What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be surprised if I needed to iterate through each version in order to prevent bugs like this from occurring. Is there any documentation that mentions this? I think I was only a couple of releases behind. Also, everything seems fine after flashing the latest stable with no factory reset.
There is no rule to if you need a Factory reset or not; depending on model and settings one may need it each time, other if jumped 3-x version, and for others it works after x dirty upgrades; no one can tell you!
And yes it is mentioned here in forums many, many, many times. In read-me too I think.

I would be surprised if I needed to iterate through each version in order to prevent bugs like this from occurring. Is there any documentation that mentions this? I think I was only a couple of releases behind. Also, everything seems fine after flashing the latest stable with no factory reset.
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Installation

• While it is generally not necessary to restore to factory defaults, it's not a bad idea, especially if there is a big jump in version number (e.g. from 112 to 178). No need to do the 30/30/30 dance as required by DD-WRT - just do a plain Factory Default reset, or turn the device on while keeping the WPS button pressed. (The procedure can be different from one model to another.)
  • If something looks weird, don't waste too much time: save your settings, reset to factory default, reconfigure the basics, and see if the issue is resolved. If not, you can always restore your saved settings and do some more advanced troubleshooting.

Just wanted to ask.. why is "Enable local NTP server" disabled by default ? isn't it necessary for the router to set the clock? or is ntpd running and clock is set and synchronized without enabling "local NTP server" on Administrator menu?

Just wanted to ask.. why is "Enable local NTP server" disabled by default ? isn't it necessary for the router to set the clock? or is ntpd running and clock is set and synchronized without enabling "local NTP server" on Administrator menu?
The NTP client on the router will sync the clock. The NTP server will provide time to clients on your network if enabled.

Router gradually slowing down last 24 hours...finally it quit delivering at all. Had to unplug for 10 minutes to be sure it will restart correct. After restart I have full speed again. Strange…… 384.12-b1

Router gradually slowing down last 24 hours...finally it quit delivering at all. Had to unplug for 10 minutes to be sure it will restart correct. After restart I have full speed again. Strange…… 384.12-b1
Did the loss of delivery happen to both hardwire and wireless? or only wireless?

D
Did the loss of delivery happen to both hardwire and wireless? or only wireless?
Didn't use anything wired at this moment sorry.....but both 2.4 and 5 were affected

Did you set the wireless channels manually. For me control channel 157 for 5Ghz and 3 for 2.4Ghz works the best. I also limit the 2.4GHz to 20MHz radio only. Also check if 'Airtime Fairness' and 'Universal Beamforming' is disabled.

I've had wifi issues since 384.10 with wifi.

Tried Factory reset? If not, do not expect it to just work...

+1. Have the same issue with a 86u router. 2.4g connections are dropped after a few hours. Reboot of the router fixes it for several hours.

Have noticed it as well on my 86u. Plan to do a factory reset and configure from scratch to see if that alleviates it. Haven’t done one since I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problems here with the 2.4 band on my 86u , fix channel 1(20mhz), no smart connect
Beta 1

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    14.7 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
RT-AC88U here with 384.12 Beta 1. Router up for 8 days now with no delivery problems, wireless or wired, of any kind that I can detect. Router handles wireless connections from a number of devices on both 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

So, a new issue that I am tentatively calling a potential "security issue"... installed 384.12 BETA 1 today, and did my usual check with the GRC "Shields Up!" service ports probe tool.

For the first time *ever*, my system doesn't appear fully "stealthed", where Gibson defines "stealthed" WRT a specific port as my computer should look like a hole in the Internet (and not respond at all), as opposed to saying "no way, go away".

(My computer is running Windows 10 Pro build 1903, and my ASUS RT-AX88U has my normal NAT enabled.)
The port? 445

So, I naturally recalled the current changelog entry vis-a-vis
"
NEW: Added WS-Discovery support. This allows Windows clients to detect the router's shared USB drives even if SMBv1 support is disabled.
"

Is there a connection? And, should port 445 become visible on the WAN? I certainly see why having it on the LAN may in fact be desirable if one wants these services, but exposing it to this extent on the WAN (even if it is reporting "closed")?

Finally, note that I am implicitly assuming this has to do with our favorite router firmware, BTW. ;)

Answers / investigations / education [attempts] welcomed.

Last edited:
Did you set the wireless channels manually. For me control channel 157 for 5Ghz and 3 for 2.4Ghz works the best. I also limit the 2.4GHz to 20MHz radio only. Also check if 'Airtime Fairness' and 'Universal Beamforming' is disabled.

Always using manual modes. In our house Channel 6 and 44 works best. Regarding beanforming or not.....I don't understand. If WiFi is DEAD and only works again by disconnection router from power, it must be something else. Beanforming is aboute coverage and strength. For These problems started from 384.12

Universal Beanforming is Enable and Airtime Fairness is diable. Default from Merlin. Guess he knows whats best.

Last edited:
(My computer is running Windows 10 Pro build 1903, and my ASUS RT-AX88U has my normal NAT enabled.)
The port? 445

So, I naturally recalled the current changelog entry vis-a-vis
"
NEW: Added WS-Discovery support. This allows Windows clients to detect the router's shared USB drives even if SMBv1 support is disabled.
"

Is there a connection? And, should port 445 become visible on the WAN? I certainly see why having it on the LAN may in fact be desirable if one wants these services, but exposing it to this extent on the WAN (even if it is reporting "closed")?

Finally, note that I am implicitly assuming this has to do with our favorite router firmware, BTW. ;)

The router doesn't expose port 445 to the WAN. If that port is visible, then either you disabled the router firewall, or you forwarded it. By default all WAN ports are blocked.

(even if it is reporting "closed")?

This generally indicates that the ISP is actively blocking that port, to protect their own customers.

A closed port does not mean that a port is exposed BTW. It simply means that the connection was actively rejected.

As for wsdd2, it only listens to LAN the LAN interface, and it also uses completely different ports (5355/tcp and 3702/tcp).

So, a new issue that I am tentatively calling a potential "security issue"... installed 384.12 BETA 1 today, and did my usual check with the GRC "Shields Up!" service ports probe tool.

For the first time *ever*, my system doesn't appear fully "stealthed", where Gibson defines "stealthed" WRT a specific port as my computer should look like a hole in the Internet (and not respond at all), as opposed to saying "no way, go away".

The port? 445

No such issue on the 4 routers I have flashed with this Beta.

Power cycle your router and try again , check your firewall ........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!