What's new

Can I run repeater mode (not WDS) with repeater's LAN isolated from host's LAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Razzmatazz

Occasional Visitor
Can I run repeater mode (not WDS) such that the repeater's LAN is isolated from host WiFi router's LAN?

Background if it helps...
I'm currently using DD-WRT on my RT-N66U to repeat my neighbor's WPA2-protected Internet service into my house. (We split the cost.) It works, but DD-WRT has NAS & performance bugs, so I'd like to switch to ASUSwrt-Merlin (or other firmware). Back in January when I looked at ASUSwrt-Merlin, in repeater mode, the host & repeater LANs merged into one LAN. (I don't want my neighbor to be able to see my network & file shares, and vice versa.) But ASUS seems to have made SIGNIFICANT changes to their firmware since then so I'm wondering if the host's LAN can now be isolated form the repeater LANs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have 2 AC68, and I couldn't connect 2 AC68 wirelessly.
I install DDWRT on one of my AC68 and right now I have no issue to connect 2 router. my main AC68 is running OpenVPN, and I am trying to use PPTP connection on my DDWRT AC68 connecting to the main AC68 router.

@Razmatazz:

I do not believe you can separate the host & repeater LANS while using your RT-N66U in repeater mode with Merlin's firmware. I use two RT-AC66's along with an RT-AC3200, and run one of the AC66's as a repeater (and before I had the AC3200, I ran one AC66 as the main router and the other as a repeater). The repeater mode works great and will obviously let you share wifi with your neighbor, but I don't think you can run the repeater on a separate subnet and have it still act as a repeater.

Straight out of the box with Merlin firmware added, there is no setting of which I am aware that would let you run the repeater in what would essentially be "guest" mode (i.e., separate and apart from the original LAN's router), or which would block your LAN shares on the repeater side from being viewed by someone having access to the main router's LAN. It might be possible to set it up, but not using the standard GUI as far as I know.

Thank you jegesq!!! I'm disappointed by your answer but I REALLY appreciate you saving me multiple hours of trial and failure frustration!

If your neighbour's router has a guest wifi network on which he disabled access to LAN and you repeat that, that would block your access to his LAN. But then you also want him blocked from your LAN. Could you do that with a second router behind your repeater router running a different IP address range? Would that setup work?

Thanks martinr! I can change my neighbor's router's settings as I see fit. (It's a stock ASUS RT-N66U). And I could add another router on my side for isolation. But I'd rather continue using my current DD-WRT repeater solution (with its buggy NAS & slower throughput).