What's new

Can only access router set up page via iPhone not my computer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMT

New Around Here
Hi - first post - but thank you to all for the great information on this forum.

We are (the unfortunate) owners of a problematic Asus RT-AC87U. We recently switched over to the ASUSWRT firmware 380.62. It had been working fairly well for us until one morning a red light on the router came on. I rebooted, reset, 30-30-30 reset etc. I was finally able to get the router to work again but now I can only access the setup page through my iPhone. I've tried resetting everything a second time, restarted computer, restarted cable modem. I even tried a different browser.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

30-30-30 reset doesn't work on Asus routers.

Try using a different browser.

Try flashing the latest RMerlin release (380.62_1).

Followed by a full reset to factory defaults after flashing the latest firmware and then a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

I've tried a different browser. I have also tried several times to do a recovery install of the latest Asus firmware but the Asus software will not recognize the router. I'm not sure how to flash the latest RMerlin release without being able to access the webpage from my browser.

At least I have access so it's not an emergency situation.

I've tried a different browser. I have also tried several times to do a recovery install of the latest Asus firmware but the Asus software will not recognize the router. I'm not sure how to flash the latest RMerlin release without being able to access the webpage from my browser.

You've followed the steps in the link below?

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000814

Sort of...I did use that procedure a week or so ago when downgrading to the previous Asus firmware and before upgrading to the RMerlin release. It worked fine then. I have not tried this on the latest issue. I will give it a shot in the morning when nobody is using the router.

I would use the recovery to reinstall the latest Asus firmware or should I be using the recovery software on the RMerlin release?

Sort of...I did use that procedure a week or so ago when downgrading to the previous Asus firmware and before upgrading to the RMerlin release. It worked fine then. I have not tried this on the latest issue. I will give it a shot in the morning when nobody is using the router.

I would use the recovery to reinstall the latest Asus firmware or should I be using the recovery software on the RMerlin release?

You can use it to install any .trx based firmware.

Can you ping the router then?

Yes - I was able to successfully ping the router. I am not very knowledgeable about all this but I: opened an elevated command prompt in Windows 10. ipconfig, copy and pasted default gateway under Ethernet adapter lan (my computer connects by Ethernet cable) and then used the ping command. All came back with zero errors.

Are you trying to access the router by name or by IP address? If by name use the IP (default gateway address)

An update: After prayers to the router deities and much fear and trepidation I was able to finally upgrade to the latest RMerlin release. Even though I followed the instructions exactly it still took several tries. Even then, the router page issue did not resolve. I tried Chrome, Edge and then finally original MS Explorer. Explorer browser suddenly worked and I was in.

I have NO idea what get's into this router sometimes and I honestly pity any poor unsuspecting amature consumer who has ended up with one of these things. I used to be a huge Asus fan but this router and the hours of issues I've had have just turned me off completely of anything to do with Asus.

Now that I have an account with SNB I'm sure I'll be back :) Thanks for your all help.

An update: After prayers to the router deities and much fear and trepidation I was able to finally upgrade to the latest RMerlin release. Even though I followed the instructions exactly it still took several tries. Even then, the router page issue did not resolve. I tried Chrome, Edge and then finally original MS Explorer. Explorer browser suddenly worked and I was in.

I have NO idea what get's into this router sometimes and I honestly pity any poor unsuspecting amature consumer who has ended up with one of these things. I used to be a huge Asus fan but this router and the hours of issues I've had have just turned me off completely of anything to do with Asus.

Now that I have an account with SNB I'm sure I'll be back :) Thanks for your all help.
Wonder you cleared cache of those non-working browsers?

Your experience is similar to mine, although my router is RT-AC68P. I find that the web interface of ASUSWRT is extremely sensitive to the browser that is used. I use browsers Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera on various machines. They all crap out in the same way: I can log in to the router via its web page, but if I attempt to change the configuration of the router in any way, the web interface immediately jumps to the login page.

Is this your issue?

My solution is a lightly used browser on a lightly used notebook computer. Using this combination of hardware and software, I am able to control my RT-AC68P.

I don't know if the problem is in my browsers or my computers. Naturally, I tend to configure all of my computers and browsers in a similar fashion, according to my personal preferences. I wish that I could narrow down the configuration item(s) that cause the ASUSWRT embedded web server to crap out.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!