What's new

Cable tester help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johnnychai

New Around Here
By using cable tester can know what is the length...?
What brand and model that I can buy in Singapore

I wan to know the length of the cable

By using cable tester can know what is the length...?
What brand and model that I can buy in Singapore

I wan to know the length of the cable

Chamoxa at Sim Lim Sq #04 has the NF-308 cable tracing and tester kit for sale.

It will do cable length testing accurate to +/- 0.2m for lengths 5m and above (you might want to calibrate it with a known length of the cable you are using for better accuracy).

Aside from that, it does wiremap tests & comes with a tone tester as well.

Hi there I use to had.. But is a waste of money
The cable Length not accurate, keep on need adjust.

Any other good cable tester

Hi,
Checked eBay? All kinda tester, sky is the limit on price.

Hi there I use to had.. But is a waste of money
The cable Length not accurate, keep on need adjust.

Any other good cable tester

The tester is good to +/-0.2m after calibration. I've not encountered an issue with it being wildly inaccurate.

It is meant for structured cabling installations that span a significantly longer distance; typical runs span 15m and more. Also, as an installer, you should have access to pre-made lengths of the specific cable used to calibrate the tester for that particular cable type - each different cable make and model has a different design and the TDR will respond differently.

The TDR simply allows rapid diagnosis of issues like pair breakages and shorts. Further, it allows the installer to identify the approximate location of the problem and do a repair in-situ rather than replace the entire run.

If you are looking for something that actually allows you to qualify/ certify patch cords, buy a Fluke or Ideal Networks tester. These will run in the 4 to 5 digits figures.

I used a Fluke LinkRunner AT 1000 to check lengths, and to work with undocumented cabling (it can actually report what a connected switchport is if your switches support LLCP or CDP, or be used with an Intellitone digital toner if they aren't connected). However, if you want to certify cables, you'd need their CableIQ tester line.

I've just got back from Sim Lim Tower and the Fluke shop in the basement is selling the MS2-100 for <SGD700. If that's within your budget then you can look into it.

It will not, however, generate reports like the Linkrunner series or CIQ series would.