.x.x, but with the ASUS, I believe this to have been the source of all my issues.

Its now unplugged and I just clicked through every option in the GUI and I got no ping timeouts, so I am off to the store to buy a new gigabit switch to replace it.

Thanks for the quick responses, sorry to spam the forum for something that was my own stupid fault :)

Router : RT-AC87U

After updating from 380.59 the 2.4 GHz WLAN is not comming up. 5GHz is running fine.
A look into the syslog tells the following :

Code:
Jul 16 16:24:21 kernel: wl_module_init: passivemode set to 0x0
Jul 16 16:24:21 kernel: wl_module_init: igs set to 0x1
Jul 16 16:24:21 kernel: wl_module_init: txworkq set to 0x0
Jul 16 16:24:21 kernel: wl driver 6.37.14.126 (r561982) failed with code 21

This happens on every config update through the Webinterface
Has somebody maybe another solution beside downgrading ?

Router : RT-AC87U

After updating from 380.59 the 2.4 GHz WLAN is not comming up. 5GHz is running fine.
A look into the syslog tells the following :

Code:
Jul 16 16:24:21 kernel: wl_module_init: passivemode set to 0x0
Jul 16 16:24:21 kernel: wl_module_init: igs set to 0x1
Jul 16 16:24:21 kernel: wl_module_init: txworkq set to 0x0
Jul 16 16:24:21 kernel: wl driver 6.37.14.126 (r561982) failed with code 21

This happens on every config update through the Webinterface
Has somebody maybe another solution beside downgrading ?

Did you perform a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration afterwards?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.60 Beta 1 is now available for all ARM models only (Asus's latest GPL release is missing required components for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U).

UPDATE: Beta 2 is now available, including a pair of fixes to the WAN code.

Please keep discussions on this specific firmware release. Any off-topic discussions will be either ignored or deleted. Also, always specify your router model when posting any feedback.
I was running 380.60 Beta 2 on my Asus RT-AC68U rev C1. I have PPPOE connection, use AiProtection, adaptive QOS, AiCloud, USB sharing, Asus DDNS, web history function and traffic analyzer. What I found out is that RAM usage increases everyday from around 90MB to 180MB in about 8 days, and when it hits the 9th day, I could no longer access the router web interface or connect to the router with Asus's android app, yet the internet was working properly. I saved log, after manual reboot, and flashed 380.59 to my router and it works perfectly fine for now. Do you want me to send system log to you?

I was running 380.60 Beta 2 on my Asus RT-AC68U rev C1. I have PPPOE connection, use AiProtection, adaptive QOS, AiCloud, USB sharing, Asus DDNS, web history function and traffic analyzer. What I found out is that RAM usage increases everyday from around 90MB to 180MB in about 8 days, and when it hits the 9th day, I could no longer access the router web interface or connect to the router with Asus's android app, yet the internet was working properly. I saved log, after manual reboot, and flashed 380.59 to my router and it works perfectly fine for now. Do you want me to send system log to you?

System logs don't help, you will have to figure out what specific service you enabled that is eating your RAM.

My own RT-AC88U is now at 24 days without a reboot, and RAM usage is barely above 100 MB (that includes running an OpenVPN server).

Just installed 60 Beta 2 and my Polycom VOIP phone has stopped working. I'm in the UK and the setting of WAN SIP passthrough is still Disabled as it has to be. Worked fine in 59.

Everything else looks fine. Is there are other setting in WAN NAT passthrough that has changed between the two firmwares?

Many thanks for any help given.

I have noticed on this Beta build, for some reason after a service interruption from my provider, it takes a manual reboot for my 5300 to get an IP address. Here in Calgary we have had some pretty intense storms over the past few weeks, and on 4 different occasions I lost internet connectivity due to my ISP going down. Each time the modem came back up and was online, I had to manually reset the router to get it to update the IP. The first time I only waited about 30 min, but over the course of the next 3 outages, up until last night I waited longer each time.

Yesterday, the modem and service was online and restored around 1730. By 2130 the router still had not refreshed and it continued to indicate the service was down, I have to manually restart the router. I know on previous incarnations of Merlin, I never had to restart the router to gain access again. At first I thought this was just a glitch, but it is pretty consistent now on the 4th ISP drop.

Has anyone else noticed this? Has the default refresh time changed? This issue seems to be slightly different than others, I have never had to reset the router due to loss of internet connectivity. It appears to be only after my modem goes down.

Last edited:
Although, my internet went flaky for a bit earlier and had this in log:

Jul 15 18:10:17 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Jul 15 18:10:17 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Jul 15 18:10:22 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.
Jul 15 18:10:22 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!

But, not sure if this is really a router/firmware or ISP issue.
I have same errors and lost internet for one minute....i think it is a router firmware issue....i wish in next update we get fix this....

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton

Just installed 60 Beta 2 and my Polycom VOIP phone has stopped working. I'm in the UK and the setting of WAN SIP passthrough is still Disabled as it has to be. Worked fine in 59.

Everything else looks fine. Is there are other setting in WAN NAT passthrough that has changed between the two firmwares?

Many thanks for any help given.

The SIP passthrough behaviour was recently changed by Asus. "Disabled" now also blocks port 5060. You need to set it to either Enabled or Enabled + NAT Helper.

Has anyone else noticed this? Has the default refresh time changed? This issue seems to be slightly different than others, I have never had to reset the router due to loss of internet connectivity. It appears to be only after my modem goes down.

Asus broke something in the wanduck service, and that code is a complete maze, impossible for me to debug. We'll have to wait and hope that their next release will resolve that issue (3831 does contain a number of changes to wanduck). It doesn't happen to everyone, and it doesn't happen for me, so I can't do anything about it.

Asus broke something in the wanduck service, and that code is a complete maze, impossible for me to debug. We'll have to wait and hope that their next release will resolve that issue (3831 does contain a number of changes to wanduck). It doesn't happen to everyone, and it doesn't happen for me, so I can't do anything about it.
3831 added TTL values(enable/disable) in the WAN section. I'm not sure what's the purpose??
ttl.jpg

I have same errors and lost internet for one minute....i think it is a router firmware issue....i wish in next update we get fix this....

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton
Using a AC56U w/beta2. I noticed this exact log error when I lost internet connectivity also. Happens randomly and but not often. A reboot fixes it. I am using Time Warner cable. My parents have the exact same set up at their house, only they use Comcast and I haven't seen that issue yet on their router. Otherwise, a good build from Merlin.

Using a AC56U w/beta2. I noticed this exact log error when I lost internet connectivity also. Happens randomly and but not often. A reboot fixes it. I am using Time Warner cable. My parents have the exact same set up at their house, only they use Comcast and I haven't seen that issue yet on their router. Otherwise, a good build from Merlin.

Yeah. It's weird. It happened on the 15th and I haven't got another one since and I haven't noticed my internet going out either. I don't do anything and it comes back alive. But also since the time I have had beta 2 installed my cable modem reset itself once and I've had issues with cable TV channels.. so lot of loss due to coax cable disconnections due to working on that. Of course I know why I loose internet when I undo a coax cable. That's why it's hard to know sometimes if it's ISP related or not. Since others are seeing this, probably related to the firmware in some respect.

3831 added TTL values(enable/disable) in the WAN section. I'm not sure what's the purpose??
View attachment 6812

There's one Asian ISP that applies a TTL of 1 to their inbound traffic, which means that the traffic will only work on the first device right behind the modem, preventing the use of a router (which would add a second hop).

They added something close to that over a year ago, but it was half broken, so I kept it disabled.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!